A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One of a Kind  (Read 3069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 05, 2010 08:51:31 PM »

This entry is very much a group effort, that evolved from thinking I'd provide some pre-made kits for my guests, to the idea that they could each design a component for a sort of modern structure, to surprising me with a complete design by our youngest member, from which we created this unique gingerbread building:

The night before the festivities, I made a batch-and-a-half of dough.  After explaining my "everyone design a piece" idea and providing paper, pens, and cardboard, I went into the kitchen to see about warming up the gingerbread so it could be rolled out.  When I went back to the living room, Marisa and Gabe had conferred and Marisa had drawn a picture of what they thought we should build...

...and Gabe was starting to make pattern pieces out of the cardboard.  The structure was to have a garage, main house, attached guest cottage, and a tower with a globe at the top, inspired by Jack Skellington's place in "Nightmare Before Christmas."  We ended up making everything but the garage (only because we ran out of time).

Here are some action shots:

Gingerbread walls, fresh from the oven.  For the windows we cut openings in the dough to fit these cool window-looking pretzels and placed them into the openings before baking, which allowed them to be sealed into the dough as it cooked.  Nancy did the lion's share of the rolling, relieved periodically by Janet.

Marisa (architect) and Gabe (primary contractor) at work on construction

Main house and guest cottage walls are up

The tower and especially the globe provided the biggest challenges in trying to figure out how to make them, and more importantly how to make them sturdy.  After rejecting three or four ideas for making the globe, I hit upon one that worked: wrapping foil around two small Pyrex popover cups, draping the dough over, baking, and then sealing the two halves together (after removing the cups, of course).

Installing the "stained glass" (i.e., melted colored sugar crystals) in the main house

Construction is almost complete, the tower is in place, and you can see some of the stained glass pieces in the foreground; the tower was made by cutting a sheet of dough, wrapping it around a foil-wrapped paper towel tube, and then wrapping that in parchment paper, and although the seam didn't meld on baking it was easy to "glue" together with our powdered sugar cement

And at last, all the trim and details are in place, including shutters to match the windows, awnings (halves of Fruit Loops), design elements on the tower and upper walls, a walkway (halved Hot Tamale bricks and chocolate candy corn stones) to the front door past the matured landscaping, vines cover the walls, and the pond is ready for swimming

Lit from within, with light shining through the stained glass windows

And the back of the building

Many, many thanks to Janet, Nancy, Marisa, and Gabe for design and construction, and to Kathie, Phil, and Joy for cheering us all on.  I am SO looking forward to doing this again next year...if not sooner!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 09:49:12 PM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsStash
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010 08:43:20 AM »

I like the candy coated globe and I think using those pretzels for the windows was very smart!  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizefd
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010 10:28:20 PM »

Great job fromming the gingerbread and I love the plan.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliska
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010 08:05:44 AM »

what a wonderful project! I love your action pics and the whole group-effort-idea and of course the final house!! very, very nice! I should get my friends more involved into my crafting!!! It looks like you guys had much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Brian Griffin
How to Draw a Porsche
How to Draw a Blue Neko Girl
Whitechapel Gallery Digital Art Exhibit: When Artists and Geeks Collide
Creating Alternate Versions of Your Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...