A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,966
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand Stitched Appliqued Tree - First Quilt  (Read 3118 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , applique , tree , hand_stitched  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachel.in.rainbows
« on: January 06, 2010 01:25:58 PM »

Hey there!  

This is my first quilt, and I'm pretty proud of it!  It's been a couple years in the making, with *long,* well needed pauses.  (Aka that time that I spent five hours doing the final pinning for the binding only to find that it was slightly off on the back.  There was a nice five or six month gap right there.)  I started stitching as part of a class project in 2007, and finished it a few days ago.  I decided that pigs would probably fly before I would be able to muster up the patience to cut and stitch together a patchwork, so I went for a bit more organic look by appliqueing the beast.  

It's stitched of cotton fabrics, and I used a cotton batting.  It's stitched with cotton coated polyester for strength.  I designed it myself, and used taped together sheets of bristol board to make a template for the tree.  Oh!  And I should also mention that I hand stitched the entire thing-- start to finish.  And what can I say?  I love love love it!!

Without further ado, the pictures!

The front of the quilt.  It actually sits quite square, which this picture doesn't really show.  The fact that it's being suspended in the air is making it sag down.

The back--made of light and dark blue pre-quilted material.  No, I did not do those lines myself. ^_^  Took me a looong time to find the right fabric for this part.  Or at least, the fabric that I wanted.

Close-up on the fabrics used on the front.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 01:30:03 PM by pinky_penguin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010 01:36:20 PM »

I freaking LOVE this!!!!  You did an excellent job and (50) kudos to you for hand stitching it!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
cutek94
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010 01:43:03 PM »

oh my *-*
all of this is hand-stitched?!?!?!
this is amazing  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010 01:47:54 PM »

Thanks to you both!!  I'm so glad you both appreciate the simple fact that it's all been hand stitched!  It's taken me houuuurss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010 02:07:30 PM »

I am hitting 'this rocks'!  Great looking tree and the fact that it is entirely hand made is awe-inspiring!  Also great choice of fabrics, they really coordinate well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010 02:15:14 PM »

I am hitting 'this rocks'!  Great looking tree and the fact that it is entirely hand made is awe-inspiring!  Also great choice of fabrics, they really coordinate well. 

*blush* oh my!!  thank you so much!  I'm glad you like the fabrics!  When I was picking them, the only thing I knew for sure was that I did NOT want brown for the tree! ^.^  And it was pretty remarkable that I picked the one I did for the border!!  It looked horrible on the bolt, it was so overwhelming!!  Fortunately it kind of blends into the back on the actual quilt! Tongue  I'm glad you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scientific Quilter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010 02:29:16 PM »

Thats a BIG quilt to applique.  I am working on an applique that has a large background piece on it so I really appreciate your patience with wrestling with such a large quilt.  Its also nice to see the background fabric in comparison to the tree fabric.  I also really love the back - does the dark back show through to the front of the quilt - I'm just wondering for my own sake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starting a blog / podcast at http://scientificquilter.wordpress.com
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010 02:38:43 PM »

Thats a BIG quilt to applique.  I am working on an applique that has a large background piece on it so I really appreciate your patience with wrestling with such a large quilt.  Its also nice to see the background fabric in comparison to the tree fabric.  I also really love the back - does the dark back show through to the front of the quilt - I'm just wondering for my own sake.

Hey, thanks for the comments!  It certainly was tough to applique!  The hardest part was doing the interior of the curves.  That was a challenge, but it got easier the more I did.  As for the background showing through, it doesn;t.  I didn't really know what I was doing, to be honest, so I stitched the front piece to a sheet of cotton batting.  The backing was pre-quilted, with coloured cotton on both sides of the batting.  I then stitched all the way around the outside to sandwich it all together.  It's all held in place by some small stitches through all layers where each of the squares on the back meet up.  So in short, no it doesn't show through because there's a layer of batting preventing that.  It actually turned out to be a really thick and warm quilt because of the double layer of batting.  Sorry for the longwindedness.  And thanks again. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010 07:00:02 AM »

Oh.my.word.  This is freakin' awesome.  I love, love, love your tree.  It's beautiful.  And all that hand stitching.  Amazing work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010 12:56:17 PM »

Oh.my.word.  This is freakin' awesome.  I love, love, love your tree.  It's beautiful.  And all that hand stitching.  Amazing work!!!

Thank you so much!  I'm so glad you like it!  And I'm so much more flattered for having designed it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Pan Fry Chicken Breast with Fennel, Capers and Pine Nuts
Learn how to Cook Chicken with Fennel, Capers and Pine Nuts
Learn how to Pan Fry Turkey Burgers and Finish the Dish
Learn how to Make Turkey Burgers
Learn how to Make Cucumber and String Bean Salad with Olive Tapenade Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...