A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Lowes Houses  (Read 3540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yardenxanthe
« on: January 01, 2010 05:16:33 PM »

I'm sure I'm not really a contender, but I had a great time making gingerbread houses this year! This was the first time I'd ever made gingerbread from scratch (instead of using either a readymade house kit, or graham crackers). I mixed up the gingerbread with my preschoolers one day, and baked it another day (actually, my husband rolled it out and made the house templates and components, which was awesome because I was kind of intimidated to come up with a template, and also, it made the project more do-able to tag team it). We made two tiny houses with templates taken from the measurements of these little wooden houses we made with the boys at Lowes (the home improvement store) at their build & grow clinic.

Each boy got to decorate a house. But they're so small they pretty much just hung out with me while I did it and they ate candy. Heh. We used a bunch of candy we got in bulk from Winco (plus some other random stuff I had on hand).

I'm only posting a pic of the first house we did, in keeping with the "one entry" thing.

My 3 year-old starting the project out strong. He even put some icing on the house.

Here's the house after his contributions. He then ate candy for about thirty minutes (and he even got sick of that!) but it was fun to have him standing there while I covered every exposed inch of gingerbread with candy. Fun!

The walkway was made with candy rocks and lemonheads and cherryheads.

The roof was made with those old lady stripey hard candies (the kind that are always stuck together when they're left in a bowl... I think they had that scene in Coraline.) I love the licorice mix that I used for random parts of the house (the round pastel with black dot ones, and the 3-part striped squares). It tastes awesome - a barely black licorice flavor along with chocolate or coconut or orange (depending on the color). I love black licorice, but that stuff is good in a different way.

Oh yeah, that's a chimney and the white thing is Santa standing on the roof.

Here's the back of the house that took on a Halloweeny feel thanks to the leftover candy corn from halloween paired with the black licorice.

Here's my two year-old surveying the house. I made gingerbread boys with the leftover scraps of gingerbread (they looked very bumpy/bad, but the royal icing helped a bit!). You can see that the house was pretty small...about six inches tall.

Anyway, it was fun to make! Thanks for letting me share pics with you!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010 05:19:18 PM by yardenxanthe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Britness
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010 05:20:19 PM »

Aw looks like so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My List 50 project in 2010 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3979286#msg3979286

"Life is like a road trip, make sure to slow down to see the sights, stop to rest and stretch your legs, and don't forget to feed your soul!"
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010 05:35:51 PM »

I think that's great!  Way to go on doing from scratch!  I helped with my very first pre-baked store-bought kit this year, but after seeing some things around this holiday season, I MIGHT try and go all out next year.  Seeing your project definitely pushes me in that direction!  (And my daughter is 2.5, so next year she might be a TINY bit more help, but.... yeah, she'll probably just eat the candy again.  LMAO)

Kudos!  Great entry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 07:05:31 PM »

Yay for kiddie fun! Great work on doing it from scratch and for involving the littlies. Your son looks like he had a ball, I can't wait till my 2 year old is old enough to help instead of just filch candy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
twosteelhooks
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010 08:38:46 AM »

Very cute!  We used leftover Halloween candy on our gingerbread house this year, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsStash
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010 03:10:32 AM »

I love those candies you have on your roof!  MMM

This is a very nice job.  I like the candy pathway, too!  great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MagicalGirl
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010 07:15:44 AM »

That's really cute! Good job!
The old lady candies: are they sort of pillow shaped, and if so, where do you buy them? If they're what I think they are, they're the pillow candies from when I was tiny, and I'll be eternally grateful if you can point me to where I can buy some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
yardenxanthe
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010 02:03:40 PM »

That's really cute! Good job!
The old lady candies: are they sort of pillow shaped, and if so, where do you buy them? If they're what I think they are, they're the pillow candies from when I was tiny, and I'll be eternally grateful if you can point me to where I can buy some.

I got them in bulk from Winco (a local grocery store that has a big bulk section).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010 05:46:09 PM »

Just the right size for a project with kids. I wanted to do that with my girls this year, but didn't get around to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Working with the New Basics Panel
How to Draw Gemma Arterton from Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
How to Draw Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach
How to Draw Harry Potter
How to Draw Santa Claus from Rise of The Guardians
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...