A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: raise my mattress?  (Read 4913 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisissunshine
« on: January 03, 2010 08:49:29 PM »

Hi,  I'm not really sure where this goes!! But long story short the blow up air mattress I was sleeping on was just replaced by a real mattress but now I'd like to raise it off the ground... anyone have any ideas or input considering I don't have a frame for this thing!! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010 12:51:24 PM »

You could build a big box out of plywood to raise it. It could be hidden and give the illusion that your mattress is floating by making it 6" or so smaller all the way around. Really you'd just need the sides and the top (I think), as long as you don't have hardwood underneath. Or maybe do the samething but with milk crates, but be sure to ziptie them together so you don't end up with runaway crates! I would ask a grocery store, or 7-11 or even like Tim Horton's (I know they always have tons outside their loading doors) for some

On second thought, you might want to make the space less than 6"....take into account if you sit on the edge, you wouldn't want to fall off!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010 02:19:52 AM »

I've made loft beds out of 2x4s and plywood. For floors it is recomended that there be joists every 16" so I used that as a guide line for my frames for the mattresses. You can either have the matress fit inside a frame with the "joists" under for support and the plywood cut to fit inside or place the mattress on top of a plywood platform and incorporate the "joists" in the frame. I think the second way is probably best since it seems to keep everything a little more tidy and the 2x4s are easier to screw in vertically. The basic platform could be lifted off the floor by sections of 4x4s at any preffered hieght. If you go real high you will either need to get / make stairs or a ladder. Ikea has a nice set of steps that are also shelves. When climbing out of the loft at night with bleary eyes I preffer to step onto the stairs instead of the ladder. It feels better on the feet. you may choose to just raise your bed a just a little so those recomendations are just fluff.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MagicalGirl
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010 12:07:16 PM »

You can make a cheap easy loft bed by putting your mattress on a plywood board, and then putting the plyboard on bookshelves (try IKEA) facing in. Then you have a "nook" underneath, and storage. Plus, you can pick shelves in pretty much whatever height you want. Alternatively, put shelves facing out all around the edge, and have a sort of captain bed but with shelves instead of drawers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
MegPrice
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010 12:50:35 PM »

I came across this link and thought it was a really cool way to raise your mattress and make additional storage space. I'm thinking of doing something similar. We have a little pet bunny who has a thing for chewing holes in the comforter. He usually hangs out by the foot of the bed and waits for the comforter to hang down. 

Here is the link:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/look/look-diy-platform-bed-with-storage-050269

THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoeless sailor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010 03:37:51 PM »

I second the bookshelves, that's whats holding my bed up. I have the shelves facing outwards and the plywood is in two pieces so its more maneuverable. I've had this setup for something like ten years and it's held up really well. Plus, if at some point you change mattress size you only have to get wider plywood; its super convenient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Recipes: What To Do With All Those Thanksgiving Leftovers
Leftover Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Inspired Leftover Ideas
Easy And Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes
How to Make a Thanksgiving Feast for Under $50
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...