A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Pasta...yummy!  (Read 7953 times)
Tags for this thread: pasta , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

strategicdecay
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010 01:01:44 PM »

i've never seriously considered making my own pasta before.  THANK YOU for making me realize how simple it is! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftmagicmomma

winner winner chicken dinner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010 08:58:16 AM »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010 01:28:23 PM »

If you wanted to make whole wheat pasta, would you just substitute the white flour for wheat flour?

Awesome post, you've inspired me to try this out sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010 01:36:02 PM »

If you wanted to make whole wheat pasta, would you just substitute the white flour for wheat flour?
I don't know? Undecided  buuuuuuut I sure want to try it!  If you try it make sure and let us all know how it is Wink  I would think it would be the same...maybe just a bit more cooking time? I bet it would taste delicious Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010 04:23:18 PM »

This is correct. You may also want to add a few drops (really, like a teaspoon) of water to the mix.

You can also use water as a substitute for eggs. So really, if you wanted you could use 2-3 eggs and finish off by gradually adding water to get to the right consistency. You could even omit the eggs all together and use all oil and water if you are vegan. I have a ton of pasta recipes.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 04:25:42 PM by ojy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010 06:23:37 PM »

This is correct. You may also want to add a few drops (really, like a teaspoon) of water to the mix.

You can also use water as a substitute for eggs. So really, if you wanted you could use 2-3 eggs and finish off by gradually adding water to get to the right consistency. You could even omit the eggs all together and use all oil and water if you are vegan. I have a ton of pasta recipes.  Wink
  can you use just regular wheat flour?  how does the homemade pasta taste without the egg?  I wonder if one used a spicy oil as the binder how it would taste?  yummmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010 09:17:49 PM »

can you use just regular wheat flour?  how does the homemade pasta taste without the egg?  I wonder if one used a spicy oil as the binder how it would taste?  yummmmmmmm

Yeah, you can use regular wheat flour. It does taste a little different without the egg, but not bad. and since you will most likely be putting some form of sauce on it or filler in it, the difference is inconsequential.

Honestly, I doubt you would notice the difference if you used spicy oil. My rule of thumb is, use flavored oils for garnishes, not cooking. Cooking will destroy the flavor of most oils. I never got why, when watching cooking shows, they insist on cooking certain things with olive oil. To look fancy I guess, because heat destroys the flavor of the oil. You might as well save the good stuff and use cheap ole veggie/canola oil for cooking. Now, if you tossed the cooked pasta in the spicy oil, I'd bet that would be wicked good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010 09:46:19 PM »

I may have to try this! I make my own bread every week. I can't stand even the smell of store bought bread. I've spoiled myself and my family! This may be the start of never buying pasta again...
BTW, if you want some good vegetarian recipes with plenty of protein, I have some that I've made up. Even the kids like them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010 09:19:17 AM »

Honestly, I doubt you would notice the difference if you used spicy oil. My rule of thumb is, use flavored oils for garnishes, not cooking. Cooking will destroy the flavor of most oils. I never got why, when watching cooking shows, they insist on cooking certain things with olive oil. To look fancy I guess, because heat destroys the flavor of the oil. You might as well save the good stuff and use cheap ole veggie/canola oil for cooking. Now, if you tossed the cooked pasta in the spicy oil, I'd bet that would be wicked good.
  I say I agree with the use of spicy oils and usually never cook with olive oil on any type of high heat..I don't get the cooking shows that do that either..Why? because I heard that when you heat olive oil to a certain point it turns carcinogenic. So I avoid.  I did use a bit in the pasta....extra virgin and it was soooo good...the flavor was yummy!
Craftewomen...I would LOVE some veggie recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
indigo flower girl
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010 09:32:24 AM »

That looks great!  I have never made my own pasta before, but I am super-interested in the possibility of making my own without EGGS.  Somehow it seems to me that it would just kinda fall apart though!  How much oil/water should I use per missing egg?  Would the cooking time still be only a few minutes?  Thanks to anyone who replies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Makeup
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 1
Easy Photo Frames and Borders in Photoshop
How to Use the Soft Light Layer Mode
Creating an Orange Sky in Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...