A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Robot Quilt  (Read 5849 times)
Tags for this thread: robot , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahdipity
« on: January 03, 2010 07:41:28 PM »

After about 4 month of effort I managed to finish the quilt for my fiance in time for Christmas.  I was happy to have it done, especially since it is my first fully complete quilt.  All that sneaking around was tiring.

Here's the end result:  If you want the long story of the ups and downs of this quilt read on after the first two pictures!

I started with these fabrics:

Then I cut loads of squares:

I did a lot of searching for a neat simple quilt pattern.  I ended up using a revised nine-patch quilt style that I discovered on etsy (not my store). http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28165923

I'd been hoping to do some robot applique.  However, at the end of October my sewing machine broke.  I tried my hand at some hand applique but it really didn't work.  

So I scratched my plan for applique and just did the repeated blocks.  

I got my quilt fixed and put the whole thing together.  Then realized my sewing machine is so old I'm not sure I can find a walking foot.  I have a Singer 734 which is older than I am.  So I decided I'd just tie the quilt instead.  I used extra fabric that was intended for the applique robots to make a colorful back.  My mom came into town and she helped me tie the quilt and make the binding and sew it on.  We stayed up until 3am the night before we had to go wedding dress shopping.  I was exhausted!

The end result was a very happy guy!

More pictures, and larger versions of these can be found on my Flickr page in the crafts section: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48969942@N00/sets/72157623070375010/

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010 08:40:58 PM by sarahdipity » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamaphunk
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010 07:48:38 PM »

So cute! I love the fabrics that you chose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will be out of town June 11-20 with limited computer access. (Be patient with me, I'm on the beach!)
Hadassah
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 08:16:10 PM »

What a sweet gift! I just got into quilting so I have a better appreciation of the hard work that goes into it. I'll bet he loves snuggling up in it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010 08:42:19 PM »

Love, love, *love* the quilt. That last picture is *priceless*!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010 08:52:59 PM »

NICE job on the quilt -- well done! And because I was so impressed with your excellent pattern and color and tasteful science-y fabric selection, I was scrutinizing your pictures extra-close . . .

AND . . .

Heeheeheeeeee!
I knew it was only a matter of time before I recognized someone's picture on Craftster.
I was like -- wait! That's ANDY!

Andy and I were in the same playgroup/babysitting co-op as kids. Our moms are still in the same "playgroup." So, it's because of YOU that there was no Lisa's Christmas Eve tea this year! My sister was very disappointed. Wink (Have I met you? Now I can't remember. Doh! If not, I'm sure I will at some point.)

But, congratulations (on being fianced and all) and what a crazy coincidence! That is wild. And again, excellent quilting.
(Hi Andy!)

Go craftster.
--Mandy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
jeffsweetie

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010 02:04:54 AM »

I love how this turned out! The fabrics are great and I like that it is tied- it has a very vintage feel I think. Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010 05:17:26 AM »

Congratulations all around - on the wedding dress shopping, the upcoming nuptials and the quilt!  Very cool indeed!  I can see why he liked it so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
penguinade
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010 07:40:34 AM »

I've been looking at buying all the robot fabrics you used for about a year now, but couldn't figure out a way to use them efficiently (they're a little pricey for my grad student budget).  You picked a great pattern for showing off the fabrics, and I really like the final product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
scifimama
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010 08:38:25 AM »

Love this quilt! I had my eye on that robot fabric, but couldn't think of what to do with it.  This is great, and the colors are beautiful.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdipity
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010 10:49:03 AM »

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

I actually bought the blue and tan backed japanese fabric with no idea what I was going to do with it.  Then I had to come up with an idea to top previous Christmas presents and inspiration struck.

I think he'd like snuggling with it.  But so far, he says it is just too nice and has left it folded on display.  I'm sure he'll use it eventually.

Mandy, your post cracked Andy and I up.  I don't think we've met yet.  The only "event" I've attended at Lisa's is Easter and that was mostly family.  You're right about Christmas, they were out visiting us in Boston.  I'm sure we'll run into each other sometime soon!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prune and Date Flapjack Recipe
How to Make Spanish French Toast
How to Make Homemade Ice Cream Using a Plastic Bag
Create the Ultimate Ice Cream Sundae Bar
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...