A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home Grown Flea Market Fancy Sanibel Bag - with 'Lite' Instructions  (Read 41327 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , featured_project , blue , leaf , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2010 10:02:18 AM »

Amy Butler's Sanibel bag is amazing. I love love love it, but couldn't justify the retail price -- $192! I used the pictures and dimensions I found online and Mini Laura's flickr tour to draft my own pattern. This was the perfect reason to make the difficult first cut into some Denyse Schmidt fabric I've been hoarding.

I modified the original dimensions (21" wide by 11" tall by 8" deep) to suit my preference -- this bag ended up 16.5" wide, 9" tall, and 6" deep. I also varied the pocket placement and depth somewhat to suit my needs.

Here's a shot of the back. Like the front, it has three pockets lined with lining fabric.

This is a neat feature that I wouldn't have known about had I not watched MiniLaura's Sanibel tour video: needle pockets concealed behind one of the regular back pockets. They're also great for scissors, crochet hooks, etc.

The sides have a neat snap feature, allowing the bag to be expanded and closed as needed. I think the original used magnetic snaps, but all I had lying around were regular ones. They do the job just fine.

Now for the inside. One the front lining, I made one big pocket on the inside like the original purse, but I used two snaps at the top to keep it from flopping open. It's a great size for patterns, etc.

You can also see the removable bottom insert panel used to keep the lining neat. It's basically a fabric envelope with a few pieces of heavy duty stabilizer inside to help keep the bag's shape.

You can also see the tab closure - just a magnetic snap from JoAnn's. I splurged and got one (they're $5 or something), because based on how often it will be open and closed, it's necessary.

On the back lining, I made a small zippered pocket (my first!), two gusseted pockets (for my cell and wallet, respectively), and three regular pockets.

And there you have it! A few hours of number crunching and a few days of intermittent sewing later, I have a new favorite handbag.

My approx. cost was $12, thanks to an amazing sale at Fabric.com a few months ago. I picked up the fabric (retail $12.99/yd) for an astonishing $2.99/yd. I used a little under a yard of each. Add in the different interfacings that I had on hand, and the magnetic snap closure, and this was still a very inexpensive project.

If you want to make your own, it's really not too hard. The purse is essentially a set of rectangles. Here are the cutting dimensions I used.

Front/back and front/back lining: 17 1/2" x 10" (cut 2 of outside, cut 2 of lining)
Sides and lining sides: 7" x 10" (cut 2 of outside, cut 2 of lining)
Front/back outside pockets: 17 1/2" x 7" (cut 2 of outside, cut 2 of lining)
Side pockets: 7" x 7" (cut 2 of outside, cut 2 of lining)
Handles: 6" x 36" (cut 2 of outside) Folded in half twice, then topstitched.
Needle pocket: 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" (cut 1 of outside, cut 1 of lining)
Bottom insert: 7" x 17 1/2" (cut 2 of lining)
Tab closure: Don't have measurements... wing it! Final dimensions around 3" x 3"
The internal pockets were done by the seat of my pants, so come up with what works for you.

1/2" seams all around. For the outside panels, cut fusible fleece panels to dimensions 1/2" less all around than the fabric pieces. Fuse, centering with 1/2" all around. Then cut a piece of fusible interfacing the same dimensions as the fabric, and fuse on top of the fleece. Use your iron to sandwich the fleece between the fabric and the interfacing. This is very important -- it gives strength to the bag but doesn't make the layers too thick to sew through.

Have fun! Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to answer.

EDIT: See this bag in different fabrics near the bottom of page 6! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011 03:19:23 AM by dellastella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010 10:12:58 AM »

Very nicely done. It's lovely. Thanks for the nice explanation too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
jeffsweetie

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 10:14:50 AM »

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love all the little details you added to the purse, and the fabrics!!! Ive been dying to try making purses- I love them, but I'm too scared Ill mess it up. You did such a great job... I'm even tempted to try it myself. But I'm still a beginner on my sewing machine.. so maybe after I get more practice in! This Rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pasghetti
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010 10:19:18 AM »

Love it!!  This gives me the opportunity to make my own dreaded "first cut" into a fabric I've been saving for the perfect project Wink  Thanks for the inspiration.   This ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010 10:20:53 AM »

I love it!  I may just have to make myself one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010 10:23:14 AM »

:oThis definately ROCKS!!!! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010 11:02:38 AM »

Great work on all the details.  Way to not get lazy .... the way I might.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
maguro
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010 11:10:04 AM »

this is an absolutely gorgeous bag! i especially love the detail of the snaps on the end to fold the sides in. thanks so much for posting the dimensions, i think i'm going to work on something like this for a laptop bag.

are the straps long enough to wear over your shoulder? The video tute makes them look more like handles but i'd like to be able to wear it as a handbag.

also, you mentioned the magnetic snap cost - check out etsy where you can get them in bulk for about 50 cents apiece.

again, GREAT job and thanks for sharing, i can't wait to make one!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 11:17:55 AM by maguro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010 11:54:03 AM »

@maguro: Yes, the straps are long enough to put over your shoulder, though the bag is snug against my underarm. If you want a low-hanging bag, just add on a few inches. If i make this bag again, I probably will elect to do just that.

Thanks so much for the tip about magnetic snaps! I would never have thought to look for them on Etsy. I will definitely check it out!

Good luck with your laptop bag! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010 12:06:27 PM »

its amazing! wisting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dear Know It All Book Trailer
Jeffrey Deever Talks About How He Became an Author
Jeffrey Deever Talks About New Book XO
How to Maintain Your Diet During the Summer
Chuck Thompson on College Football in the South
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...