A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,045
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the worlds ugliest ring holder, but i like it!  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellybellygirl
« on: January 05, 2010 01:19:13 PM »

this is my first "real" attempt using clay.  yes, it's sculpey.. i had it on hand leftover from some craft projects with summer camp.  i wanted a ring holder for christmas, but i didn't get one. i figured i'd try to make my own.  i have no idea any terms for anything with clay, and i have no tools... but here it is. the ugliest ring holder... EVER! Smiley

be gentle... or in awe of its ugly Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Somethingotherthanusual
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 05:27:35 PM »

i reeeaaallly like this! It's really origional and kind of abstract
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 07:14:42 PM »

HA HA You are so honest with your own work--yeah, it is pretty ugly yet still loveable!  Grin

I am sure we all have a box full of uglies in our closets...hey--you have to start some where!

At least it is colorful and useable---and you will remember it always!

Keep on practicing and creating--that is what counts!

btw--your work surface is awesome, however.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
jellybellygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 07:39:51 PM »

thanks guys... Smiley i keep looking at it and it just grows on me lol! it's just so ugly. it reminds me of these shoes i had 3 years ago. they were black and green and hideous but they were my favorite shoes. i called them my ugly shoes. that's what this reminds me of!

alwaysinmyroom: my work space is a work in progress. it's been this table for a while, but it's been a huge mess. i just started reorganizing my craft area (wish it was a room lol) and just did the glass panels the other night. i love how it turned out.  eventually i am going to paint and seal the wood trim around it, and may fabric panels to cover the sides so i can use it as storage, but still hide my mess from company. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010 07:46:27 PM »

Is it patterns on glass?  I have two wooden doors that are quite plain..since I sew, I would love to use some old pattens on it but not sure how they would hold up...I am sure covering it with glass would be expensive...I did make velcro "curtains" on the bottom to cover my mess, too!!  I used velcro so I can wash them as I am so messy! ha ha

ha ha I can relate to ugly shoes that you love...or anything for that matter...we have a cat that is very fugly but we love him!!! ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010 08:12:35 AM »

Actually I don't think it's ugly at all  Grin.   I love that it's works exactly well for it's intended purpose too, and the creativity and usefulness are definitely endearing (don't mean that word in a dismissive way).

I'm curious to know if you made it over a form or forms of any kind, and if there are armatures inside/underneath.

I think any "ugliness" you see just comes from the colors you happened to use, and the uneveness of the ropes/etc if you didn't intend that.  The red and green are complementary colors so they create a very contrasty look.  That along with the sometimes-uneveness of the ropes and the twisted colors in some of those too just makes the whole item look really busy and takes away from noticing its shape as much. . . also, using a toned-down (beigey) color with the clear bright primary colors, and just in one place, adds another level of "differentness" that the eye sees when looking at it, but I don't think it doesn't eventually "work."
Pretty soon you'll be seeing your color possibilities for polymer clay as huge, maybe even mixing your own colors or color gradients, and learn how to make even ropes (or twisted square ropes, etc) of clay if you want that, and how to use brands and techniques that keep the clay from distorting while working with it, and be flying with clay!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
jellybellygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010 08:40:40 AM »

alwaysinmyroom: yes, it's patterns. i have 2 shelves that i covered with patterns to give it a more interesting look and decided to use the rest of them on the glass. it definitely brought out an interesting look. i'll get better pics soon to show it off. velcro!  yes! that's a good idea, too!  and we're in the process of adopting a fugly cat.. well, he's so fugly he's cute. poor guy has a broken ear and he looks so sad and pathetic.. lol.. but he's adorable!

diane b: it is all clay. there is nothing inside it, under or, and it wasn't layed on anything. whatever came from this was completely.. haphazard almost. it took 10 minutes to put together lol!  i have so many crafting hobbies and am trying to learn more. eventually i'm going to start getting tools and books on this as i find it an interesting artform. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010 09:39:07 AM »

Thanks--hubby said I could put poly on it like they use for floors! YAY!

I wish I could get interested in clay--I love what people do but it does not appeal to me...thank goodness one of my best buddies is teapotdonkey--she satisfies my clay needs! ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010 08:14:13 AM »

diane b: it is all clay. there is nothing inside it, under or, and it wasn't layed on anything. whatever came from this was completely.. haphazard almost.

Another comment I might have then Wink is that polymer clay shouldn't be made any thicker than 1 1/4" for one baking because it can often crack when thicker, and also that you can feel free to use many kinds of temporary or permanent forms/armatures when making thicker items since most will be fine at the low temps we use for curing polymer clay.  
Armatures can range from things like scrunched aluminum foil shapes to items or just materials like sealed wood, wire, glass, other pre-baked clay or even air-dry clays, and many plastics (some will shrink though if not completely covered), etc.  Forms can be just about anything too from upturned bowls to boxes of various kinds to more aluminum foil, etc., etc....forms may be baked with the clay then removed, or not.  

yes, it's sculpey..

Apologies to others who get tired of hearing me say this  Roll Eyes, but since you're new to polymer clay just be aware that the 3 main "Sculpeys" (original Sculpey and SuperSculpey-flesh in boxes, and Sculpey III in packages) will be weaker than other brands and lines of polymer clay (Premo, Kato, FimoClassic, Cernit,etc) after baking in any areas where they're thin or projecting.  If those 3 are stressed in areas like that they'll break, where most other brand/lines will just bend as long as properly baked of course (FimoSoft is kind of in-between).  

i have so many crafting hobbies and am trying to learn more. eventually i'm going to start getting tools and books on this as i find it an interesting artform.

A lot of clayers are also interested in other crafts/hobbies, etc, and many find ways to use polymer clay in those hobbies or to generalize some of the techniques, etc. from those hobbies to polymer clay.   And there are just sooo many different ways to go with polymer clay (much more than sculpting btw**) that polymer clayers seldom ever get bored or run out of things to explore.  
As for tools and books, most of the tools can be found around the house and repurposed, and books are great but there's so much info online that they aren't really necessary (see my polymer clay "encyclopedia" site for example:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm --scroll all the way down)

Diane B.

**click on the category called What All Can be Done With Polymer Clay Anyway? on this page for a summary:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/info_letter.htm

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 08:18:25 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fish Prints with Ray Bliss Rich
How to Create a Hanging Jewelry Organizer
How to Make Colored Corn Jewelry
How to Create a Study Board for Homework
How to Create a Scrapbook for Vacation Photos
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...