A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MOTHER'S DAY PROJECT IDEAS FOR TODDLER'S WANTED!!!!!  (Read 4246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaz2phreek
« on: April 26, 2005 12:34:09 PM »

I don't want kids for myself so I spend lots of time with my friends' kids. I'm so stoked cuz they're all sorta getting to an age where they can DO stuff and I want to help them make gifts for momma this year. They range in age from 18 months to 26 months. Any and all ideas are welcome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
freshchck
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005 12:43:44 PM »

I know this sounds typical but you could do impressions of their hands with air dry clay then let the older ones use washable paint or even water colors to decorate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005 10:14:08 PM »

give them a big sheet of paper and paint their hands and feet and let them walk/crawl all over it? you'd have to be careful though... sorry not a very good idea!

*cole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005 11:10:22 PM »

What type of clay would you use for the handprint thing? I really want to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005 11:22:10 PM »

Hawaiilove - I did this with my cousins last year. I just bought air-drying clay from my local art store. I think it was called Plus? It was only a couple of dollars for 500g and it comes in white or terracotta.

I think sculpy make it, too, but I've not used it.

What I did was rolled it out fairly thin and cut large-ish circles with the lid of a candy tin and let them press their hands into them. They had to press fairly hard, I actually had to help the little one. Then, I wrote their names in the top with the end of a pen (I'm so ghetto) and left them on a window sill to dry.

Then, I let the kids paint them with their poster paints. Messy but fun and the grandparents loved them.

spaz2phreek - My(well, not my, but you know what I mean) little ones lOVE baking. I usually make a simple sugar cookie recipe from scratch with them, they make a mess, but they love trying to mix! Then, I let them loose on their little (well covered and on the balcony) table with spoons and icing. The results are interesting and barely edible, but mums and kids both love them. Maybe not for the littlest ones, though.

Another thing that I did this Christmas for my cousin's sets of grandparents was to turn photos and artwork of theirs into 2 1/4 inch button magnets. I just gave them each a circle cut to the right size and let them at it with their pencils. You probably don't have a button maker, but you could do the same thing with marble magnets, just stick their drawings onto the back of a magnet.

I've got loads of ideas, I'll let you know as I think of them. I spend a lot of time with our babies (don't tell them I call them babies, though!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005 11:26:53 PM »

thanks Jadey_mcshadey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005 01:06:47 AM »

Here is another idea, albeit a messy one!!

For Christmas this year, my daughter (then 10 1/2 months old) created beautiful works of "art" for both sets of grandparents...

I taped 11x14 inch pieces of bristol board to the kitchen table and let her go wild with red, yellow and blue finger paints. Once her paintings had dried, I matted them and put them in thick black metal frames. The end result: contemporary art chock full of sentimental value!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005 01:08:39 AM by Madmatigan79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005 05:32:09 AM »

You could get them to do handprints, then cut them out and attach florist wire or pipecleaners to them to make bouquets of "tulips". Moms like anything with handprints! Perhaps you could go as far as letting the kids decorate the vase you use (maybe a can with no sharp edges already painted a nice color) with stickers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
pajama_mama1
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005 08:00:06 AM »

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/flowers/handprintflower/

I'm going to make these of my boys' handprints & give the to the grandparents & greats.  Really cute & easy but the kids don't do too much of the craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ithnkuno
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005 08:12:52 AM »

take them to a paint your own ceramics shop, and do a platter or mug for them with their handprints and fingerpainting. These are great keepsakes and will be loved and used, not just put in a box or collecting dust. My friend Maggie does it every year for father's day with her 2 kids. It's fun to see how they change by looking at the platters, and they use them at their parties, and one hangs on the wall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.monkeyandme.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/ithnkuno
"every child is born an artist, the challenge is how to remain an artist when they grow up." picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Anne Easter Smith
Rebel Angels Book Trailer
Unpretty Book Trailer
My Little Red Fire Truck Book Trailer
Joseph Maroon Talks About The Longevity Factor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...