A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "love you forever" embroidered note (college ruled!)  (Read 8060 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , notebook_paper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fingerpistol

"you can't fire me! i don't work in this VAN!"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2010 10:52:26 AM »

oh, face it. we all love embroidered notes and letters. because they are AWESOME. i have been looking for an excuse (literally ANY excuse) to make one for aaaaaaages. so when christmas rolled in (and money didn't), i finally had the reason i was looking for...a christmas present for my mama!

the second-hardest part of the whole thing was just figuring out what to "write" on the note. (the hardest part was peeling off the press'n seal, but i've finally let go of my frustration. mostly.) i finally had the brilliant idea to use one of my mama's favorite children's books. my mama is a hardcore sentimental marshmallow, so i knew she'd be happy with whatever i made her. (turns out, though, it wasn't such a brilliant idea. she'd never actually read the book that i was SO SURE was her favorite. i = lame daughter. however, it is NOW one of her favorite children's books. so i also = awesome book-recommender.)

i apologize for my lame flash-y pictures. i will get better, i promise.

if you haven't read love you forever, then you are seriously missing out. it will make your eyes tear up a little. and if somebody teases you about it, all you have to do is make them read the book, and they'll shut their stupid mouths. EVERYBODY tears up at this book. it cant be helped.

i started off with a sheet of college ruled paper and some pressn seal. i traced the lines of the page onto the pressn seal, then peeled it off and stuck it to the piece of plain white cotton i was going to embroider. i waited for the lines to dry some (i used a thin sharpie pen which smudged a bit if you didnt let it dry first), then wrote the text id chosen onto the pressn seal. awesome me, i wrote it on the wrong lines. but since the pen hadnt quite dried yet, i just smudged it all off and rewrote it. HA!

from there, it was just a looooooot of teeny backstitches to get the text right (my stupid wonky handwriting is hard to embroider). after the text was finished, i focused on the lines. lots and lots of lines. followed by some more lines. and then, just for variety, i did a few more lines. yeesh.

towards the bottom of the page, i made an executive decision to try and force myself to include something at least moderately original into the piece, so i deviated on a couple of the horizontal lines toward the bottom right-hand corner of the paper. instead of just stitching the lines straight across, i incorporated christmas 2009 in cursive. (its kind of difficult to see, but if you dont mind wasting some time on flickr, you can check out the large size of the picturemuch easier to distinguish there.)

while the pressn seal totally worked as a stabilizer and/or transfer medium, it was crazy difficult to peel off afterwards. i assume it was just because of all the freaking stitches (which i THOUGHT would act as a kind of perforation to help it tear off, but nooooooo), but i cant be sure. ill have to try it again sometime. maybe.

once finished, i cut out the holes with a little pair of scissors, trimmed the edges of the page down to size, crumpled the crap out of it (to give it a crumple-y paper look), and stuck it in one of those fancypants floating frames. stupid smudges. i swear i cleaned those off before i gave it to her. (i think.)

my mama loved it. there was much (happy) crying, which led to me crying (which doesnt happen often), which led to my little brother taking a picture of me crying, which was just funny as hell.

also, for the record, i have no idea what colors of floss i used (other than the black), because i went into the craft store with the sheet of ruled paper and just picked a couple of colors that seemed to match. (im so lazy.)

blogged here.

(c&c are always appreciated because you are way cooler than i am, and i accept that.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmandaBL
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 11:04:50 AM »

that's the sweetest thing ever.  It is now added to my list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lama Rama

Special with a capital SP!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 11:14:03 AM »

AAAAH i love it. Such a great idea. I will have to try it myself but i think i might end up getting bored of all the lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fuzzy llama, Funny llama, Llama llama, Duck!
sarah84
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010 11:15:16 AM »

This is so sweet!  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010 11:18:26 AM »

The sentiment is sweet but the time your put into it is the real gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010 12:38:16 PM »

Oh, that book is a real tearjerker- as soon as I read the lines I misted up a bit.  I can't believe your mom hadn't read it yet! But still, it's a sweet sentiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
peanut
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010 12:48:16 PM »

Awesome project!

My mom weeps when she reads or even thinks about that book.  My pre-school gave a copy to all of the parents on the first day of school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010 02:19:24 PM »

I love this! I'm one of those "marshmallow moms" and that is one of my all time favorite books!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 02:23:00 PM by playswithneedles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010 05:40:32 PM »

That is so sweet~ What a wonderful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010 05:51:06 AM »

hahaha.  this sounds exactly like my mom. Tongue  Last year I made her a "love you forever" sculpture out of sculpey, and baked and painted it.  she bawled.  lol  You did a great job with the letter!  really nice work! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather Morris Cover Shoot for Seventeen Magazine
Karolina Kurkova in a Push-Up Bra
Salma Hayek Serves Up Six Sizzling Looks in 24 Hours
Viktor & Rolf Design Modern Bridal Collection
Baseball Fan Fashion: All-Star Style For the MLB or Little-League
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...