A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun and Handcrafts swap round 4! sign up CLOSED!! send out 3-3-10  (Read 17650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2010 06:35:33 AM »

lol don't make me come up there to wrestle you for it, nesse!  Smiley  but if you are considering to keep it for yourself as a "practice" skein, it must really be beautiful!  i can't wait to see it, or the next - even better - skein!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2010 08:07:50 AM »

I found the perfect yarn yesterday, its so awesome that I'm going to buy some for myself and I got it 40% off. I also restarted the large with the new awesome yarn but I don't have time to work on it today because I get to have fun painting and cleaning my moms new place, YAY Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
SciFunk
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2010 10:31:06 AM »

Sooo much spinning. My day yesterday was something like homework--spin--spin--homework--spin--study--spin--spin--spin, wash, rinse, repeat. I figure I'll have a lot of finished skeins to choose from, so I'll be able to pick the perfect one for my partner. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2010 02:45:18 PM »

lol don't make me come up there to wrestle you for it, nesse!  Smiley  but if you are considering to keep it for yourself as a "practice" skein, it must really be beautiful!  i can't wait to see it, or the next - even better - skein!  Wink

lol! we could totally meet halfway (Monroe, NY ish) to exchange our swap goodies. it would only be a half hour drive! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2010 02:10:04 PM »

I'm so happy I have to share!! I signed up for a 12 week (1 day/week) course in intermediate spinning!  I'm looking forward to expanding my repitoire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
SciFunk
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2010 05:50:43 PM »

I'm so happy I have to share!! I signed up for a 12 week (1 day/week) course in intermediate spinning!  I'm looking forward to expanding my repitoire!

Sooo jealous. I want to take a spinning class!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2K
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2010 06:23:13 PM »

I am jealous, too!  I want to take some lessons or something so I can learn the tricks from someone who knows what they are doing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

papa justify

Will swap for panda art supplies or fabric!

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2010 07:14:08 PM »

Had the worst day in a loooooooong time but I'm going to try to take some reading breaks and work on my large. I've had to pull out rows a million times because I've changed patterns twice. Arg on today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2010 08:56:48 PM »

I'm so happy I have to share!! I signed up for a 12 week (1 day/week) course in intermediate spinning!  I'm looking forward to expanding my repitoire!

What do they offer in the intermediate spinning class??

I haven't taken a class in nmy life and am getting ready to propose teaching a beginners / intermediate / advanced/ spinning classes at the local Community College .....

Quote from: A2K
want to take some lessons or something so I can learn the tricks from someone who knows what they are doing![/quote}

A2K,
I started spindling 13 years ago ... just off and on. Didn't start spinning with a wheel until 2002.  Totally self-taught.  I've found out in the end, you are going to approach the wheel and spin the way you are comfortable ... there is no one right or wrong way to do it.

Big thing with spinning is getting your bobbin tension (bobbin take-in speed) coordinated with the amount of twist you're putting on the fiber & co-ordinating that with how fast you're treadling.

Recommendations:  Learn various drafting techniques.  Short-forward draw, Short-backward draw, supported long draw, long draw and plenty in-between-.

Kind of like knitting, but more free-form.  You don't have to worry about getting your tension just right ... unless you want to!!!  Treasure those thick & thin / over/under twisted yarns of the first few months.... after a year, you'll have to concentrate when you want to make them.

Enjoy the Zen of spinning, the colors and texture going through your fingers making a beautiful finished product .... that is the beginning of yet another beautiful finished product!!! 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010 09:05:48 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2010 09:14:40 PM »

Here's the info on the class ..

Spin U is a series for intermediate and advanced spinners who own one or more wheels.  It will use "Alden Amos' Big Book of Handspinning" and Judith McKenzie McCuin's "The Intentional Spinner" as the text books.  It will start with wheel maintenance and move to spinning techniques, fiber analysis, and fiber preparation among other things.

I talked to someone at the store today and it sounds like they'll be going through these books in detail and with teachers who can explain and demo!

Ahh .. now I have to wait until June to start ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a 90s Scrunchie
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Try a Twisted Half-Up Hairstyle for Homecoming
Try This Quick and Easy Braided Style for School
How to Create a Milkmaid Halo Plait Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...