A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EE's secret toadstool gingerbread house with snails!  (Read 11331 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom , gingerbread_house  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010 06:03:41 AM »

Oooooh I loooove this, looks like you put soooo much work into it and it also looks really tasty Wink  I haven't seen any of the other challenge entries yet (though I'm off to have a look now) but I'm certain yours will be one of my faves!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LostInOz
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010 08:13:26 AM »

Gorgeous! I love the little snails, and the second storey toadstool Smiley And a first time gingerbread house-- awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AdrianM
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010 08:48:42 AM »

What a brilliantly mad and delicious way to think outside the box!  Never considered that there are all types of houses among the creatures of this planet.  What a plethera of possibilities you've tapped into.  Too cute.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefett
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010 12:13:17 PM »

Looks great! The perfect smurf house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010 05:16:14 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing!  The only way to make it better would be to add a little gingerbread Smurf. Cheesy  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010 07:51:57 PM »

OMG Smurfs! That would have been smurf-tacular Cheesy

Thanks LostinOz, I love the snails too, I was wondering what happens around fairy houses when fairies are away and I figured those dastardly snails probably get up to no good, hehehe.

And thank too AdrianM, I have never been a cookie-cutter person (lolz, that's punny) and if I ever get the chance to design my own house it will be totally unique, though probably bigger than a toadstool purely so my stuff fits in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
MrsStash
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010 02:41:25 AM »

Very cute idea and very well executed!~  Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010 03:02:21 PM »

Building rounded or curved gingerbread is not easy so this is very impressive for a first project in this medium.  One thing I notice about your piece is that you allowed some gingerbread to be exposed on the gills of the mushrooms... This is something I learned the hard way on my first gingerbread house.  The more places where you can allow the gingerbread to be featured the more people seem to like the pieces.  Very nice work!

Here is an example of gingerbread doing a peek-a-boo as the window frame of my UP House:

Below is an example of my favorite piece from our local gingerbread show and auction that was somewhat overlooked by the judges.  The Space Shuttle was mainly constructed from gingerbread (curved gingerbread) by Christopher Julian.  I felt it should have won an award but I think the judges didn't realize it was gingerbread!

So my words of wisdom for you are make sure you keep strategically exposing your gingerbread on your pieces and you will be 1st place gingerbread maker in no time!

You can see more photos of the Gingerbread Space Shuttle and Gingerbread UP House at these links.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 03:08:41 PM by LawrenceKSRealEstate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010 03:16:51 PM »

Thank you so much LawrenceKSRealEstate, your images are very inspiring and your words of wisdom helpful. I too, though I should prove that it really is gingerbread under there (as best you can in photos) since I know alot of traditional houses have exposed gingerbread walls.

Honestly, I think the curved gingerbread was probably easier for me than a slab house. I enjoy sculpting and my brain computes that a little easier i guess. Once you work through the structural integrity issues of a hollow dome being supported by a flat sheet and an empty house frame, the rest is pie Cheesy

Thank you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
LawrenceKSRealEstate
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010 06:29:39 PM »

The hardest part(s) I have had with bent or formed gingerbread is finding the right recipe to use, how thick to make it, how to keep it centered on your form and finding a form that is 'oven proof' that matches the shape you need.... just a few (yet major) problems.

My recipe tends to 'melt' like a toll-house cookie when baked so I end up with the bread sliding down the sides of the form (think 1/2 cylinder with dough laying over the top) and I end up with 2 lumps of gingerbread laying on both sides of the form, instead of a nice 1/2 cylinder at the end of the 12 minute bake cycle....

Forming gingerbread is not something I have mastered yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
How to Do the Graffiti Letter H
How to Do the Graffiti Letter G
How to Do the Graffiti Letter L
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...