A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spot and finish off those UFO's along  (Read 8291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010 08:46:01 AM »

I finished one! I can't show you a picture as it's for a swap. That is the great thing about doing several rounds of a themed swap, some ideas that didn't work the first time might go well with some more thinking through.
I had made a paper model when I did this *beep* for the first time, and had the supplies ready, but the paper model turned out not right, I didn't go further with the project.
And now that I am doing another round of this swap, I found it again. Hehe, I hope you weren't too impressed by my organizing system for WIPs, because this one wasn't with the WIP bags or boxes, but with the swap box from the last round which I just hadn't entirely cleaned after the round but used for a different swap with the other stuff still in. Grin
I had to make two more paper models before I was ready to make the real thing, which turned out to react a bit different than paper and I had to redo a part... but I am happy with the result! It turned out the way I had always wanted to, maybe even cooler! I have a feeling that this is not the last time I did this, because now I want one too! Grin

A question, do you count a work in progress as an UFO even if you hadn't put it down? Because I have today done something on something for another swap which worked out.
I had this hand sewing project on my mind, and my mind was totally set, because it was the perfect project for this partner - but I really don't like the actual sewing, and have little patience for mistakes and the like... so this project took me a looong time and was really getting at me and I was almost desperate, but no way would I give up on the idea...
So today I visited a very nice old lady who has a sewing machine and -  got help. So all that is left now are some finishing touches, but almost every sewing part is done! I am so glad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunspotted
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010 09:35:28 AM »

Congrats on finishing something Ruby Copperhead.  Doesn't it feel amazing to be done something you thought might never be finished?   Smiley

Personally, I don't call it a UFO until I have abandoned it for a couple of months.  I usually have several WIPs on the go at once, so I might not touch a current project for a week or so, but it's still in my mind.  The UFO projects however, are not on my mind.  In fact I have generally forgotten what hook or needles I was using, unless I have magically managed to keep them together. 
Other signs of a UFO 
- the bag it is in rolled up and stuffed in a shelf, the back of a closet, a drawer, etc.
- the fabric has lines from being folded for so long
- the online pattern has disappeared (I'm looking at you geocities)
- my gauge is completely different
- I have no idea what I was making.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
Ariethine
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010 09:43:50 AM »

Holy crap. A couple months?? I'm counting it as... like, a week or more that I haven't even touched it. Tongue The cotton interlock dress is probably getting up there in months untouched. I was also crocheting a sackboy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010 12:34:51 PM »

Hehe, sunspotted, I love your definitions.
But what do you mean with crinkles or folding lines? You mean, fabric without that exists? Grin

Yeah, it was awesome to finish those projects. Hehe, I found a real ancient one, I'll take a picture tomorrow, it's half finished and I have no idea what to do with it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goth Mummy

Mundane by day, innane at night....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010 01:30:18 PM »

Ruby copperhead - I am so intrigued to know what you made!

A UFO to me is something that has been "lost" in the drawers/boxes/cupboards, has been untouched for months or years (cough, cough cough millenium sampler cough cough).  In my family we hand down UFOs through the generations, we are a family of enthusiastic women who cannot complete projects! My general problem is that I start something then have to clear it away because children are playing or something, then it never re-appears....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010 03:07:53 PM »

To me a UFO is something that has been set aside for whatever reason - for a good period of time... I figure if you start at least 2 or 3 projects after it then it is officially a UFO.

and that ying yang afghan I started has been in my closet taking up space for at least 4 years!! One of the yarns I was using was discontinued so I abandoned it.  I know I have more than enough squares for an afghan already - I guess I was going for a bed spread instead.  I think it is just time to get it done.

I'm wondering if I should have a UFO swap where we make a UFO or two and send it away to someone who would love and cherish it!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 03:09:36 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010 03:53:23 PM »

My afghan that took 10 years to finish sat there because my daughter changed her color schemes. Now it doesn't really belong anywhere, except as a car blanket. I'd have given it to someone when it was "new" if I had
known "who" at the time.  But it does come in handy as a spare for watching T.V.  That swap idea could catch on, especially if there's no extra purchasing involved!
  I like those definitions of a UFO.
I suppose you could call organizing the file cabinet a UFO. There's a whole drawer where the box was litterally just emptied into it.
 Does that count??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010 05:00:21 PM »

@ KLKing: Maybe if you're organizing it in a creative way Grin Or if you do it halfways and pause for a month Grin

Wow, handing down UFOs through generations, that's too cool! Grin Hope you have a good laugh together on it Grin

I love the idea of the UFO swap! I have heard it before, from lovesclutter I think, when she suggested a swap where you send away the unfinished project to someone who will finish it.
But both, sending the unfinished or finished project away would be interesting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goth Mummy

Mundane by day, innane at night....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010 01:25:29 PM »

I finished off some small UFOs last night, the earings had been around for months as I had lost the hooks I bought for them, the knitted flower corsage had been finished I just had to attach the brooch back and the christmas card is from about 5 years ago, I lost the chart... but to finish it I just made it up last night. Phew! Three things crossed off anyway Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010 01:49:28 PM »

Wow, great progress! Hope you don'T have to drop us because you run out of UFOs Grin

I dug out my weirdest UFO, as I had promised:

I saw the pattern in a magazine and really liked it for, like, a shirt or a vest. I thought if I give up early, it'll still make a nice table runner...
only I don't like lace table runners, and while it'd be big enough to be half a shirt, I really don't want to make another half. *sigh*
The frustrating thing is that it looks like a finished objects, but I consider it unfinished (after all, I wanted a shirt), and I am quite clueless about what to do with it. If we make an UFO swap, this would be something I'd love to send to a good home.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 01:51:21 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Chicken
How to Make a Basic Chicken Rub
How to Make a Basic Chicken Marinade
How to Cut Apart a Full Chicken
Chicken Meal Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...