A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Front Row Seats  (Read 3468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2010 04:08:55 PM »

I feel silly entering this because of how late I'm getting it in and how many other entries there are, but I was very proud of my little project when I finished it nearly a month ago.  I made it for a city contest and the theme was the upcoming Winter Olympics (I'm in Canada - a good thirteen hours from Vancouver, but everyone is pretty excited for February anyway).  Extra points were given for sports themes, so I incorporated a ski hill into the project.  In the end, I just loved the idea of this cozy little log cabin in the woods right next to a ski hill where the occupants could watch the Olympic skiing right out their window.  I took about fifteen hours to finish this house and was pretty sugared out when it was done (something about the smell of so much sugar...even when you're not eating it, it's a bit much).

So, without further ado, pictures!  I must have taken over a hundred pictures of this house and while my lighting wasn't always great, I did end up with a few good shots from each angle to show the little details. 

I like this one as a catch-photo: the lean-to was probably my favourite detail.

The whole house from the front:

The back:

Woodpile behind lean-to:

Ski hill complete with slalom flags:

Like I said, I have tons of photos, but I'll leave it at this because it more or less shows everything.  I do have a few pretty decent macro shots that I love but I don't want to post too many pictures. Smiley

Oh, and by the way, I didn't win a thing at the city contest. Sad  Sad...but I guess that's why I'm entering this challenge, too....hope! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
DanaB
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010 05:54:00 PM »

This is just great. I love the little lean-to and the log pile! The starkness of the icing against the dark gingerbread is quite eye-catching. My gingerbread wasn't half so dark. Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010 06:16:45 PM »

Looks like a winner to me... loads of cute detail in there with your ski sticks and such... I also like your ski run... your perspective on the hill makes it look larger that it really was and added to the illusion of the house sitting down at the bottom waiting to warm and shelter the skiers.

Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010 06:44:23 PM »

This is just great. I love the little lean-to and the log pile! The starkness of the icing against the dark gingerbread is quite eye-catching. My gingerbread wasn't half so dark. Very nice.

I used an eggless recipe with molasses from gingerbreadlane.com - the last time I made a house I used corn syrup which made a very light gingerbread.  I wanted something really rustic looking this time so I went with this recipe.  If I remember right, I used brown sugar instead of white to get it even darker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010 08:17:39 PM »

That's fantastic! I love your pond but the wood pile is my favourite Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
MrsStash
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010 09:02:15 AM »

Another fan of the wood pile and lean to here!!  I think you did great!  I like the ski hill, and I love that you had a "theme" or "concept in mind.  It appeals to me, too, the idea of being able to watch the olympics from your window!  I get an image of DH and I in turtle neck cable knit sweaters sipping from mugs and peering out our windows...

Yes I have an imagination! LOL!!!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010 09:37:07 AM »

That's fantastic! I love your pond but the wood pile is my favourite Cheesy

Thanks!!  I loved that wood pile, too!

It appeals to me, too, the idea of being able to watch the olympics from your window!  I get an image of DH and I in turtle neck cable knit sweaters sipping from mugs and peering out our windows...

That sounds great to me, too, although I can't imagine my hubby in a turtleneck!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
yardenxanthe
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010 02:29:42 PM »

Another vote here for the wood pile! Smiley I love log cabins, too. The ski hill was a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010 05:32:16 PM »

Another vote here for the wood pile! Smiley I love log cabins, too. The ski hill was a great idea.

Me too, me too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Longest Length Your Skirt Should Be Is...
Where To Find Good Quality Suits, from Tim Gunn
The Best Boot Styles, from Tim Gunn
Philadelphia Buys More Sweatpants Than Any Other US City
Newsman Glenn Beck... Now Making Jeans?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...