A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I make this dress less ugly?  (Read 1020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coon
« on: January 03, 2010 03:42:18 PM »

Let's face it. It's a trainwreck. I bought it at Macys years ago and it's just overall NOT flattering. I really want to fix it though...
any suggestions on how to reconstruct this dress into something a little more becoming?

PS excuse the mean looking face and adorable little brother haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supersnix.livejournal.com
gamemom42
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010 05:11:45 PM »

Maybe it looks much different in person, but I don't see a train-wreck at all.  Actually; I think you look very nice in that dress.  I know you want suggestions to change it; and I don't have any, but I wanted to pass my opinion along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 09:02:51 PM »

Hmmm . . . it is kind of saggy-boob-tastic, isn't it? Smiley All that extra ruching is exactly in places where people don't want or need it. Nice going, dress designers.

Here are my first suggestions:

1. I can't tell how long it is, but it looks like it's below the knee -- maybe cut to right at the knee or right above? Anything between knee and ankle is kind of an awkward (aging) length.

2. Could you tie it so the straps cross across your chest and *then* go behind your neck? The line as-is looks nice with your shoulders, but crossing the straps might pull in some of the extra fabric at the sides.

3. Could you add some straps so that the center of the v-neck is also connected to around-the-neck? (again with the pulling everything up.)

4. You could try, if you were looking for some drastic reconstruction, cutting/removing all the ruching on the waist etc (if you can -- might be tricky, depending on how it's built) to see what it's like without all those tucks -- then you could take it in and up and etc. to really make it fit your body.

Again, I think the neckline really looks nice on you -- BUT, what is with the waist-ruching, dress designers?

Hope that was helpful! Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
TPauSilver
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010 06:27:33 AM »

I'd be tempted to do what mandanak suggested and just cut out all the ruching. I think what i'd do is straighten of the line at the bottom of the breasts a little so you have less fabric and it looks less like horrible sag, though still leave some curve, and attach a waist piece in a solid colour to help define the bottom of the bust, then straight at the bottom and attach the skirt to that. Maybe have this two inches wide at the thinnest part at the most, and pull the skirt up a little more before attaching it so it cuts of just above your knee. I'd think the only other thing to do would be to play aruond with the straps and see if you can get it to hand better. I'd get the straps on the bodice right before I started cutting things of then you're sure the line you cut looks right with the new straps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010 10:36:55 AM »

I say get rid of that central ruching and give shape to the bust with some pleating or small darts, a few on each side of the front piece.  Very possibly a bust dart on the sides would help it look better.  The general idea of the dress is pretty, and the colour is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010 11:10:32 AM »

The straps.  I see them and they feel 'wrong', too small for what's going on with the rest of the dress. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010 08:37:15 PM »

My thoughts:

Shorten it. If we can see your knees, the ruching will have less effect on making you look shorter. Bad ruching, bad! Go sit in the corner.

Get rid of those horrendous straps! I'd suggest turning it into a key-hole halter-neck dress. Take a piece you cut off from shortening it to make a neck band. Take your neck measurement and get two pieces that are that long plus an inch for seam allowances by about 2 inches wide (one inch for the band, one inch for the seams). Sew the two strips to eachother on a long edge, leaving a gap at the middle that is about a half inch wide. Cut the straps off and put the above-the-boob points through that gap so that they go from the good side of the fabric and poke out the back side. Stitch the gap shut with the points in there. Flip the fabric right side out and fold the half inch seam allowance of the other edges inwards and pin, including the short edges. Now topstitch around all four edges at a quarter inch from the edge. Put two buttons on one short edge and two button loops on the the other short edge, eh voila.

Also, if you decide you like my idea and want to go for it, consider getting a bustier or corset to keep your boobs upwards in a strapless way.

Or you could just say EFF THIS and cut the thing up for fabric, because it's a REALLY great colour on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heatherweather33
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010 08:51:15 PM »

I agree with everyone else... definitely shorten it!

You could apply embellishments from the neckline into the straps... Maybe a combination of:

&

I think that could be really cute!
You could do it crocheted, or a smocked piece in a contrasting fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE MORE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 4/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 7/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 1/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 5/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 2/7
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...