A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 Garden-a-long?  (Read 8901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010 11:58:40 AM »

We have at least two more months of snow here, plus they don't turn the water on at the garden usually until early or mid April.  I'm starting hot peppers and tomatoes in my spare bathtub, plus wintersowing some kale, mustard, and bunching onions for transplanting once our water is on.  Hauling water for seedlings is a major PITA, especially in this extremely arid climate. 

Our median last frost day is in early May, but the distribution has a long tail with frost possible into June. Since my community garden is in an extra-cold microclimate, I won't put anything vaguely tender in until the second half of May, and then only with water walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010 12:08:35 AM »

two months more of snow... i do not envy you.

it was gorgeous here a few days ago.  then it hailed tiny little snowballs.  it was weird.  a few of the chickens were pretty excited about it and pecked a bunch of them up.

i'm going to be out of town for just shy of a month, turning over the garden to my brother who is house sitting.  we'll see how it goes.  last time he garden/plant sat, he said he heard me say "water these once a week" rather than "once a day" ... potted tomatoes in july heat got a bit cranky  Tongue  i kept it easy, plus there's not a whole lot going on.  it's not going to be a big early seed starting year for me, just to keep things simple.

but peas are up, maybe 1/2 an inch.  we'll see how they tolerate this weird weather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
sunnydays914
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010 11:19:50 AM »

I've got a little less than 2 more months of possible snow and heavy frost but hope to plant before the end of May. This week has been in the mid to upper 60s so I have to remind myself that I need to wait a little bit longer. I could try to start from seed inside but I have a feeling my cats would attack the seedlings and I don't have any windows with good light.

I've been starting at my lawn for the last week, wanting to start doing things soooooo badly. We bought our house last summer and had a limited garden. We had a few container tomatoes that we moved from our apartment to our house and beans that I honestly had very little to do with. My grandpa planted them from seed the day we moved in (July 3) and they were taking over the world a month later. I just made sure they got watered and weeded when I remembered.

My plans for this year are much more labor intensive but I'm really, really excited to see growing things again! I have a picture of my plan for this summer but it's on my home computer and I'm at work. I'll post it later. So far I'm planning on tomatoes, green beans, pumpkin, zucchini, bell peppers and chives.

Last fall we ripped out all the plants along the south side of the house so we can use it for a veggie garden this summer. Someone had planted 3 Rose of Sharon trees in the 2 1/2 foot deep bed along the side of the house. If you aren't familiar with them, Rose of Sharon can grow up to 10 feet tall and spread 4-6 feet. Sooner or later, they were going to start poking holes in my garage! They had to go. So did all the nasty ground cover ivy.

We're starting from scratch this year so hopefully everything will turn out ok. I need to fill the bed on the side of the house with soil since the roots from the trees left giant holes. I need to buy/make a compost box (anyone have recommendations?). I have to dig out the front flower beds because someone (I put a lot of blame on that someone, don't I?) decided it was a good idea to use stones instead of bark mulch and now the stones are impacted so deep I can't even weed without the stems/roots being cut off by a rock. Dumb rocks!

Needless to say, this weekend's 70 degree weather will get me out there and moving things around, even if I can't plant yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010 12:43:20 PM »

If anybody lives in the Yamhill County, Oregon area, there's an old fashioned Farm Festival going on soon.  They actually plow the field with mules.  It's fun to see.

Go here for details.  www.yamhillcountyhistory.org

They also have spaces for kids to plant stuff.  

My strawberries are planted in the beds.  I'm so looking forward to getting the rest of my garden down.  It's been raining for days here and I need to go play in the dirt.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010 12:44:02 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnydays914
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010 04:49:10 PM »

Here's that garden plan!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010 05:25:05 PM »

Is your map to scale?  It looks like you don't have a lot of room for your pumpkins.  Pumpkins will take over any space available to them, and your bell peppers won't have a chance.

As for compost, you can do almost anything.  It can be as simple as a big pile that gets turned often with a fork, to an elaborate drum type that you crank every two or three days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnydays914
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010 05:40:02 PM »

The drawing is very much not to scale. Everything is a lot longer than the scrunched up picture shows.

I've been looking at instructions to make a compost bin out of a 32 gallon trash barrel. I think that is what the plan is. My husband is willing to drill holes in everything for me (any chance to use power tools!) and we have some extra slab concrete left over from some project the previous owners did to elevate it.

I know the dollar store near me has seed starting trays with lids which might solve my kitty issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010 09:22:53 PM »

One of my artichokes seems to have survived the winter (so far), so I have hope of actually getting artichokes. Usually the plant gets killed before it can flower in the first year.  Other than that, my peas aren't up, the rhubarb is sluggish, and the garlic is sprouting. I weeded 1/3 of my horrifyingly messy leek bed and need to do the rest before this years seeds sprout.

Wintersown items have all sprouted, except the daikon, which I planted late. Our water is still not on, but I hope it comes on soon so I can move these guys before the outgrow their small containers.

Waaaaay too early with the tomato starts. I swear they didn't grow this fast last year.  Need to do something about the lights, which are propped up on boards, but I am running out of boards.  I realize the lights should be hanging, but I don't have any way to manage that. May jury-rig something with tension shower curtain rods (I have two spares) wedged into place with....something.  I can't put these guys out for at least 5-6 weeks, and they already need to be repotted again.

The peppers are much better behaved.  I'd like to actually get some peppers this year, usually my plants get frozen, eaten by deer, or something else. This time, they will be pampered with walls of water as long as possible.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010 07:26:20 AM »

Your starts look great.  Mine are still tiny.  Most of them have only two new leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ashleymuffin

Backwoods Barbie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010 07:41:44 PM »

i am actually a fan of building a big compost box out of recycled palattes from the alley! hehe
we go through a lot of compostable waste so the full palattes are pretty much a good size as the walls.
I use other scrap boards to fill the gaps but still leave small gaps for air circulation. then i just put thin layers of old leaves and layers of fresh scraps and turn them once in awhile with a pitchfork! voila!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
May 4th: Kiss & Sell
Young British Artist Kitty Clark Talks About the YBAs and Her Artwork
Young British Artist Joe Steele Talks About the Original YBAs
Young British Artist Adham Faramawy Talks About YBAs and His Work
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...