A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Granola with blueberries and walnuts  (Read 27818 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , granola , crockpot , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dirty
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010 09:26:05 AM »

I hope that helps some!  Undecided

It helps a lot!  Adding this to my shopping list for Saturday!  Hopefully it's a hit and the kids love munching on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010 10:58:19 AM »

Ya know?  I didn't vent my lid when I cooked up mine...but I stirred a bunch of times, and it turned out crunchy and yummy! Smiley

But! What I did notice is my crock pot gets pretty hot so the burn factor is definitely something you want to consider since there's NO real moisture in there.  Just a FYI...don't burn your house down.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
McJulie-O
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010 02:53:45 PM »

Absolutely sounds like a potential maybe!  Roll Eyes

I have lots of odds and ends that would go perfectly in granola!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010 02:58:53 PM »

for one thing-wow-I have been lurking on this site for so long that I'm surprised I could even remember my log-in name!

I'm very interested in this recipe but have a couple of quick questions.

1.  How much does this recipe yield?  If you mentioned it in the OP then I apologize for asking.   I did see a mention of freezing some so that makes me hopeful that it's a bunch.

2.  not counting the variables (the fruits, I guess)-roughly what is the price of the ingredients?  (Okay-honestly...what does Flax Seed run?)

Sorry for the annoying questions but I am soooo budget conscious that I have to know before I allow myself to imagine my house filled with this delicious smell!!

The most expensive ingredient in my granola is easily the fruit, followed by the oats and then the nuts.  Depending on what type of fruit I use, I can spend easily $10 or $5 on fruit alone.  That being said, both the nuts and and the fruit probably can last for two separate batches.  I find the rolled oats on sale a lot @ my local grocery store and I tend to stock up then.  Normally, they're between $5-6/package but I can get them on sale for half that.  I think I use just under 1 package of Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats per batch.

I have a terrific source for local pecans and, if I'm feeling like putting a bit of elbow grease into it, I can have enough pecans for a patch without spending too much.  For the fruit, raisins will work as easily as blueberries will (though the latter will be more expensive), and, in a "worst" case scenario, you can always dry your fruit in the oven at a low temperature for 18 hours or so and then toss it in the granola.

NOW - That ALL being said, my husband and I have a deal where we'll never feel bad spending money on good quality food.  It's much more important for me to eat healthy, local, unprocessed foods than it is for me to have money to go to DisneyWorld. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mereshupe
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010 07:39:16 PM »

Shocked

Yum, yum, yummy!!  I LOVE granola, but I have an almond allergy.  So finding granola in the store without an almond, is well....darn near impossible.

I've never made my own, but I keep saying that I will one day.  Maybe I will now knowing that I can use my crockpot.  Anywho....I wanted to pass on a tip that I read a long time ago about different tastes of granola.  Try changing the flavoring, fruit and nuts.

Think tropical - Add coconut extract or buttered rum type flavoring, big flake coconut and macadamia nuts.
Think haystack candy - butterscotch extract and peanuts
Think comforting oatmeal - maple syrup, brown sugar and pecans or walnuts.
Think apple crumb - brown sugar, dehydrated apple pieces and raisins

The sky is truly the limit.  Think of your favorite sweet treat - can it be adapted to a granola recipe?  Give it a shot!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeDaeBelle
"If this is about my soul-TAKE IT- I don't want it without you"

"One of the advantages of being disorganized is th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010 07:22:58 AM »

<<<JUST FOUND ON A RECIPE SITE>>>
To make it CLUMPIER (is that a word LOL)
STIR LESS

Edited to say :I'm going to try this now...I'll let you know in oh... 3 hours or so how it turns out!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010 07:32:37 AM by FaeDaeBelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeDaeBelle
"If this is about my soul-TAKE IT- I don't want it without you"

"One of the advantages of being disorganized is th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010 09:37:48 AM »

Back already! I'm not sure if I pulled it out too early but 2 hours seemed to do it for me. I thought I had more oats than I did SOOOO I used about 2 cups of the Quaker Old fashioned oats and (LMAO) 4 packets of quick cook oats. 2 Maple Brown Sugar and 2 Apple. I put in a whole stick of unsalted butter. Because the more the better right LOL and Almost a full cup of honey (maybe more maybe less...I dont do much more than "eye ball measuring") I put 3 boxes of the raisins...those little snack boxes. and enough almonds until I was satisfied there were enough. HAHA! and I did measure the vanilla b/c it's a bit on the pricey side. one table spoon.
I put it all in the crock pot after I had let it warm up. I also melted my butter and tossed that then added the honey and tossed that. I kept it VERY vented and it was sticking to the bottom and slightly browning at about 2 hours so i took it out pressed it on wax paper and then as it was cooling i slightly "tossed" it with a spoon so it could clump. when i had it in little clump balls* i put it on a plate and put it in the fridge to finish cooling. There isn't much left as my husband and I kept going in there seeking bites. ALLL AND ALLLLLLL This long ramble was to say. Nexttime i will use all Oldfashioned oats and I think it will be "less mushy" and that's all i would change. It's so delicious and I'm so proud of it I could SCREAM Smiley

* I claim all rights to the term "clump balls" LMAO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010 01:41:10 PM »

I just stuck a batch of granola in the crockpot.  It smells absolutely amazing!  I can't wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
SuperCraftyGirl
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010 02:00:05 PM »

Just joined craftster... I am going to my kitchen now to make this...yummmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yossarian
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010 06:35:01 PM »

Looks good. I think in NZ we call this muesli??
I feel like I should cook some up, its horribly windy and wet today!!!
Question, how do you store it and how long does it keep for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair
7 Fresh Ways to Style a Ponytail
Sleeping Beauty: How to Get Glam Waves While You Snooze
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...