A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UP Inspired Gingerbread House for Big Brothers, Big Sisters Auction  (Read 42273 times)
Tags for this thread: disneys_up , pixars_up , up_movie , gingerbread_house , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rjannelle
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010 11:00:27 PM »

That is so freakin good Shocked it looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010 01:21:19 PM »

Love it! What a great project to do with your family. And your house, wow. All the nostaligic charm of the movie, very well done. I found that movie so frighteningly violent for a kids film but it was certainly interesting conceptually and I'm glad to see it captured here in such a fun medium. Terrific.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010 06:28:59 PM »

A backbone of rice krispy treats?  Ingenious!  Bet that one was fun to transport   Cheesy

Having built only one gingerbread house before the Empire State Building, I already realized how important considering the transportation of the house would be, especially when it's going to be carried around the room during the auction.

I actually spent extra time on the base for the Empire State Building.  I used 2 sheets of 24" x 24" particle board sandwiched together with 1"x2" planks running inside.  The planks were spaced so the two outer most planks could have 1/2" copper pipe slid all the way through.  The copper pipe was cut about 3' long so 6" or so extended out each side and there was 2 copper pipes one for the left and one for the right... this provided 4 sturdy handles and a very solid base so moving the "monstrosity", as my wife likes to refer to it as, was very easy with 2 people.

We called a friend who had a mini-van to help transport it to the auction.  I was lucky to find that there was a whole 1/2" of clearance between the top of the tower and the door jam (after the building was dismantled into 3 sections)!

My recommendation to anyone who is faced with the possible transportation of their gingerbread house, is to use a solid non-flexible base 3/8" think or more of particle board or even 1/2" to 3/4" foam-core if you do not have the tools to cut particle board.  I buy my particle board at Home Depot and ask them to cut it for me before I purchase it.

I used 1/4" particle board this year on the UP House and ended up doing quite a bit of damage to the fence.  If you are faced with moving a house with a base that wants to bend on you, get a piece of plywood to slip under it like a big spatula.

Here is an example of a Gingerbread Space Shuttle built on 1/2" foam core.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deb7845
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2010 06:28:58 AM »

wow, its so cool and it really rocks! haha  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burningrubber
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010 01:21:25 AM »

That is awsome! And a fellow Kansan to boot! 2 thumbs ....UP. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2011 06:29:19 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Women in Comedy
The Importance Of Delivery in Comedy
Appearing on Television as a Comedian
Learn About the Comedy Club Host
How to Succeed as a Comedian on the Road
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...