A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buttons  (Read 95171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsmartinitime
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004 07:06:25 AM »

Oh, I love buttons too! I recently aquired a HUUGE tin of buttons of my mum, I remember when I was a kid being obsessed with this box, I used to play with them for hours, sorting them into colours and making patterns.

What I really love to do with smallish, brightly coloured earrings, Is make earrings. I do have pictures, but my computer is playing up, so I'll post later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mauditze
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004 08:56:07 AM »

faux satin purse from prom of yore and then cover it in buttons, perhaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopeevey
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004 09:26:26 AM »

Hopeevey:  There was  a tutorial for that one too ... so I added it to my previous post. Smiley

>>happydance of button bracelet joy!!<<

I think I already have the lucite rings Smiley  Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004 06:39:48 PM »

i sewed a load onto a t-shirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.feels.blind.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2004 07:34:55 PM »

my friend started to cover and entire table top wit buttons, but after a while she got bored, more than half was covered and it was in a cool curvy shape so she left if half finished wit just enough room to put her lamp on the uncovered surface.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

revolution gets me hot.
craft-matic
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2004 07:21:10 PM »

I haven't done it yet, but fully intend to cover the straps of some strappy flip-flops with buttons, all in a row in pretty colors.  I'm also working on sewing button flowers around the hem of a tee-shirt; just sew the button on, and embroider a stem (and leaf if you desire) to it.  I've also started a vintage-style apron in white cotton with red buttons sewn around the hem, with brown stems and a leaf to look like little cheery cherries.  One could decorate the hem of a skirt or pair of jeans in the same way.  I also saw a really pretty shirt that had little buttons and pretty meandering embroidery connecting them to one another all over--but that's a lot of work.  Sorry I don't have any picutres--but I am still living in the 35mm dark ages.  Not even a camera on my oh-so-obsolete-I can't-believe-you're-still-using-last-year's-model cell phone!  Sad  But I have full trust in all of yoru imaginations...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
nutmegh
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004 07:04:01 AM »

i have an antique cookie tin FULL of buttons my grandmother had been collecting.  as a child i would spend afternoons just sorting through them, running my hands through the tin, scooping of handfuls and inspecting each one.  i even have a few buttons from some of the the first girlscout uniforms!!

my idea (if someone hasn't mentioned this), is to find an old sweater or cardigan that needs a new look and replace all the buttons with fun and funky mismatched ones.  i've seen cardigans like this at urban outfitters on sale for $60 and the only thing special about the sweaters is the mismatched buttons!

OR if you knit, make a cardigan and sew on funky buttons.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geeky_cupcake
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004 08:07:40 PM »

You know you could make earrings out of those buttons if you wanted to, or maybe spice up an old t-shirt with some buttons to make it look both creative and new.  There are so many things you could make with buttons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schadenfreude
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2004 07:41:19 AM »

I saw a purse made of buttons for sale and I really want to do, but it would need hundreds of identical buttons.  

Basically the buttons (small plain orange ones) were laid side by side in rows, edges touching each other to make a grid.  Then they were sewn together, each button to the 4 surrounding it, and each of those 4 to the ones around them, and so on, to make a stiff "fabric" out of buttons.  It was very excellent.

Now I just need to find 500 identical buttons for less than the price of the purse itself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2004 08:04:57 AM »

I've made note cards from them. Draw a flowerpot on the front of a blank card with some stems. Sew the buttons on as flower heads.  
I also store them in mason jars out in the open when I 'm not using them. You could then convert the mason jar into a lamp  filling the inside with cardboard or something so you don't waste them, then glue some extra ones on the shade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Interactive Design Experiences
What Role Does Objectivity Play in Experience Design
Enjoying The Challenges of Working in Design Research
How Research Experience Informs Design Career
How SCAD Alumna Finds First Job and Builds Design Career
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...