A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Knoob  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raeonix
Crochet, Cross-stitch, Scrapbooking

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2010 09:42:29 PM »

I've just begun knitting since November, and I'm working on my first project that isn't a rectange or a square, and I already need help!

In the pattern I'm working on, it says "sl all sts to waste yarn", which I know means slip all stitches to waste yarn, but what the heck does it MEAN? Just pull my stitches off the needle? Slip onto the other needle? What does "to waste yarn" mean? Somebody save me!

PS The pattern is Busy Day Dress from the book Learn to Knit in the Round by Company's Coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassyRedhead
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010 07:46:33 AM »

it's basically putting them aside to work later. I use a stitch holder, which is something you purchase and could be a waste of money if you are comfortable using waste yarn. Just slip some extra yarn through the stitches so that you don't drop any, then you can pull them off the working needle. this way the stitches are still live/active, and when you finish knitting what you are working on, you put them back on a needle to finish working.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010 11:49:48 AM »

Waste or scrap yarn is some that's leftover from another project; you're using it as a stitch holder. You can use a small safety pin like stitch holder, but position it so the sts are on both sides of it, not just one. The sts need to fold up to knit the hand so you don't have to stretch the yarn across the gap. You can also use some thin string or heavy crochet thread if you have that around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
raeonix
Crochet, Cross-stitch, Scrapbooking

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010 08:07:19 PM »

Thank you so much for replying, I laid in bed awake for hours last night wondering! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdanorth
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 02:50:50 PM »

Putting stitches on waste yarn terrified me until I learned this tip - use a yarn needle to thread the waste yarn through the stitches you're putting aside BEFORE you take them off the needle. I know it's a big DUH for most people, but I was doing it the hard way! And use a fat enough yarn or multiple strands, to approximate your needle size if you can. It makes returning them to the needle a lot easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewelry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Hair Rods
How to Untangle Matted Hair
How to Do School Girl Hairstyles
How to Use Almond Oil for Healthy Hair
How to Do a Curly Half Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...