A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 Garden-a-long?  (Read 8782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010 10:31:58 AM »

I hope it's not too late to join in on the gardening action. Smiley  I live in a teeny tiny condo and have a teenier (tinier) porch where I container garden.  So far, I've started sugar snap peas (which are growing gangbusters and my improvised trellis from last year is obviously not doing the job, so I'll have to rig up a teepee for them), garlic, bush lake green beans, golden wax beans, thai eggplant (the seeds were free, so I thought why not!), basil, cilantro, soapwort, lettuce, Giant Italian parsley, and cherry tomatoes (Riesentraube).  Not all are doing as well as I'd hope (the tomatoes especially).  I also bought a sage plant this weekend and was gifted a Yellow Boy tomato plant at Easter, which is doing quite well for the craziness of the weather here.  My garlic seems to be doing really well, too, which I'm pleased about.  I planted it way too late last year.

I hope to put the herbs in their window boxes soon (maybe this coming weekend) and hopefully by then the cherry tomatoes starts will be looking less pathetic.  (If not, I'll get some plants from the garden shop.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010 10:32:37 AM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010 10:53:13 AM »

FYI, there's a long window for planting garlic.  You can start as early as October 1, and plant as late as March 1, and still get garlic.  It's better in October or November, but as long as your soil isn't frozen, it's ok.  Just don't water it in July, and by the middle of August you can dig it up.

I've heard many people say that tomatoes in containers don't do well.  I wonder why that is.  Maybe the roots don't have enough room to spread out.

Your peppers will probably flourish.  I've grown peppers in pots before and they seem to be ok.  the same with your herbs.

I got my leeks down this weekend and also my greens.  I'm still cleaning out beds because I messed up and didn't dress them for winter, so I have lots of weeds in my garden beds.  I'm getting there though.

My garlic is up about 14 inches, as well as my yellow onions.  And I have baby strawberries, already.  They probably won't fully mature for another month or two, but they're there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010 11:08:30 AM »

OOoh, thanks for the garlic tip, pinokeeo.  I planted mine in April last year (I started the garden late and figured why not try them).  Planted them in January this year, and they're up pretty high!

Yay for your strawberries.  I might plant some of those next year ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010 12:24:24 PM »

OOoh, thanks for the garlic tip, pinokeeo.  I planted mine in April last year (I started the garden late and figured why not try them).  Planted them in January this year, and they're up pretty high!

Yay for your strawberries.  I might plant some of those next year ...

If you want bigger heads of garlic, cut the scapes when they are as high as the leaves.  All the energy will go into the roots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010 01:57:46 PM »

pinokeeo, thanks for all the tips.  I grew garlic last year and the heads were not as big as I was hoping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010 06:40:39 AM »

alright, well i have all my stuff together for the most part, and i think i will be planting outdoors today. i am about a week early but i think its safe.

this is my first year trying to garden seriously, and i have big plans, lol. i wanted to do a raised bed and plant a lot more than i actually am, but financially i couldnt afford the lumber, top soil, or extra plants this time around. yesterday we tilled a nice square and im going to hope that i dont go insane picking weeds all summer Sad we do have a few small bags of potting soil that i might mix in because that just seems like a good idea, i dont know.

i started some of the plants in pots already so they are good to go! i will post some pictures as soon as its all in the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010 07:30:13 AM »

It's not a good idea to put planting mix in your garden.  They add nutrients and chemicals that are ok for pots, but not ok for a garden. 

If you want to amend your soil, I would suggest going to your local farm store and buying a bag of steer manure.

Just my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2010 06:30:59 AM »

oh, really? Undecided

i didnt know that, i already added it. it does mention its organic, if that makes a difference....hopef ully that means there are no nasty chemicals. told you im a noob!  Cheesy i appreciate your tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010 12:14:46 AM »

Snow peas are ankle to knee high, depending on which planting I'm looking at Cheesy  spaced 'em out by a couple weeks, three plantings all together. 

Runner beans have mostly been eaten by slugs, and slugs and chickens in the backyard.  I don't mind because I have TONS of seeds, mostly from the runner beans I grew last year.

Planted some of the tomatoes outside.  I still have, after giving half a dozen away and planting half a dozen outside, 14 or so tomato starts inside, plus two I bought for variety.  Anyone in Portland want a Caro Rich tomato plant or two?  Roll Eyes

On potting soil VS manure: will it do any harm, pinpkeeo?  or just be kind of a waste of money?  It seems like potting soil is more expensive than manure/compost/worm castings.  I do know, dropoffradar, that potting soil is designed to drain well which is what you want in pots (which is why dirt, and even garden soil is a no-no).  I think that they're usually pretty devoid of nutrients, so not really a bonus to your garden.

Be careful with organics too, it doesn't mean necessarily that they're low impact on the environment.  They could have been shipped from half way across teh country, or further, or contain peat moss (depending on where it's from could deplete peat bogs which is a natural environment, but I've recently heard that these bogs put out methane or something not particularly good for the environment as a whole).  Anyway, read your labels and don't assume they're giving you the whole picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010 12:17:13 AM »

kaz814, one of the tomato plants i bought was a yellow boy.  I've never tried 'em before.  You're growing yours in a pot, or in the ground?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...