A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotton Flannel Menstrual Pads  (Read 2856 times)
Tags for this thread: cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twodustyboots
« on: January 05, 2010 11:53:15 AM »

I decided to make my own menstrual pads as I was not liking the design of the store-bought cloth menstrual pads that I owned. They were the kind where you put a pad in the back of a holder type thing and then snap the whole thing around the crotch of the panties.  It seemed too labor-intensive (I'm  loathe to do much when I'm in the "monthly way.") Plus it was hard to tell when things might have leaked, until they already had. 

So, I designed my own. Looking at other tutes, I noticed that most used cotton flannel and old washclothes or towels for material. I got on etsy and ordered some fun cotton flannel (2 half yards for under $13 total.)  Then I sketched out a design on a piece of printer paper folded in half. I then added 5/8" around that for seam allowance, and cut the design out. From there i kinda winged it. I used old buttons (as flat as I could find) for fasteners, because that's all I had. I made two designs (as far as how the pads are held in the holders-one has little straps at the top and bottom, underwhich you just slide in a pad, and one has a piece of flannel that holds the pads.) I'll see which works best. I made one holder with towel between the flannel layers, and one without (for each color) making the one with towel for "heavy" days.  All the pads have one layer of towel in between the flannel. I also made everything with finished edges, because the store-bought ones just serged the edges, but after many washings they were falling apart.

With the fabric I had left I made a little travel pouch for holding used pads.

All in all, I think they're pretty cute.
I'm planning to design some less bulky ones that are more streamlined for "lighter" days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetiedarling
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 12:24:33 PM »

woah thats a lot of work for your period! I bet they are waaaay comfier that palstic pads though, also they are the cutest pads Ive ever seen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fingerpistol

"you can't fire me! i don't work in this VAN!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 01:06:19 PM »

this may sound ridiculous, but i just think they're so cute! they look really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TPauSilver
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 03:17:40 PM »

They're cute. I've seen the made ones before but have had trouble getting hold of some but hadn't known how to make my own. Will definetley be trying to hand at it now. Looks so much nicer/cheaper/environmentally friendly then buying disposable pads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010 05:27:09 PM »

cutest dang pads I've ever seen Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
twodustyboots
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010 06:58:01 PM »

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments Grin! It really is weird but I did get really excited about getting to pick out fun fabric for them, and then I was actually anxious to try them out. Hmm, maybe "that time" will be something to look forward to?  Tongue  heehee   If you are crafty at all, it is worth it to make your own, because it is soo much cheaper and you get to pick out fun fabrics. It's kinda like shopping for clothes for your ________ (ahem).  Eve Ensler would be proud?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CoutureCreations

So many crafts, so little time!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010 01:17:50 PM »

Oh...this I like!

How do the white/blue dots ones 'hold' the extra pad?

I have used the flannel for years now - and wouldn't go back!  I'm waiting to show my girls!

These are really adorable - and now I am going to have to try my hand at making some with this design.  I've tried the other design (storebought design -- making my own) and I still have to finish...and they aren't even worthy of a picture they are so horrible and ugly!

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlonbike
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010 08:05:46 PM »

Those look really good! I prefer the kind that don't have the inserts but are just single use then wash. I find I like the freshness of an all new and clean pad each time.

Way to go taking this step to reduce waste (and increase comfort Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurennotloren
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010 10:19:10 AM »

I like these alot. I keep bouncing between products, not happy really with any I've tried. I've made a few cloth pads, but the design just isn't what I LIKE lol. I might try something similar to this, I'm not a fan of the pads that you tuck on the under side either. I like the blue polka dot set alot, that little bit of extra cloth from the wings will help! Good job on these! The fabric is so pretty, who can't help but be excited about making/using something that pretty!?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMuseFactory
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010 10:03:24 PM »

About a month ago I my best friend and I had a marathon session of making these. (Yours look great)

Something I wanted to add, we found a freebie (never been used) baby changing pad (you get them free from Enfamil) and covered it some lovely fabric to store her pads in while on the go. It's a fantastic way to carry them around since they are made for baby wipes and diapers (no worry about leakage or residue) and had A LOT of space (which was great for her when traveling).

Here's what it looked like before we beautified it: http://img28.imageshack.us/i/enfami.jpg/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes at the Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2014 Show
Behind the Scenes at the Hervé Léger Spring 2014 Show
Get The Miley Cyrus Style
Get the Taylor Swift Look
How to Dress Appropriately for a Job Interview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...