A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another ribbon weave QR code  (Read 1110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2011 10:47:46 AM »

Many years ago, soon after we were married, my late mother-in-law bought us this winnowing basket from a street vendor.  She liked the sentiment but also the spelling mistake.
  We also loved  it and it has been beside our front door ever since.

I recently took a ribbon weaving class and, inspired by Trekkys QRcode, I decided to up-date the basket by replicating the message, complete with misspelling, in a ribbon weave QR code. http://azonmedia.com/qrcode-generator was used to create the QR code from the text.

I pinned  a piece of iron-on interlining with the glue side up onto a cardboard base, pinned my white ribbons on top and then wove the black ribbons going the other way.

I found it quite difficult as the QR pattern did not really lend itself to regular weaving.  Some of the white ribbons were left hanging for several rows.  This picture shows where I cheated and cut the black ribbon and attached white to either end just so I could weave it on top of the white to hold it down.  Also the satin ribbon was very slippery and really did not like to stay put if it was not being held down by regular over and under weaving.

When I had finished I ironed the ribbon while it was still pinned, to fix it to the interlining.  I then removed the pins and carefully flipped it over to iron on the reverse side, to make it more secure, and finally used some black satin scraps to make a border.  It is backed with some old calico and the edges are bound with black satin bias tape.  It needs ironing again and I will need to frame it  if I am going to hang it outside next to the original.

The silly thing is that, whereas the basket can be read by anyone even with its misspelling no one in our household has any way of reading the QR code.  Huh  So I don't even know if it has worked.

Perhaps the old ways were better after all.   Undecided

P.S. The spider is not real. It is a metal work spider my daughter put there to scare me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrkaykay
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011 10:54:19 AM »

it works
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011 10:56:12 AM »

thanks mrkaykay  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basic Pie Crust
How to Grill a Perfect Burger
How to Make Home-Style Meatloaf
Red Beet Pancake Recipe
Pizza Muffins Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...