A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting the right gauge.....  (Read 2683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ann
« on: March 01, 2004 07:16:00 PM »

I am moron, hear me roar.....I am attempting the "to dye for" sweater, using some great Italian angora I got on sale (and which will probably itch me so much I will never wear it....but the price was so good, what can I say...).  I have made sample swatches on size 13 needles (the recommended size for this project), size 10.5 AND size 11.  I can NOT get the right guage - I am like Goldie Locks - its either too big or too small, and the knit is so loose anyway that I am not sure if I am even accurately measuring it right - I can make it an inch bigger just with a wee pull..
Any suggestions on the way to get the correct measurment of a looser knit for gauge?
Thanks!
If I keep making swatches for gauge I will have nothing left to make the sweater with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy Lou
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004 09:57:57 PM »

DUDE no ones replying to sweet ann!   Grin Grin Grin Cheesy
I found you HA! xoxoxo me You must keep trying and find the right needle GRASSHOPPER!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004 10:59:01 PM »

Have you dyed the yarn and then washed the gauge swatches?

What are the gauges that you are getting using the different needles?  Since it's a pretty stretchy fabric you are making, you might be able to get away with knitting at a slightly smaller gauge, if you are just a teensy bit off.  Check the fit as you go - you might have to add a few rows here and there or add a few more stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004 06:41:12 AM »

I agree, getting the right gauge can sometimes be tricky - but since this sweater is so stretchy, blocking might help tweak it after you're done.  If one set of needles is producing a gauge just slightly smaller, then you'll be able to block it up to the correct measurements.  I'm currently knitting this sweater using the yarn suggested in the book (the Halcyon mohair) and I can tell I'm definitely going to have to block the pieces to make sure they're the right size.  I also agree with a previous comment that you could add stitiches/rows if need be to make up the gauge - I did this with the "Umbilical cord baby hat" recently and it turned out perfectly.  I'd say choose the needle size that is closest to the gauge, calculate whether or not you need to add/subtract a few stitches/rows, and dive in!  Blocking will help you out in the final stages.

Good luck!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
ann
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004 06:24:54 AM »

Thanks gals!  I re-knit the swatches (I am not dying with Kool-Aid....I've got enough problems in life and the yarn I found is a beautiful varigate already) and on the 13 needles was able to get one that is about the right one - like an eighth of an inch bigger, if that, depending on where I start counting my stitches from.  So I am gonna go for the 13 needles, and taking into account the above advice about stretchiness make the small size of the sweater- between the two something right might happen!
I think I am thinking too much (rare) in that I am obsessing over just where to count the stitches from - the space in between the rows?  the begingin of the row?  the midpoint of the space between the first row I'm counting to the midpoint of the space after the last row I'm counting?
Believe me, I usually don't put this much thought into things.......maybe I will take AmyLou's sage advice and just be zen about it all - I will become one with the gauge.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004 07:26:03 AM »

Oh!  I just read the most stunningly simple good advice about knitting with variegated (that doesn't look right) yarns:
Use two strands, one at a time.  Knit back and forth (2 rows) with one, then switch to the other for two rows.  Repeat for ever.

This prevents you from getting those wierd patterns in your finished pieces, so you still have the random effect (no big blobs/stripes of color)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bex
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004 09:22:29 AM »

Oh!  I just read the most stunningly simple good advice about knitting with variegated (that doesn't look right) yarns:
Use two strands, one at a time.  Knit back and forth (2 rows) with one, then switch to the other for two rows.  Repeat for ever.

This prevents you from getting those wierd patterns in your finished pieces, so you still have the random effect (no big blobs/stripes of color)

Ooh,  that is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004 10:13:47 AM »

I made that sweater as my first one (no dying, kept my cherry red mohair as is), and I was probably off by 1/2" and it didn't make a difference.  Since it's like a tunic, it isn't a big deal if it's a smidge too small as long as it goes over your hips alright.  It was also the first time that I worked with mohair and my stitching was really loose at the time, but pulling the thread a little harder and trying to make things tighter made it work alright.  Super fun sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Monopoly Rules
Emmy Submission: The Future Of Us
Top Collectors Suffer Art-Fair Fatigue
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...