A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Cutting Tutorial- the southern US [images galore]  (Read 7324 times)
Tags for this thread: papercutting , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twoeyedcyclops

Hi, I like you.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2010 09:58:49 PM »

Or maybe it's just more like... my process? I'm going to show you how I made the next in my series of birds, women, and stereotypes: The United States Southern Farm Girl.

I didn't get any pictures of the supplies, besides the paper, but I use Nori glue and double sided tape. I tend to only use the tape when I am doing something that needs to stay put if I want it to, but with the ability to move it until I want it fixed. I also NEVER USE CONSTRUCTION PAPER. It's wretched stuff. It fades, rips, and just.. blegh. Not a fan. It's good for practice, though! The other important thing I have been using recently is foam tape. It's neat stuff.

For cutting, I use Cutter Bee scissors and a TON of x-acto blades. The scissors have tiny sharp points are so much sharper than your average rusty kitchen scissors. It is also very, very important to keep your x-acto blades sharp to avoid tearing and ugly cuts. Also, cutting mats are top notch.

I have also started using my light box. They come in very handy! I got mine really cheap on sale last year.

And another thing: chocolate and kitties.

Of course, everything starts with a sketch. I try not to get too attached to them because the end result is usually a bit different.

Setting out the paper you want in the beginning reduces a lot of aggravation. Plus, you can keep your space tidier if you don't have your entire collection out. I have... a very big collection, so this is one of the most important steps for me.

My space! The paper wasn't out yet when I took this. Or maybe it was just to the left. Trust me, it's good to have space.

The first thing I do is draw the image backwards on the back side of the paper.

Layer two! I plop the cut out head on the light box and a piece of cardstock of the same color over the top. I draw the shape of layer two on this piece of paper and cut it out.

So this is what we have so far. I never paste anything together until I am positive that that is what I want and that it will not need to be moved again, so for now, these are still separate.

Next I use the same light box method to cut out the lips. I'm going to get detailed with the lips because it's a good example of the layering I do.

Remember, do everything in reverse. You'll get frustrated and waste paper if you don't. I trace the outline of the lips on the back so I know how much space I have to use.

It looks like that.

Aaahh! No one has that many mouths! Alright, so the white paper does NOT need to be the same size as the lips, as long as you don't cut into the tooth area. I actually prefer for the layers underneath to be smaller so that you can't see them at any angle.

And with those pieces COMBINED I am CAPTAIN PLANET!

With the knocked out tooth, because we all know southern farm girls are missing teeth, despite being totally hot.

This is what her mouth looks like from the back. I would like to say now that if you ever end up with one of my paper cut outs in your hands, it is a bad idea to turn it over. It's messy stuff.

Next is the ear. This is what the foam tape looks like, and it's a jerk to cut. Please don't use your Cutter Bee scissors to cut this, or I will have to confiscate them.

The ear with foam tape. Again, the ear has two layers, and I flipped the head over on the light box to get the right shape.

Eyebrow making.

Eyebrow glueing. Now the area where the forehead is attached is not as obvious. We'll get that other obvious thing at her temple covered up, don't you fret. This is my only vertical image in this whole post and I HATE it. I wish it was vertical.

Oh jeeze I am embarrassed to show you this. This is the only time I will use construction paper, and it is simply as a base and will never be seen... unless you're one of those jerks who flips over my work. Don't do that!

For her hair, I thought it was important to use different textures. The bottom one is normal yellow cardstock. The middle one is stuff I got at the Japanese dollar store and I'm pretty sure it's not actually paper, though they classified it as such... close enough, I suppose.

For hair, I tend to do a few different layers, at LEAST two. The bangs and the back. So here we have her bangs forming.

And suddenly we have this! I wish I had remembered to take a picture of all of the pieces. The main pieces are her bangs, one side of her parted hair, the other side, and two ponytails made of the crinkled paper. Mixed in are some pieces of the other cool yellows.

Eyelashes are my favorite part! I cut out the basic shape, and then slice vertical lines on them to form the lashes, and then curl them around a pencil.

An important tool is kitties.

I cheated and did really do any real planning for the rooster. I just winged it and cut everything out gung-ho. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you haven't been practicing. I got that radical metallic teal paper from my best bud, who is also on here but I forgot her name. Sorry.

More cool paper from my friend! Also, more wingin' in.

Viola!

I love questions, so please go for it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010 11:39:54 AM by twoeyedcyclops » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look me up on Society 6!
http://society6.com/twoeyedcyclops

I also have one o' them tumblrs
http://cyclopsmakething.tumblr.com/
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010 10:27:58 PM »

ohh I totally want to try this! in monster form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010 10:06:51 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing your process!  You make it look so simple!  Your work is stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
sprinklez
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010 02:43:36 PM »

That's wonderful! I loved your first bird girl, and this one is also great!

Thanks for sharing your process. I might try something similar sometime, your instructions make it seem less intimidating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwennie363
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010 12:32:02 AM »

I love love love process posts. Thanks so much for taking the time to document/write this up! Can't wait to see more of the series..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twoeyedcyclops

Hi, I like you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010 11:42:01 AM »

I love love love process posts. Thanks so much for taking the time to document/write this up! Can't wait to see more of the series..

Thank you! Unfortunately, I won't really be able to work on more of these until after I graduate. My thesis is going to take up most of my paper cutting time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look me up on Society 6!

curiousfae

meccaleccahi- meccahineyho!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010 08:27:58 PM »

thanks for posting this! i totally want to learn do this and there aren't many tuts out there! great tips!

awesome work btw!

off to buy new scissors........and maybe a kitty!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010 08:30:52 PM by curiousfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010 12:18:29 AM »

Thank you so much for this tutorial.  You've explained each step so well.  I've bookmarked this.   I know that some day I'll need your explanation.  Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twoeyedcyclops

Hi, I like you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010 09:43:56 AM »

thanks for posting this! i totally want to learn do this and there aren't many tuts out there! great tips!

awesome work btw!

off to buy new scissors........and maybe a kitty!

I think I have nerve damage from those scissors.. haha. But I was also using them several hours a day, every day, for a few months. I also accidentally stabbed myself with them. Be careful with those suckers! The come with a cap so you don't, you know, STAB yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look me up on Society 6!

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011 05:13:56 PM »

Wow, I loved seeing this transform from a sketch to a dimensional piece of art!  I love all the layers!  So fun!  Thanks so much for sharing your process!

(Yes, I know this is an older post, but I just found it.  ^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Savory French Toast BLT Recipe
Old-Fashioned Cheeseburgers
Paul McIlhenny, Tabasco CEO Dies at 68
2013 Relish Cooking Show Promo
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...