A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Experimenting with T-shirt yarn....(insert mad scientist laugh here)  (Read 3462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010 07:13:40 PM »

So I saw the tute for T-shirt yarn here: http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.blogspot.com/2008/03/tutorial-t-shirt-yarn.html  Though I'm no good with real knitting or crocheting, I was intrigued.  I took my happy butt down to the Goodwill outlet (you've got to love clothes by the pound) and got myself some abadoned tees to make into yarn. 
    I decided to use my knitting loom to make a rug. (I think that's what it's called, pic below so you know what I mean)  
Because I had had issues in the past with regular yarn being too thin for this, I decided to make 1 1/2' yarn out of the shirts, and it worked perfectly, though I'd imagine it'd be pretty difficult to work with using actual needles.  It made a super thick rug that will now be gracing the spot in front of my kitchen sink!

Thanks for reading, c&c welcome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilmissdangerous
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010 07:54:59 PM »

wow! love it. i might have to add that to my list of stuff to make, we have so many clothes that no one wears around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010 08:03:11 PM »

Wow.

See, I love that.  And I'm totally envious.

Because I HAVE a knifty knitter, but for the LIFE of me haven't been able to figure out how to use it.   Embarrassed

I have to find a good video tute, because I NEED to make one of those!  That's too cute, and too useful, and too fantastic for me not to copy!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
grenouille78
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010 08:45:48 PM »

Cool! First for the t-shirt yarn, second for the color choices, third for doing that on the knitting loom! My grandparents got me one about that size when I was 8 or 9 and just today I finally started making something on it. I'm 31. Yeah, it did take me that long to figure the dumb thing out. But I maintain that the included instruction sheet is cwap (it's a knock-off brand).

Wow.

See, I love that.  And I'm totally envious.

Because I HAVE a knifty knitter, but for the LIFE of me haven't been able to figure out how to use it.   Embarrassed

I have to find a good video tute, because I NEED to make one of those!  That's too cute, and too useful, and too fantastic for me not to copy!   Smiley

I just found this site today: http://www.knittingboard.com/Articles.asp?ID=174 They have little videos for every step it appears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 11:11:16 PM »

wow that looks great I think I will dig through the kids draws and make a new bath mat, mine will be crochet though I don't have a knifty knitter like that.

I love the way the colours came together really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
katiebread
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010 09:13:07 AM »

What an awesome idea!  I wonder if it would work with a big honking crochet hook; I have said big honking hook but do not have a loom thingie like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexieboo
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010 02:14:44 PM »

That looks fantastic! I love the bright happy colours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010 11:21:10 AM »

That is great!  I think I'm going to try to make some dog crate pads.  Thanks so much for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010 08:06:58 PM »

Wow, thanks all! I'm glad I was able to inspire someone with my crafts; I spend so much time on here ogling everyone else's. 

katiebread- like I said, I don't have much experience with real crocheting, but the tute I got the yarn off of uses it for just that purpose, so I'm pretty sure you can use it with real needles.  If the super thick yarn doesn't work, you can always trim it down to a thickness that works for you.  It's one of the perks of making it yourself. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Buddy Valastro’s Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
Nutella Crepes Recipe
Mint Chip Macarons Recipe
Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Chocolate Cake Bars Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...