A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Pasta...yummy!  (Read 7932 times)
Tags for this thread: pasta , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010 10:01:26 AM »

can you use just regular wheat flour?  how does the homemade pasta taste without the egg?  I wonder if one used a spicy oil as the binder how it would taste?  yummmmmmmm

Honestly, I doubt you would notice the difference if you used spicy oil. My rule of thumb is, use flavored oils for garnishes, not cooking. Cooking will destroy the flavor of most oils. I never got why, when watching cooking shows, they insist on cooking certain things with olive oil. To look fancy I guess, because heat destroys the flavor of the oil. You might as well save the good stuff and use cheap ole veggie/canola oil for cooking. Now, if you tossed the cooked pasta in the spicy oil, I'd bet that would be wicked good.
  I say I agree with the use of spicy oils and usually never cook with olive oil on any type of high heat..I don't get the cooking shows that do that either..Why? because I heard that when you heat olive oil to a certain point it turns carcinogenic. So I avoid.  I did use a bit in the pasta....extra virgin and it was soooo good...the flavor was yummy!
Craftewomen...I would LOVE some veggie recipes!

I have a foodie blog here:
http://shoestringcooking.blogspot.com/
I'll be posting some of my more recent inventions this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010 02:19:02 PM »

That looks great!  I have never made my own pasta before, but I am super-interested in the possibility of making my own without EGGS.  Somehow it seems to me that it would just kinda fall apart though!  How much oil/water should I use per missing egg?  Would the cooking time still be only a few minutes?  Thanks to anyone who replies.
  That's my question too.. Wink  the eggs are a great binder and cook up nicely...so I'm not sure how the pasta would cook without eggs....I know that there are eggless pasta in packages. But it sounds like ojy has done this lots of times before so maybe she can let us know how it turns out?  Ooooooor I could try it tonight!  I'm wondering if the wheat would be a good binder in itself since it's soo um...wheaty and rough and the oil....is um...oil like so I bet it would kneed out the same?  I'm super curious though.
eggless wheat yumorama Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010 04:24:03 PM »

Wheat is not a binder. If you don't have enough gluten it will be like sand. There are other binders that you can use. I did some research for egg substitutes. This is what I found for other binders:
To Achieve The Binding Properties Of Eggs:
Use one mashed banana per two eggs in baked sweets.
Try blending two ounces of silken or soft tofu per egg with the liquid in the recipe.
One tablespoon of arrowroot or one tablespoon soy flour and two tablespoons water mixed together also work when added to the ingredients.
Try a mixture of 2 tablespoons flour, two tablespoons water, (half) tablespoon oil and (half) teaspoon baking powder.

Here's the link to where I found the info:
http://www.thecookinginn.com/eggsub.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010 07:17:53 PM »

That looks very yummy!  Nothing better than home-made food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010 09:49:53 AM »

can you use just regular wheat flour?  how does the homemade pasta taste without the egg?  I wonder if one used a spicy oil as the binder how it would taste?  yummmmmmmm

Honestly, I doubt you would notice the difference if you used spicy oil. My rule of thumb is, use flavored oils for garnishes, not cooking. Cooking will destroy the flavor of most oils. I never got why, when watching cooking shows, they insist on cooking certain things with olive oil. To look fancy I guess, because heat destroys the flavor of the oil. You might as well save the good stuff and use cheap ole veggie/canola oil for cooking. Now, if you tossed the cooked pasta in the spicy oil, I'd bet that would be wicked good.
  I say I agree with the use of spicy oils and usually never cook with olive oil on any type of high heat..I don't get the cooking shows that do that either..Why? because I heard that when you heat olive oil to a certain point it turns carcinogenic. So I avoid.  I did use a bit in the pasta....extra virgin and it was soooo good...the flavor was yummy!
Craftewomen...I would LOVE some veggie recipes!

I have a foodie blog here:
http://shoestringcooking.blogspot.com/
I'll be posting some of my more recent inventions this week.

I too would LOVE some of the veggie recipes! Especially the kid-friendly ones! My 12 year old step son has decided that eating meat is mean but refuses to eat much other than mac and cheese. He's gaining weight by the day because of all the carbs and every time we see him it's just getting worse. HELP!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kyria_Nathiel

Craftster in training

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010 01:35:38 PM »

How long does it have to dry for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diagnosed with chronic creation
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010 02:07:43 PM »

I didn't dry it at all.  If you do dry it...you may have to cook it a bit longer but not much...it cooks really really fast.  But you don't have to dry it. You can..but you can cook it right up right after you roll it out..

Try it! it's fun..easy and yuuuuuummmmy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Kyria_Nathiel

Craftster in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010 02:33:36 PM »

I didn't dry it at all.  If you do dry it...you may have to cook it a bit longer but not much...it cooks really really fast.  But you don't have to dry it. You can..but you can cook it right up right after you roll it out..

Try it! it's fun..easy and yuuuuuummmmy!
Really? Awesome!
I think I may run off and do that right now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diagnosed with chronic creation
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010 02:43:25 PM »

Seriously it's really really good.  Plus, when you make the dough ball, divide in half and then roll the half out really thin like and remember...when it floats to the top...it's done..maybe 2 to 3 minutes...ohhhh your gonna looooove it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010 06:50:59 PM »

Ideally, you don't want to. Fresh pasta is WAY better than dried pasta. And, if you don't plan to cook it immediately, freeze it rather than drying it. That holds the flavors better and makes it cook better than if it is dried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Cake Stand
Ed Donovan Talks About Glass Blowing
Todd Hansen Talks About Glass Blowing
How to Make a Sexy Schoolgirl Halloween Costume
Turning a Collared Shirt Into a Sexy Dress
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...