A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,188
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First EVER Quilt - top  (Read 1116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeffsweetie

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010 06:47:19 PM »

Im so excited to share this with you all! Several people on here have made this same quilt and I got inspired to make it for my soon to be 2nd daughter! Im due any day now... so I'm really glad Ive got the top done! I have the fabric for the backing and binding as well as the batting but I just finished the top tonight. Its way early in the morning here... The pattern is from the Moda Bake Shop-- I LOVE that site! So anyway this is my first attempt at a quilt and my first time using my sewing machine. I love it and I'm so excited to make more stuff! I will update with more pictures when its all the way completed! All the fabric is from my stash and mostly the Wal-Mart clearance section but some is from Joann's and Hancocks. On to the pictures... C&C Welcome and appreciated... I know its not perfect and there are lots of parts that don't line up perfectly, but I am IN LOVE with it anyway!
The third picture has the most accurate colors.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010 04:34:24 AM »

That is adorable, I am thinking about putting those prairie points on a couple of quilts I fixing to make for a couple of new babies this year.  I think it will have the same effect as one of those taggy blankets, the baby will be able to play with all those loose, floppy points, and apparently thats what babies like!  Good job Mama, now just get it finished before she comes! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glasstapper
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010 05:35:48 AM »

This is adorable, and the colors are so great! How long has it taken, being pregnant and all? I love it, and from the pictures it looks super professional. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeffsweetie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010 05:49:37 AM »

Thanks guys! Ha ha - its no where near professional when you see it up close... I guess far away pictures make it look better! Well as far as sewing I think I worked on it a total of 5 days to sew- but that was spread apart 2 or 3 months. It took me about 2 days to cut everything - off and on. I didnt work on it continuously because at times I would get a bit overwhelmed... I used the seam ripper a lot! I also have a 22 month old daughter so I only worked on it a night when she was in bed. I crochet also so I worked on crochet gifts for friends when I was not doing that. Its a lot easier to crochet with a toddler running around than it is to sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callie_mae
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010 04:04:32 PM »

love the edges! i make a lot of scrap quilts for babies and i will definitely use this idea! saves me from hand-sewing all that binding~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only Maine gives winter the welcome and worship it deserves.
jeffsweetie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010 07:12:42 PM »

I think the prairie points really make the quilt! When I was adding them on my husband asked what I was doing! He thought it was done and told me I shouldn't add to it. But I explained to him that I was going off a pattern and it was supposed to have those! The two pictures at the bottom show it before I had finished adding the outer strips. I am still debating when I quilt it if I'm going to have them stick up or if I'm going to outline them down to the quilt. There are a couple where the back messed up so I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkPetunias
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010 08:34:26 AM »

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010 08:39:58 AM »

It's so bright and cheery, and aren't you brave tackling prairie points on your first!  Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Just Plain Goose
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010 09:04:17 AM »

This is adorable.  I can't wait to see it when it's finished.  Also, I think I wouldn't sew the points down when you finish the quilt - then baby will have nothing to play with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Creating a Laminated Pressed Flower Bookmark
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Under Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...