A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 Garden-a-long?  (Read 8929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010 07:11:12 AM »

kaz814, one of the tomato plants i bought was a yellow boy.  I've never tried 'em before.  You're growing yours in a pot, or in the ground?

Mine's in a pot.  I don't think it's quite big enough, but it's the biggest I have so it'll have to do.  It's growing quite well, though, so that's hopeful.

I got all my starts out in the planters yesterday morning.  I also bought two wooden fences for   my peas and beans to climb upon.  It works much better than what I had, so woo hoo!

Does anyone have any experience with thai white striped eggplant?  I got some free seeds and planted them, but I can't find much about it (and there wasn't much on the seed packet).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010 07:53:58 AM »

The only thing I know about putting potting medium in the ground is this.  They put chemicals in the potting mix to help baby plants grow.  Putting it in your soil is like giving baby food to an adult.  The nutrients are different and not necessarily good for the soil.  If you are dumping only small amounts, it probably won't have much effect on the soil, but mixing a lot of it with ground soil isn't good for the ground or for your plants.

And Kaz,  I have tons of garden books and not one of them lists a Thai white striped eggplant.  If you're successful with it growing, I'd love to see a picture of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010 09:13:21 AM »

And Kaz,  I have tons of garden books and not one of them lists a Thai white striped eggplant.  If you're successful with it growing, I'd love to see a picture of it.

I'll take lots of pics - some of the seeds sprouted and are looking quite like little plants so far!  Maybe I'll take in-progress pictures, too, to get a record for other poor lost gardening souls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010 09:33:32 AM »

In-progress pics would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010 11:25:25 AM »

We keep having snow (three times last week) and it has been cold. My peas are still less than 6" tall although they have been out for weeks, and I lost some kale and radish to cold damage last week. Sad  I am afraid that some of the stuff that survived the cold under row covers will bolt due to the cold temperatures. Staked out some black fabric, need to put out water walls to start warming the soil also.

At least the rhubarb is happy, and I have been culling (and eating) the leek bed even though many of the leeks (last year's) are quite small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010 07:13:25 AM »

my tiny garden Smiley the front rows are all still popping up, i didnt start them inside. i have some onions, lettuce and beans. i have one beanstalk and about 4 little lettuceheads popping up! Cheesy

the onions and my earthworm friend helping me out! i named him sam.

zucchini, broccoli, jalapenos and habaneros (i suck at planting in a straight line, lol) im really happy they have all survived transplanting and i didnt mess that part up at least.

herbs! im so proud of these. my large leaf basil is having a field day.

so thats how its going so far. we had a little frost scare but i capped everything and it turned out alright it seems. also, some of my plant markers have disappeared or have been ruined Sad oh well, i guess thats just an excuse to make new ones, haha. thanks for looking!  Cheesy

Edit: I forgot to take pictures of the tomato plant Sad Next time!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010 07:17:46 AM by dropoffradar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010 07:32:18 AM »

Looks like you're off to a great start.  I'll get some pics up soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2010 11:09:18 PM »

It was overcast today so I could actually take pictures. Still expecting a cold and possibly snowy week, so no planting this weekend.

the mostly perennial plot, herb side

garlic and friends

onion starts

leek bed, other side of the rhubarb. black cloth is out warming the ground for tomatoes

sole surviving artichoke, twinned at the base.

warming squash hills prior to direct seeding. how warm they will get when it will be lucky to reach 50F next week, I don't know.

strawberry patch, starting to bloom

(mostly) annual plot, showing tentside.

red mustards in the tent

snow pea shoots and red russian kale, in the tent

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010 07:04:04 PM »

so its been raining like crazy and the onions are loving it! ive been reading that they will be finished growing once their grass starts yellowing/drying, is that correct? i have never grown onions and im not entirely sure what to expect!

also, my herb garden. the other day was incredibly windy while i was at work and i had set my herbs outside beforehand so they wouldnt get too hot in the sunroom. well it really did a number on them (or maybe im paranoid) but now a few of my parsley are a little bit wilty/drying out. is it best just to cut back the dead grasses? im confused. i mean i figure they will just grow back but i dont want to mess it up, lol. also, is it common for basil/parsley to be so tempermental? i mean they really show their moods. one day they will look amazing and the next day they look like they hate me. ive been trying to make sure theyre are getting all the essentials, i dont get what im doing wrong.

thank you for hearing out my woes! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010 07:57:41 PM »

Water them weekly and then leave them alone.  You can clip the dried stuff off, but don't cut them too much.  Pretend that you are cutting what you need for a meal.

Herbs don't need to be babied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kung Pao Spaghetti
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Coconut Milk
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
How to make Korean Bulgogi and Rice Marinated Beef
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...