A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gingerbread pagoda: camera-happy gum paste frenzy  (Read 5438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MagicalGirl
« on: January 05, 2010 07:52:01 AM »

This is me thinking: "Hmmm...I'd really like to make a gingerbread house...and there's a Craftster contest...what would be hard to make out of gingerbread?...I know! A Chinese pagoda!" So voila!

It's the first house I've ever made without lots of help from a nearby parent or someone. I like it and I hope I get a lot of votes! Grin
The roofs were molded over cardboard frames I had made. I don't have pictures of them and it's kinda hard to explain, but I made four trapezoids out of cardboard, except with curvy sides, and stapled the curvy sides together to make a roof shape. Then I covered it with aluminum foil and greased it, and put the gingerbread on it.
Here's the door:

The walls were covered with gum paste, and the roof tiles were made with gum paste "snakes". There's almost four pounds of gum paste on this thing. I'm going into a diabetic coma just thinking about it. There's people:

and a pond:

There's fish in the pond that I made out of gum paste, but you can't see very well. The pond is jello and started to mold after a while, despite being brushed with whiskey (alcohol should have killed it!), so when I'm done this post I'm going to go throw it away.
Here's a bird's eye view of the roof:

and a view of the tree I made to hide a supporting candy cane.

It's made of chocolate I drizzled onto foil, with the foil bent so the branches were at an angle to each other, and cooled. Then I added more branches, unbending the foil to wider angles, and when it was all cool, I painted royal icing on it and sprinkled green sugar on the icing. The path is chocolate-peanut butter-covered rice crispies, and the grass is just green sugar. The rocks around the pond are bread crumbled up in royal icing, colored with cocoa powder. The people are ginger bread with royal icing clothes.
I used a gingerbread recipe from a gingerbread house book I got from the library, and I didn't like it very much, because it didn't stay flat. Next year I'm just sticking with the Joy of Cooking recipe.
I had so much fun making this! The kids will be on sugar high for a week, but we'll live. Next year I'll start earlier, and enter contests in my neighborhood, but this year, I'm only entering the Craftster contest. I can't wait for next year...

Update: the aftermath of the attack of the kids. 

There were hammers involved. And yelling. And  I karate chopped it Grin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 11:16:27 AM by MagicalGirl - Reason: added a picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
MrsStash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 08:03:33 AM »

I love this as it is not your "traditional" house.  My favorite touches are the sugar coated trees and the people!  Nice work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010 08:48:27 AM »

Very untraditional, I love it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floatingmoon
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010 11:20:54 PM »

Interesting. I guess it's not easy to make two floors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
ShammyCrafty

www.etsy.com/shop/explodingnoise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010 07:42:11 PM »

Super-cool! Very creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
How to Choose a Perm
How to Get Rid of a Green Tone in Blonde Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...