A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Granola with blueberries and walnuts  (Read 26924 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , granola , crockpot , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010 03:28:50 PM »

Sunflower - Please let me know how it turns out with quick oats!  The recipe I started with said to only use the rolled oats so I've never even thought about trying it with anything else.  I'm curious to hear how yours will turn out!

So far it seems to be coming out fine...although I like more of a rustic type with lots of crunchy chewy bits...this is more fine...no clusters  Cry   Next batch I definitely will use the Old Fashioned Quaker and moooooore honey. Grin  I would say to use rolled I was too impatient. Cool Wink  Smiley

The house smells divine!   This is so flippin easy! A cave man can do it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 03:37:26 PM by SunflowerSmiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
cherryprincess
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010 03:33:43 PM »

I've been making my own granola for several years. I am gluten-intolerant, and most store-brand granola contains at least traces of gluten, so it's from scratch or nothing.

My granola never held together very well, until I started adding ground flax seed. Suddenly it formed those lovely little sweet clumps. I read up on it, and most commercial recipes use wheat germ and/or hydrogenated palm kernel oil to bind.

Both wheat germ and ground flax seed have a high protein and oil content that helps them to work as a binder.

So, the moral of the story is, try adding just a bit of wheat germ or ground flax seed to your mix. I generally use 1/4 cup per 4 cup batch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010 03:35:27 PM »

Oh, yum!  I will definitely be putting this in my pot next week.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010 03:39:51 PM »

I've been making my own granola for several years. I am gluten-intolerant, and most store-brand granola contains at least traces of gluten, so it's from scratch or nothing.

My granola never held together very well, until I started adding ground flax seed. Suddenly it formed those lovely little sweet clumps. I read up on it, and most commercial recipes use wheat germ and/or hydrogenated palm kernel oil to bind.

Both wheat germ and ground flax seed have a high protein and oil content that helps them to work as a binder.

So, the moral of the story is, try adding just a bit of wheat germ or ground flax seed to your mix. I generally use 1/4 cup per 4 cup batch.

hmmmmm...I put in about 3/4 ground flax and it's really crumbly...but I'm sure it's the quick oats they're pretty fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010 04:02:52 PM »

Yea my flax meal didn't seem to bind it. I'm thinking more honey would help though, I mean that makes sense, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010 04:08:10 PM »

Yea my flax meal didn't seem to bind it. I'm thinking more honey would help though, I mean that makes sense, right?
That's what I think too...Lots of honey.                              And butter. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
RamenQueen
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010 05:19:20 PM »

i am currently snowed in and this sounds wonderful ...only one problem...

I DONT HAVE OATS!

but i have the rest of the ingred. ....so question can I use unsweeted  bits and pieces of shredded wheat and oatmeal squares cereal and make in from that ?  i save all the shreddy bits from my cereal and use it as crumbs for dessert...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010 07:58:10 PM »

Okay, so, this looks really (and I mean REALLY) way too good.  And I'm this total health kick right now, and I'm sure that if I totalled this out, it wouldn't be too bad for me right?

RIGHT?

Except that even if I made it and it was healthy.... damned if I wouldn't eat it all in a matter of days.  By myself.  LOL.

But it's definitely getting bookmarked.

You know, for... company.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010 09:32:34 PM »

i am currently snowed in and this sounds wonderful ...only one problem...

I DONT HAVE OATS!

but i have the rest of the ingred. ....so question can I use unsweeted  bits and pieces of shredded wheat and oatmeal squares cereal and make in from that ?  i save all the shreddy bits from my cereal and use it as crumbs for dessert...

Huh Huh No idea. Try it and let us know! Cheesy

Okay, so, this looks really (and I mean REALLY) way too good.  And I'm this total health kick right now, and I'm sure that if I totalled this out, it wouldn't be too bad for me right?

RIGHT?

Except that even if I made it and it was healthy.... damned if I wouldn't eat it all in a matter of days.  By myself.  LOL.

But it's definitely getting bookmarked.

You know, for... company.   Wink

Meh, I mean.... It should be? maybe?  Cheesy  At least it's definitely possible for it to have no weird chemically ingredients in it, yea? No refined sugar? Maybe that's better for you than store bought?

Boy, I'm a wealth of information, aren't I? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010 04:49:11 AM »

You could always divide the finished batch and freeze it so you don't eat it all at once. I also saw a recipe for granola bread, so you could do things with it, then eat it!  Wink

Of course, last time I tried doing that, I discovered that frozen cookies taste pretty good... Grin

I never use my crockpot, but I've been thinking about making granola. I might have to drag it out. I really don't like the recipes that have you bake loose mixtures on cookie sheets. They invariably get all over the place (I made Caramel Corn Chex Mix yesterday, so the experience is fresh in my mind). Undecided
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 07:30:46 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Josh Turner on His Book "Man Stuff"
Ruth Reichl Talks About Her New Book
Andrew D. Kaufman on Tolstoy and War and Peace
Top 10 Notes: The Old Man and the Sea
Bruce Allen Murphy: The Book That Changed My Life
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...