A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize other supplies?  (Read 722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maggiedoll
« on: January 06, 2010 02:28:59 PM »

I'm getting a (slightly) better idea of how I'll organize my fabric, but I was wondering how others organize other sewing supplies?  Do you have a commercial sewing box, or something more personalized?  Did you make something?  How many compartments/sections?  More than one sewing box?  What about things like zippers and buttons?  And are you able to find what you need when you need it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010 05:37:34 PM »

Check out this brilliant idea for tight spaces. I just saw it today through Craftzine:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/01/billy_bookcase_craft_space.html

The crafter took two tall IKEA book shelves, put them together with a piano hinge, and added wheels to the bottom. She also added a fold-out shelf for her sewing machine "table." She folds the whole structure away when she's not using it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010 07:40:49 PM »

I store mine in separate boxes: one for thread, one for zippers, one for elastic, etc. The ones I have lock together with ridges on the lids so they don't topple over when stacked. They're clear so everything is easy to find and each box stacks easily on every other box even though they are a few sizes, so I can fit them in different spaces if I need to. They're similar to these: http://www.spacesavers.com/iris-1-6-stacking-box.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010 08:36:14 PM »

I hate throwing away those plastic tubs, you know the kind that sour cream, butter and yogurt come in.  I also hate reusing them for food, so I use them to store pins, buttons, etc in.  To store the tubs, I put them in an old wine rack, the kind you set on the counter, the tubs don't fit in well but it keeps them organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010 09:24:00 PM »

I'd love to have everything in one single place, but haven't found a proper solution that satisfy me.  I have a sewing box that is like a little table, it's got a flat drawer too and somebody gave it wheels at some point of its life.  I repainted it and refurbished it and keep most of my haberdashery and notions there.  On a shelf it has at the bottom I keep a plastic caroussel of small drawers where I keep beads, embellishments and the likes and also a wooden box where I keep scraps.  Then recently I got tired of finding myself having to move things from the top of the table to be able to get stuff from inside the sewing box, so I made a small handy box where I keep the essentials (needlebook, threads, pincushion, scissors...).  It lives on my big table and helps me find everything really quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
kylenstevesmom
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010 06:52:03 AM »

This is an area where I am somewhat organized!!!
I have a serger, and 5 sewing machines...  So not only do I have regular thread, I also have serger cones, and since I sew in the master bedroom, I need to keep it all together.
I have 2 hanging wooden thread racks, 1 for serger cones, and 1 for sewing thread (I just recently found this at a thrift store, and for $2 I couldn't pass it up!!!). 

On my sewing table I have 2 plastic 3 drawer organizers, which have all my "supplies" I have those labeled so that I reach in grab what I need and start sewing. 

I inherited my mil & gmil's thread and quilting things....  Those are in their original vintage sewing boxes, which are stacked beside the sewing table.
For Xmas my husband bought me a bobbin organizer that stacks, so if you need more stacker's you can buy them.  I think the box said Clover on it.  It's great because out of 5 machines only 2 have the same bobbin size!  I do have another little bobbin box I was using, so I will put that in my trailer as I have a sewing kit there too.
Underneath my sewing table I have 2 tall plastic 3 drawer organizers with all my elastic, Velcro, interfacing, scout badges, and whatever else I can fit down there!!!
I keep my buttons in a button organizer I bought at a trade show, and I also have a button box, and a zipper box.
All my cutting mats, hand quilt hoops, and cardboard cutting mats are stuck in the closet....
I realized that I have a bunch of patterns hanging around on the sewing table, which could be moved to my pattern file... I also have a basket with ribbon, and any other "stuff" I might need while I'm sewing!

Now, I gotta go organize so I can sew this afternoon!!!

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010 09:36:47 AM »

Weeeellll if you take a peek at the bottom row of my GIANT Expedit "wall of fabric" you'll see teal colored bins.. yup most of it is crammed in there... I have them organized mostly by category. One has shipping supplies and stationary, the next one has "hard" notions (buttons, extra bobbins, extra machine needles, various glues, snaps, grommets, purse frames, extra pins, purse making findings latches, magnetics, closures... blah blah) the next bin I store soft notions (zippers, ribbon, bias tape piping, cording, laces etc etc) the next bin I store odds and ends and stuff I use to maintain my machines and just general crap... the last bin I like to store my soft and slippery fabrics in, like chiffons and such since they tend to slide right off of the fabric shelves when stacked. Other than the fabric and the stationary bin I pretty much just have it all tossed in there, but I try to keep "like" things bunched together, i.e. rubber band packages of bias tape and pipings have smaller plastic containers for buttons and snaps. The bins are specially made to fit perfectly within the cube section of the shelving unit. If you can get one I would DEF recommend an Expedit they are the BEST.. check craigslist if you don;t have an ikea close by.

I also have two sewing machine cabinets that have little drawers, each drawer has a general category of stuff in it that pertains to THAT workstation and the machines I use in that area, i.e attachments for the Hsqvarna the Necchi Supernova and the Serger are in one desk... the other desk houses stuff for my Other necchi and Other Singer. Top drawers are always for sissors, seam rippers, "turners", measure sticks, marking pens and other things I typically need in a flash the other drawers holds the less frequently used stuff like the various foot attachments and cams used for decorative stitches.

I'll go back to the other thread and answer your question about my pattern stash..... 80)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Moisturizing Hair Conditioner
How to Texture Hair
Short Hairstyles for Women
African American Hairstyles Tips
How to Create Long Hair Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...