A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Granola with blueberries and walnuts  (Read 26875 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , granola , crockpot , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010 07:11:37 PM »

I've had it in a tupperware container in the pantry.  I made it on Monday and the boy is monchin' on it right now. It shows no signs of staleness so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010 09:35:20 PM »

I am cooking mine right now!  I used four cups of old fashioned oats (the rest of what I had), six ounces of honey (I only know that because it was three tiny little jars of honey left over from when the Bee movie came out and they were each two ounces, lol), a bunch of raisins, a little over a quarter cup of melted Country Crock butter, and a few big squeezes of maple syrup because I wasn't sure if 6 ounces of honey was enough moisture.

It's been cooking for about an hour and is smelling so good, and guess what?  Because I was busy cleaning house and chasing my 2 year old niece around, I FORGOT the cinnamon AND the vanilla.  I'm off to add those now, and I bet the house will smell even better!  I highly doubt this stuff is gonna last til morning though, I am already sneaking in there and eating warm bits of it right out of the crock pot, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010 11:56:28 PM »

FYI, it turned out to be awesome.  I'm glad I added the syrup because as it was, it nearly burned...my sister didn't realize I was letting the lid vent on purpose and put it back on twice, even after I told everyone not too!  The honey/butter alone wouldn't have been enough moisture to survive, or at least I don't think they would have.

We ate some warm with spoons right out of cups before bedtime and it was amazing.  Well worth the minimal effort and time spent making it.  I will for sure be making this again, so thanks for the post/inspiration/recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
RamenQueen
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010 07:50:14 AM »

I am cooking mine right now!  I used four cups of old fashioned oats (the rest of what I had), six ounces of honey (I only know that because it was three tiny little jars of honey left over from when the Bee movie came out and they were each two ounces, lol),

I made some too...With the Bee movie jars LOL...i used 2.5 jars ( what i had left)  It's delicious! But its really soft...did i do something wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010 08:10:44 AM »

I am cooking mine right now!  I used four cups of old fashioned oats (the rest of what I had), six ounces of honey (I only know that because it was three tiny little jars of honey left over from when the Bee movie came out and they were each two ounces, lol),

I made some too...With the Bee movie jars LOL...i used 2.5 jars ( what i had left)  It's delicious! But its really soft...did i do something wrong?

I always lay mine out to dry on a baking sheet until it cools.  It seems to help it harden a little bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaeDaeBelle
"If this is about my soul-TAKE IT- I don't want it without you"

"One of the advantages of being disorganized is th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010 10:42:13 AM »

So- I's thinking about making "Chewy GRANOLA Bars" out of it. I don't know what needs to be added to make it crunchier BUT I found an oven recipe that looks delicious!

* 3 cups large flake rolled oats
    * 3 cups chopped dried fruit (see the Footnotes)
    * 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
    * 1 cup raw sliced almonds
    * 1/2 cup natural liquid honey
    * 1/2 cup canola oil
    * 1/2 cup raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
    * (optional) 1/2 cup wheat germ
    * 1 tbsp pure vanilla
    * 1 tsp ground ginger
    * 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions

1. Pre-heat the oven to 250 F.
   2. Combine all the dry ingredients, except for the dried fruit, in a large bowl.
   3. Combine the honey, oil, and vanilla.
   4. Drizzle the honey mixture over the granola mixture and keep mixing to coat everything evenly.
   5. Grease two 9x13 pans and cover both pans evenly with the granola mixture.
   6. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the granola turns golden brown, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
   7. Break up any large chunks while the granola is still warm on the pans.
   8. Cool the granola completely on the pans.
   9. Mix in the dried fruits.

Footnotes

For 3 cups of dried fruit, I make two different fruit mixes: the first mix has 1/2 cup each of raisins, dehydrated apple, and dried papaya; and the second mix has 1/2 cup each of raisins, dried apricot, and dried cranberries. Of course, if you don't like these fruits, you can come up with your own combinations.

All dried fruits should be natural, with no added sugars and preservatives.

Store the granola in airtight containers at room temperature for 2 weeks, or for longer in the refrigerator.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Healthy-Crunchy-Homemade-Granola
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010 11:02:26 AM »

I may have to try that next time!  My dd hates anything too crunchy though, so this has worked so good for her - it's a texture the rest of us love and that she can still eat.

Mine wasn't really soft at all, so I don't know how to help ya RamenQueen...did you remember to vent the lid of the crock pot?  Maybe that had something to do with it if so...hmmm. If not, I'm out of ideas, but what else is new...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenQueen
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010 07:51:24 AM »

I vented the lid...but i used margerine(sp?) so maybe thats why!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010 07:06:05 PM »

I love the idea of making my own granola. I have a mild nut alllergy, so I really should stay away from pre-made granola. I love that I have the power to leave the nuts out (could I add unsalted dry-roasted peanuts? I'm not allergic to those).

I'll be adding the ingredients to my next shopping list! Thanks so much for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010 07:37:16 PM »

(could I add unsalted dry-roasted peanuts? I'm not allergic to those).

I don't see why not! Try it. Smiley

I'm excited that so many other people have made this and are able to make it work for their particular tastes/needs! whee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Butterscotch Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Dark Chocolate Wheat Thins Sandwich Recipe
Green Onion and Chipped Beef Dip Recipe
Ritz Cracker Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Tangy Grilled Salmon Filet Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...