A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UP Inspired Gingerbread House for Big Brothers, Big Sisters Auction  (Read 41585 times)
Tags for this thread: disneys_up , pixars_up , up_movie , gingerbread_house , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2010 03:13:48 PM »

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words!  I'm surprised at all the interest in our gingerbread houses, so many people have looked at them since I entered this one into the Craftster Challenge.

I'm trying to dig up some more photos and post them to our website of the Gingerbread UP House as well as my Gingerbread Empire State Building from 2007 and a few other Gingerbread Houses my family has worked on in past years.

We had no idea how much time goes into making one of these until my wife, Tanya donated one for the auction in 2005.  Since that year, each member of my family looks forward to making a Gingerbread House to donate and sometimes Tanya finds the time to make two.  Her houses generally sell for quite a bit more than the ones I build.  One year her two house raised over $4,000 and with the two houses our daughter and I donated, we helped raise $6,000 for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Douglas County. At auction our houses have helped earn decent money for the charity, which is the goal, none of them have ever won first place.  So I appreciate everyone who voted for my UP House online!

Here I am working late into the night placing Red Hots, one by one, onto the base of the Empire State Building.
BTW - It's a requirement that everything besides the base be edible, I had a lot of questions about how I was able to get it to stand up... I built a tower of rice crispy treats as an internal support.... read more about the construction by clicking the photo...

Here are the four gingerbread houses built by my family for the 2007 auction.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 03:25:31 PM by LawrenceKSRealEstate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010 08:11:56 AM »

I wish I could find better words than "WoW" or "phenomenal", because your work deserves something more.  I'm curious, what is your occupation?  I'm assuming you're an artist so I wondered what your medium usually is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010 09:51:37 AM »

At one point, I worked on interactive multimedia for retail stores, theme parks and restaurants... that kind of morphed into doing advertising on electronic billboards, the type you see in Times Square and Las Vegas... as well as event production... which many people would find exciting, however it was not very fulfilling to me.

Now, I support my wife's Real Estate business here in Lawrence, KS now by working on her website and helping her with advertising.  I also take residential photography for other real estate agents from time to time.  It's a lot less stressful and allows me to have good quality time with my family.  Time where I can consider doing projects like Gingerbread Houses, which would have been impossible with my previous schedule.

I'm flattered that so many people think that I do this (or something like this professionally) but this was only my 4th Gingerbread House.  Perhaps I should consider it as my next career, at worst it could help pay for all the cool tools I have on my wish list like a dough sheeter and professional oven... (yeah right!)

Also because we made the decision to do this every year, we have been perfecting our methods and purchasing tools each year... the second year we bought a stand mixer and some large baking sheets, next year we bough some tools to work with fondant, etc...

We are always picking up candy throughout the year as well...

I think the most important part is to have a good pattern.  Tanya does not like to make her patterns, she picks one out of a book... I enjoy creating my own patterns and usually start with a small paper model, then move on to a full size foam-core version as described in previous posts.  Finally, each year we try something new and there are three us so we all learn from each others mistakes and help each other when needed.

OH Yeah!  Use LOTS of PARCHMENT PAPER too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 10:04:09 AM by LawrenceKSRealEstate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010 09:38:00 PM »

You are really VERY talented! Awesome job!!!  Grin And you could REALLY consider it as your next career!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ocean_static
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010 11:59:38 AM »

amazing work!  I am in awe of your patience and dedication to all the details of the house
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010 06:14:13 PM »

That's amazing. I don't think you missed a tiny detail, great job Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010 06:12:12 PM »

Grin Hooray!  I voted for you and you won - woohoo! Truly an awesome recreation of the UP house and I'm touched it was for such a great charity.

Martha~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
skatergirl1007
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2010 12:10:09 PM »

I love the house and I also liked the movie. But this house is so much cooler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mittenz
little miss crafty pants

gimme fortune cookies!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2010 11:01:38 PM »

This is amazing i can't get over how amazing it really is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I pity them because they're all the same.
madgrin
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010 05:47:25 PM »

A backbone of rice krispy treats?  Ingenious!  Bet that one was fun to transport   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Lower Thirds Part 2 - Photoshop for Video 94
Photosop CS4 New Features
How to Use the New Layer Palette in Photoshop CS4
Peachpit TV: Using the New Vibrance Adjustment Layer in CS4
Peachpit TV: Aligning Images in Photoshop CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...