A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buttons  (Read 92446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004 11:25:54 AM »

Ooh, I like the purse idea!  You could make just a little coin pouch, if you didn't have enough buttons for a larger bag; and if you could find thin enough ones, I though a tank top made of button fabric would be adorable!  You could make the shell, then stitch the buttons around the top of a pre-fab camisole with a shelf bra.  But that would only work if they weren't too heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004 11:55:50 AM »

Who said they had to be identical?  Of course, it would look keen if they were identical, but realistically, they could be different colors of the same size and style.  I highly recommend the discounted button bin at Hancocks.  The cards are 4 for $1, and you can frequently find 10-15 cards of all the same button, but in different colors.  Usualy they are the small shirt buttons that come 4-6 to a card.  You could really do something fun with them, I bet.  

I think someone needs to make a button bikini.   Grin

I'm interested in how they are sewn together, though.  I'm trying to picture the different possibilities in my head, and none of them seem very stable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2004 02:48:11 PM »

I have a ton of pins too, so I decorated one of my boring purses. It looks awesome. Or else you could make a belt out of them...just get a ong strip of fabric and pin them on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
schadenfreude
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2004 06:52:26 AM »

True, if there were fabric underneath, they wouldn't have to be identical in size.  And of course they wouldn't have to be the same color either way. But the one I saw used the buttons as the actual "fabric" - they were stitched to each other side by side and made kind of a plastic mesh.

I notice that lots of 100+ buttons regularly come up on ebay... I wonder if I'd have the patience to sew a whole purse.  I like the bikini idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpaceCraft
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2004 11:05:27 AM »

I can't take credit for this because I saw this in a magazine... get some ballet shoes and draw a swirly-type design on with a pencil. You can then attach the buttons any way you like (I didn't sew them because I have sewaphobia!!! lol) and they look really cute! I wear them around my house but I guess you could wear them out  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Libra Angel
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004 10:53:09 AM »

Well as already mentioned buttons have so many awesome purposes. Anyway I just wanted to say that I've used buttons for clothing mainly. Like when I had some black pants that I thought needed some spurcing up..I sewed some small white buttons going down near the bottom side of the pants, and wore it with a regular white button down shirt.

Lastly...I must say this...I LOVE this site:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Libra Angel
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004 11:59:34 AM »

Sheesh..I forgot, one can also use buttons to make a picture frame look really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpielMitMir
Scary Mary

Where is my mind?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2004 02:39:46 AM »

I sewed an assortment of buttons down the side of a plain white sleeveless top and it looks wild!!!
You could also sew some onto a plain coloured bag, or any other clothing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our God is vengeful! O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!!!"
Tatty Divine

Raindrops keep falling on my head..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2004 12:04:29 PM »

at a craft fair the other week a girl was selling some shoes she'd customised by sewing a  swirl of identical buttons around the shoe! Something I want to try out for myself  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamajudy
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2004 06:16:41 PM »

Grin  Hi there! A suggestion for your post.  My sister uses old buttons to make pictures, for example she had a cross stitch kit of a bride and groom and she used pearly buttons for the dress and veil instead of cross stitching it.  It looks gorgeous and all her friends just loved it.  She did another one with flowers and used all different colors of my granny's buttons for the petals and leaves.  She made some button earrings for me and a bracelet that was adorable with safety pins and the buttons.  Good luck with your projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jamie Lynn Spears Inspired Makeup and Hair Tutorial
How to Make Headband
Smokey Eye Cat Makeup and Hair Tutorial
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...