A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help looking for 100% mohair yarn  (Read 837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010 10:49:33 AM »

I'm an annoying purist, so yarn blends really bother me for some reason. Does anyone know of good, superfine to fine 100% mohair yarn that is available in many colors? I'm looking to work up a striped sweater vest with black as one of the colors, and I'd make many vests with different colors for the second color.

I think there's a misconception of 100% mohair yarn being too fragile, so it is often blended with other fibers for strength. I found this blog entry about pure mohair yarn where the person said that the yarn that she used was very durable. Included in the entry is a link to a brand of pure mohair yarn. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in many colors.

I found this yarn. It seems good, but it's not available in black. Also, it's labeled as "boucle", of which I'm a bit wary. When I think of "boucle", I think of that crazy, thick yarn that would look horrid knitted throughtout an entire piece. But isn't all mohair (be it pure or blended) boucle anyways? The ones I've seen in stores aren't labeled as boucle, but they do look the part. I guess I don't notice since mohair is often thin, so its boucle characteristic isn't as ugly as its thick counterpart.

Another yarn that I found.There's also this, but it's so thick and doesn't come in a variety of colors. What an ugly word, "slubby".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010 01:04:30 AM »

Are you a member of Ravelry? If so here's a whole bunch:

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/search?query=mohair#r=&query=mohair&sort=best&view=thumblist&add_id=80&add=mohair&apply=1&history=1

If not - It looks like most of it comes from small yarn businesses. Like Wagtail Yarns and Be Sweet. Maybe try etsy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010 10:54:26 AM »

your link helps a lot. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 08:08:49 PM »

cinnamon teal, I'm not a Ravelry member, so I cannot check out that link. I will, though, check out those yarn brands that you mentioned.

I have tried etsy, but I get mostly blended yarns where mohair is the least percentage used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010 09:48:43 PM »

I finally found some 100 percent mohair yarn! http://www.wagtailyarns.com.au/store/items.php?CA=1&UID=2010071914141968.217.122.192&cat=Yarns

But holey socks, is it expensive! The colors are lovely, but I'm disappointed that there is no white color for the Kid Mohair Yarn. I haven't checked the other yarn that they offer to see if there is white, but frankly that is the only yarn of theirs that I'm interested in. The other yarn is a mix of wool, and the other 100 percent mohair yarn is laceweight.

EDIT: Okay, I've checked their other yarns, and those don't have white either. The closest color that is available is "natural," which looks and sounds to me to be more of a cream color.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010 10:02:49 PM by PUFFYsanjo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
How to Make Glove Puppets for Kids
How to Make Jewelry Travel Pouches
How to Create Sock Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...