A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weybridge House in gingerbread form!  (Read 4418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mojopoly
« on: January 05, 2010 04:39:43 PM »

Over Thanksgiving break, I decided to make a replica of the house I live in at school to enter into the local Folklife Center's annual gingerbread house competition.  Our house is called Weybridge, and is the Environmental Studies house on campus.  We're a co-op of 18 students, cooking our own vegetarian, all-local food (from Vermont).  I've always loved the architecture of our house, with the porches, shutters, and mansard roof, so I was excited to make a little edible version of the house.  I decided to set it in the fall, so I could include the fall foliage, vegetables in the garden, our jack-o-lanterns out front, and green grass.  The house ended up quite small because I wanted to include our garden and a couple trees with a laundry line and the competition had a 12"x16" base size limit.  The house itself is about 5" tall, though it seems to look a lot bigger in the photos!

Hope you like it!

The house is plain gingerbread (though light colored, as it's a white house), held together with royal icing. I used rolled oats (local, from Butterworks Farm) for the roof, and gum for the little window/door roofs. The windows are caramelized sugar, and the shutters are pieces of fruit roll-up. The sidewalks are made from homemade dried apple slices that I cut into little squares.

There's an assortment of fall vegetables growing, including pumpkins, kale, chard, mesclun, bell peppers, eggplant, corn, broccoli, carrots, and cabbages...yum! They're all made out of different candies and sprinkles. The garden beds are surrounded by a border of wheatberries (from nearby Gleason Grains). I put gingerbread benches and a fruit roll-up hammock on the porch. The columns on the porch were each made with two little licorice candies stacked on end and held together with royal icing.

The trees are made of caramelized sugar like the windows, with leaves of chopped up leaf-shaped sprinkles (the house ended up a lot smaller than I originally intended when I bought the leaves...). I made a laundry line out of a slice of licorice rope, and hung fruit roll-up clothes on the line (including three styles of jeans, short- and long-sleeved shirts, underwear, socks, and a tiny bra!).

The stairs are made of layered slices of gum. I made the jack-o-lanterns on the porch by sticking two of the orange leaf sprinkles together and topping them with a broken piece of brown sprinkle. The door was made of a piece of mystery flavored airhead. The foundation below the bay windows was made with hazelnut wafer cookies cut one way, while the lattice below the porch was made with the same cookies cut the other way.

The view from above...to get a sense of scale, the board it's on is 12"x16". The main part of the house is about a 4-5" cube.

Here's what the front of the house actually looks like.

And our porch, with the hammock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 04:53:38 PM »

There are so many awesome and new things about your gingerbread house I love.  I like the look of the rolled oats for the roof... I will be stealing that idea in the future... also your trees with the fallen leaves!  I have never seen that before.

Your garden is wonderful and all the different rows of vegis in there look almost real in the photos.

Thank you for sharing this with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsayrose
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 05:09:37 PM »

Hooray for Middlebury! Totally awesome gingerbread house! It looks so much like it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caffeinekitteh
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010 05:11:27 AM »

This is really really nice!! Like, WOW, nice. O_O
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a pessimist I'm pretty optimistic!
MrsStash
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010 07:20:25 AM »

I love autumn, and I love how you portrayed it!  The partially barren trees are great, as well as the garden which looks ready for harvest!  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chelsea anne
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010 03:28:52 PM »

The garden blows me away! With fall vegetables! How awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010 01:15:37 PM »

I really <3 the detail you've put into your gingerbread house, the veg and the hammock and whatnot, really awesome Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 10:18:50 AM »

Hello from Bennington.   You did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010 10:03:19 AM »

That's really cute and a pretty good recreation of the house.  I especially love the garden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 2/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 4/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 9/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...