A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your stash?  (Read 8960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2010 02:29:09 PM »

I love this. You can see what you have and no more hunting for that special piece.
Did you build your own shelves? What size are the cubes?

Thanks for sharing

My grandpa built them loosely basing them off the IKEA Expedit shelves. I wanted each cube to be 12" x 12" on the interiors but I think they ended up closer to 10" x 12" with a lip on the outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Just as I am
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2010 08:20:47 PM »

Thanks for the info. You are lucky to have such a talented grandpa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmyjo221
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011 07:53:22 AM »

Hi all.  This is my first time posting!  Anyway, I am somewhat new to sewing, and I haven't yet found a way to organize myself.  I have a small house and no dedicted sewing space.  Right now my sewing machine is tucked under my work desk and comes out in place of my laptop in the evenings!  I have all of my fabric sort of stuffed into a plastic storage bin.

I've been picking up on-sale fabric for awhile to make fall clothes for my kiddos, and it's starting to spill out of my storage bin.  I'd love to find a way to store it better and keep it neater, and more accessible.  Some of the fabrics that get to the bottom of my bin kind of get lost in the shuffle, and I forget to use them.

How do you all keep your fabric organized and stored?

Thanks!
Kimberly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011 07:16:22 PM »

Hey Kimberly!

This is where I got the tutorial for how I handle my fabric stash: http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/fabric-stash-organization-and-tutorial/

Here's how I set it up: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302108.msg3451411#msg3451411

But you could easily store it in plastic tubs the same fashion. I HTH. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeenBean
SappyMooseTree

Oh mah glob

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011 09:59:45 PM »

How do I organize my fabric stash? I DONT:

ha ha kidding. This was the great fabric sort of 2011 a month or so ago. I dont have a craft room so I organized everything in tubs according to the type of fabric and labeled the containers to stack nicely in my garage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandy
Maggiedoll
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011 05:26:47 AM »

ha ha kidding. This was the great fabric sort of 2011 a month or so ago. I dont have a craft room so I organized everything in tubs according to the type of fabric and labeled the containers to stack nicely in my garage!
ROFL, looks like the pooch enjoyed it, too!

I've actually started making plants to build some wooden chests for fabric storage.  Ultimately I'll use cedar because it keeps bugs away and all, so it should be good for wools, but I'm going to start with whitewood because it's cheaper and I don't really know what I"m doing so far as building yet.  I made a model in Google Sketchup.  I might procrastinate by making another model in Blender.  But Google Sketchup is generally better for stuff you plan on turning into something real.  But building virtual things I already have some clue about!   Grin
But anyway, my stash is.. uh.. kinda taking over..  and the parts that don't have "real" storage just aren't pretty.  I'm figuring with some wooden chests, I'll have fabric storage spots that can double as benches/tables/footrests and generally make everything look less cluttered.  'Cuz I have massive sewing clutter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011 12:05:38 PM »

skyyangel--your room is full of inspiration and ideas!

leighi123--duh, it never occurred to me to take pics of my fabric and make a folder on my computer! Great idea!

I have all of my fabrics nicely organized in plastic bins, with special containers for silks and wools, but using my memory to find what I want or not buying the same pieces again has been a problem...I think I will make a sheet of pictures for each bin and tape it on the outside and put it in a notebook...

I have been better about buying fabric for specific purposes and thanks to suggestions from you guys, I have had some fresh ideas of what to do with some weird fabrics!

I also need ideas for large pieces of fabrics...right now they are folded up as best I can in a laundry basket on top of a spare bed...Cheesy

Glad to see that a lot of people wrestle with this problem...love all the sharing and ideas!

Keep posting pics--they help a lot! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insanely Eye-Catching Nail Art You Can Pull Off in Just 3 Steps
How to Contour for Long, Lean Faces
Is Tinted Brow Gel Worth It?
How to Get Selena Gomez’s Red Carpet Look
Favorite Products For Treating Sun Damage and Dark Spots
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...