A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 Garden-a-long?  (Read 8890 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 08, 2010 12:10:41 PM »

It's January, it's cold, muddy, and rainy outside, and I am going stir crazy.  It's garden planning time though, and I'll have to let that suffice.  What are you guys going to be growing this year?

Me, definitely: tomatoes, broccoli or broccoli raab, carrots, lettuce, calendula, pumpkin, climbing beans, snow peas, sunflowers, nasturtiums
probably: more herbs, more flowers
maybe: cucumbers

Is anyone else going to be starting from seed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010 12:34:01 PM »

I don't grow tomatoes from seed, but just about everything else that goes in the ground around here is a seed.

I grow blue lake pole beans from fourth generation seeds that I have harvested myself.  Also, lima beans, lemon cucumbers, winter squash, lettuce, carrots, spinach, cayenne peppers and bell peppers.  Some of the seeds I have harvested from last year's crops,  some I get from Seed Savers and some I buy from the farner's market. 

I also buy native tomato plants from the Master Gardener's program here.

This year I am also planting sunflowers.  I tried growing peas and decided that it was a waste of time and resources.  Maybe I'll grow snow peas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010 12:53:58 PM »

I grow the snow peas on a chain link fence between my neighbor's front yard and my own.  Only like 5 plants, but it gave me enough to throw into salads for an added crunch, and it helped to cover the fence a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010 01:05:41 PM »

I don't have a fence, but I am working on a design for some tepees to put in my garden beds. 

Last year, I put a six foot step ladder in my garden bed for my green beans.  It was completed covered and nearly buried by the end of the season. Cheesy  I'll probably use it again.  I loved the resulting crop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010 10:56:32 AM »

I'm going to give it a try. I'm getting the materials for a vermicomposter together. I don't know what I'll grow, though, since my gardens always seem to die in August, despite my best intentions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010 11:04:51 AM »

By August most people have forgotten that it's hot and plants need watering for longer periods of time.  Don't water during the day.  Turn on your soaker hoses at night and let them run overnight.  This does two things.  First, you are watering at a time when water is less likely to evaporate into the air.  Second, if you turn them on once a week, set a timer and turn them off nine or ten hours later, you have watered deeply and the plants actually get more from the water, because their roots grow deeper.  Healthy plants produce more.

I hope this helps you some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010 11:45:08 AM »

I bought seeds the other day.  I just went to get peas, since it's time to plant them relatively soon.  I got Oregon Sugar Pod II (snow) and Cascadia (snap).  Both grow fairly well here.  While I was at the store, I decided I needed onions (flat of italy and talon) and cilantro (slow bolting).  I think it's roughly time to start onion seeds indoors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010 09:21:42 PM »

Pinokeeo, that's great advice, Thank you; I wish I'd thought of it!
I'm adding soaker hoses to the list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010 09:23:23 AM »

I have been dithering about renewing my community garden plots because I am hoping to move sometime in the next year, but since that probably won't happen until fall at earliest, I think I will sign up again. I also have some large tubs that I may convert to planters on my porch - I have an L-shaped porch with mostly east exposure (and a little south), but shaded by a tree, so I think I'd put cilantro and some asian greens in the tubs.

One of my plots has mostly perennials, including a leek bed that I really need to clean up, rhubarb, and some herbs. There is a little extra space, where I'm thinking of putting bunching onions and some hot thai peppers. The other plot is all annuals except for some strawberries and two artichokes that I am half-heartedly trying to overwinter (it is really too cold here for them). I have a tent made from pvc hoops and winter or summer-weight cloth covers where I grow tender things that want to live in asia, mostly brassicas. I'm going to try yardlong beans for the fourth time, in four years I have harvested one bean.  Squash will mostly be summer varieties this year, since I don't want to move winter squash with me across the country (I've still got a giant hubbard and some baby kabocha from last season in my living room). Also tomatoes (brandywine, cherry, an a green variety for frying) and tomatillos. Oh, and snow peas for the shoots rather than the pods.

I grow almost everything from seed, since I can't usually buy the things I want from starts here, and the brassicas in particular start so well from seed and are so expensive as starts. The tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos I start indoors in a spare bathtub with lamps. I plant lots of extras and give them away. The squash and cabbages are direct seeded under the tent or with water walls.  Nothing tender can go out until mid May and then only with water walls, so I don't start the seeds until late March.  Snow peas, mustards, radishes (I'm going to try daikon this year) can go out in March or April if covered, but our water supply sometimes doesn't get turned on until May.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010 09:34:12 AM »

I just went out yesterday to look at my winter garden.  My garlic is up six inches above the mulch, and my winter onions are up nearly four inches.  WooHoo!

I am going out today to build some more garden beds.  My goal is two more long beds and three short ones.  I may only have enough lumber for one long bed, but I have plenty of lumber for short beds.  One or all of those short beds is going to be for my strawberries.

And I have discovered that I am on overload with bean seeds.  If anybody is interested in fourth generation blue lake pole bean seeds, PM me and I'll send you a little packet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Office Production Assistant - Job Guide
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...