A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,337
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leaving home, need help!  (Read 1590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yossarian
« on: January 02, 2010 09:28:29 PM »

In less than two weeks I will be moving out of home, and would love some help with meal ideas.

I am used to cooking for myself a lot, since I am the only veg in my family. occasionally my sister and parents will eat with me.

I have a few meals planned already.
Couscous with fried tomatoes and baby spinch, which is easy to cook up one serve.
Pasta with tinned tomato and fresh vege sauce. Which will leave me with enough leftovers to take to school the next day.
Baked beans with poached egg on toast. Or baked beans on a baked potato with cheese.

I also have an awesome tofu satay recipe, but I will either have to get my flatmates to eat it with me (I will be the only veg in my flat) or think up ideas to do with the rest of the tofu, 'cause I only eat about a third of a block at a time.

I love cooking, so I don't mind spending half an hour or an hour in the kitchen preparing my meal.

What I am looking for are meals that are somewhat cheap are are easy to prepare for one. I don't mind taking leftovers to school the next day, but I get bored eating the same thing all the time.
I would also like sort of meal plans. Like, if you suggest something that uses one ingredient please reccomend a few more meals I could make using the same thing. I love beans (especailly chickpeas), but can only eat about half a tin at a time, and don't want to waste food. Tofu, like I said I would eat about a third of a block. And vegetables, I would like a few ideas that use the same vegetables.
I don't like the idea of fake meat, or prepacked meals, I like to eat as much fresh and healthy food I can.
Also, I probably wont have a freezer when I first move in!! So I can't freeze food!

Would also like lunch, breakfast and snack ideas.
I will be taking a packed lunch to school each day. We have a bit of a kitchen so I can reheat food. Some lunch food ideas I have are:
Carrot sticks.
Popcorn.
Muesli bars.
Dried apricots.
Nuts.
Fresh fruit.
Pita bread with hummus.
Rice crackers.

But would love more ideas, so I don't get bored of the same things all the time.

As for breakfast, I don't have a huge appetite in the mornings. I can't sit down and eat a bowl of cereal or toast. Sometimes I can do a bowl of yogurt. I will be biking to school most mornings, so would like some ideas for food I could eat one handed!

And snacks, just food I could keep in the cupboard for when I get hungry during the evening and weekends.

Aaaaand one more thing!!!

I will be doing a big shop with my mum when I move into the flat, so would appreciate some starting off foods so fill my cupboards!

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Sorry this is so long!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yossarian
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010 09:52:59 PM »

Oh! And I'm vegetarian, not vegan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 10:46:42 PM »

for your starting off shopping, i would definitely get brown and white rice, noodles, and all sorts of spices. also canned tomatoes and spinach. if you have these staples, you can make meals with almost anything.

if you were to get small flour torillas, you could wrap up a scambled egg with some hot sauce and cheese. then use the same tortillas and cheese with some beans and veggies for tacos/burritos for dinner.
  if you were to save some veggies from that you could incorporate them into an italian style pasta with tomatoes, oregano, basil, and black olives with noodles, and if you still have veggies left over, you can use soy sauce and ginger(i like the powder) and the left over veggies with rice for an asain flare.
  i'm kind of rambling here, but most foods use a lot of the same ingredients with just a little difference in seasoning and preparation.  if you have youtube available to you, i strongly recommend looking as an example "greek food"  there is a wealth of cooking knowledge on there, and i have been immersing myself in it heavily!
 i hope that helped. if that was all common sense to you and you wanted specific recipes, just say so, and i'll do my best
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
yossarian
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010 03:43:33 AM »

No, they are great ideas thank you. I never even thought of burritos!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010 12:10:59 PM »

Don't forget the lentils! Dried lentils stay good for ages and they're quick to cook. Both green and red lentils are great for soups, stews and sauces and green lentils are good for salads too.

If you use half a tin chick peas for some food, use the rest to make hummus. Or some hummus like spread if you have other beans. Beans can be used to make burger patties too.

You can make Tofu ricotta from your leftover tofu and use it as sandwich filling for next day's lunch.

Some lunch ideas in Vegan Lunch Box.

I'm also seeing a chance to advertise my own food blog here. It's mostly regular everyday food we eat, with some fancier recipes. There's always two of us eating and we usually have leftovers, so if you cook just for yourself, you may need to half the recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010 06:03:52 AM »

Hello

This sounds a bit similiar to when i went to uni... try to avoid tomato ketchup on toast, which is what I lived on for a while!!!!

Making a big bowl of cous cous salad (tabouleh type dish), or pasta salad, quite filling, healthy & will last in the fridge for a few days.  Tins of tomatos are really useful as you can use them to make sauce for pasta (add chopped onion, herbs & what ever veggies you have about), can make a curry sauce (add beans or lentils), soup etc...  Jacket potatoes with topping of your choice are usually a cheap, filling meal.

As for snacks, you  have some great ideas.  Once you have settled into school, you might find a fruit & veg market near by that will prob have some bargain prices, also look out for an asian supermarket nearby for cheap tofu, lentils, beans etc...

Good luck & enjoy!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
The Moose

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010 09:24:22 PM »

When I moved into my own place, the best decision I made was getting the Joy of Cooking (it's not strictly veggie, but it's a good resource; also try the Veganomicon or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian). This kind of encyclopedic cookbook offers countless recipes for specific ingredients, which makes it easy to use leftover veggies and whatnot, plus it's a great resource for cooking tips and techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

★ Vegan Quaker Queer ★

My Etsy | Art Blog
JulieOZ
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010 01:28:48 PM »

~an apple cut in slices with a smear of peanut butter & some rasins would be a great snack or lunch.
~soy milk or rice milk & cereal for breakfast, snack or lunch
~chick peas, chopped green & or black oilves with italian dessing, or even add rice to make it a meal.
~shredded zuccini (very cheap right now) great in salads or taco or burrito fillings. Also great in scrambbled eggs or freid rice.  same goe4s for corn, esp if you have a way to grill it... grill several ears & freeze, after you cut it off the cob, if you now have a freezer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Succeed on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader
How to Succeed on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
How to Play Flip Cup
How to Play Speed Quarters
How to Play Quarters
Latest Blog Articles
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...