A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your stash?  (Read 8846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010 09:38:34 AM »

I'm currently undergoing a fabric stash overhaul and reorganization. It has gotten OUT OF CONTROL... I'm afraid my friends and fam might call A&E and stage an "Intervention"... well that or "Hoarders".... I'm seriously thinking about opening a thread just for my project: "organize the madness" .. 80)

Tthis pic is probably 1/3 of my complete stash, right now it's organized by color (mostly) but I do have several sections that are designated for "African Wax and prints", decorator weights and knits. I'm thinking I"m going to have to change it all around though.
IKEA Expedit Cabinet BIG version

This is another "smaller" part of the monster stash. I USED to have it neatly folded and stored in these hangin closet organizers. These things are SURPRISINGLY strong and worked fantastically for the past two years, but alas my stash has outgrown them 80(... the closet runs behind the FULL length behind the wall and I have LOADS more stashed behind/beside the hanging organizers.
Before:

During:

(Expedit cabinet, IKEA... a fabric freek's dream)

I haven't taken anypics of the cabinet all filled up, I haven't organized it all yet, but I'll snap one soon and post it.

Here is a shoot after the "Mountain" was moved... and my dressform is no longer Neked!

.... AND where the MAGIC happens!

Once I get everything all tidied up I'll post photos of how I have my OTHER side of the closet organized where I keep the Bolts and also the storage boxes I use for my insane pattern collection, you can see some of them in the last pic above the workstation on the shelf)....

~ ERIN

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 09:42:31 AM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lo{ve}
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010 10:08:48 AM »

i believe i just had tears of jealous stream down my face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010 10:19:12 AM »

Holy cow!  You've got your own fabric store going!

Of course, if I keep buying fabric like I have, I'll end up like that too!  But I can't keep doing that, I've spent waaayy too much already!  But when all red tag fabrics are half off, I can't stop myself!  I swear, it's a plot!  I walk into Joann to find more of the bright, busy thermal stuff that's so awesome for hoods and pockets and cuffs of fleece tops, and what do I find, but brocades that I was admiring when the were $10/yard... on sale for $2.50/yard!  Good thing that the sale isn't lasting much longer, so I won't be able to keep telling myself that I may as well buy it while it's cheaper... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010 10:52:06 AM »

Yup Maggie that is EXACTLY how this happened...be warned!

I mean REALLY? When walmart is getting rid of ALL of their fabric (foreeeeevvvverrrrr!) and they are having a 75% off sale you gotta buy all you can, right?  and who can pass up Silk Dupioni 2.50 p/yd at Hancock? Some sort of crazy system error that it was ringing up so dirt cheap... what's a girl to do? BUY ALL OF IT, of course! and DON't EVEn get me started on Joanns and crazy awesome fabrics I find online. Curse you EBAAAAYY!

I also have a tendency to see fabric for it's potential and what it "can become" images of glorious gowns and frocks and coats (oh my) swirl through my mind's eye... too bad my mind's eye doesn't supply me with the design plans for a time-freeze machine!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010 12:49:30 PM »

So how often does the fabric turn into what you saw?  I'm worse, I'm not usually even sure what I want to do with it!  I only know what I want to do with what I came in for, and that ends up being a very small part of what I end up getting!  (Maybe I'll have better ideas of that when I have more patterns..  those Simplicity patterns I ordered from sewingpatterns.com when they were on sale for $1.99 better get here soon!)

I've actually not found many deals on ebay that I was particularly impressed with--when I've looked around, nothing seemed any cheaper than what I've found on the discount fabric websites. 

I suppose it's actually somewhat good that I live in the middle of nowhere, because the only local fabric place around here is Joann, so I'm less tempted when they're not having any huge sales.  I don't think the Walmart here sells fabric, and I don't go in there anyway because a) walmart is EVIL and b) they have too much stuff.  When I've gone into walmart, I've always come out with stuff that don't need.  I stick to the commissary for food shopping now, it's cheaper anyway. 

It's usually easier to stop myself from buying fabric online because it's harder for me to be sure exactly what I'll get.  I can sometimes convince myself that it probably won't be as good as it looks. I guess that as I sew more and get more familiar with judging what fabric will be like based on weight and content, I'll get worse with buying fabric online, though.  I got a crazy amount of fleece (*ahem*, well, maybe not crazy to you..) when Hancock had the anti-pill fleece on sale online for $2.25/yard right before Christmas.. that I'm really glad I got, because it's keeping me very warm now!
I've been spending more on fabric than I can really afford..  at least I don't have to buy clothes, though! 

I guess that when you see them on sale for $1.99, limit 10, you have to buy 10?  (Cause otherwise it would be a waste, really, right?  You might have to buy a pattern for more later if you don't get it while it's on sale..  or that's what I end up telling myself..)
So do you have an organization system for your patterns?

This is how mine is now (still haven't found those six yards of hunter green panne velvet..)

Fleeces, plus a few others:

Wovens, with the ferret getting in.  (But I don't think she coulda taken the green velvet, because if she had, I'd have found it in one of her hiding spots...)

And knits.  The one on top is what I went back to Joann to get more of.  The thermal is hard to work with, but it's so cute to trim fleece with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hedgewitch
Mother Oak

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010 01:15:12 PM »

Holy cow!  Would you mind sending me your address, and a list of times and dates that you won't be home? 

lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010 05:31:18 PM »

An update.. I found the green panne velvet!  It was.. drumroll please... in the box that it came in!  I looked there, I swear, I looked there! I've been searching for it for weeks.  I remember taking the cabinet hinges that were sitting on top of the box off of the box, and looking inside it.  I guess that when looking inside a box for a dark fabric, it would be a good idea to look closer.  Yea.. I feel like an idiot!  (I'm still not sure exactly what category panne velvet belongs in..  it's kinda a knit, right?  But not so much used like a knit..  Maybe it belongs with fleece.  That's also where I have some fake fur.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylenstevesmom
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010 06:19:56 AM »

HOLY COW!!!!!  That's a lota fabric.

I thought I was bad, or maybe I am, but have it hidden all over the upstairs and at paid storage, the worst is tha  I have no idea what I actually have anymore....I didn't sew for a very long time, so I've forgotten what's there and what's not. 

I used to buy fabric like everyone else, when it was on sale dirt cheap, having no idea what I was going to sew with it...I'm not doing garments much anymore, so now it's quilting fabric, and patterns.  Fat Quarters are bad, because they are small, and take up less space than yardage.

I am Canadian and we NEVER get stuff on sale for $2.50/yd...  We have 1 major fabric store left, and I try to avoid it like the plague because the staff is so bad, and the selection even worse.  If I am desperate I'll go, but other than that I've been trying to use my stash, or I will go support my local quilt store.

Luckily I live 90 miles from Niagara Falls,NY and we camp down there every weekend in the summer...  so I get what I know is a great deal there, when I get the chance....  The coupons are great when I can get them!!!

I quit buying patterns some time ago as well... I looked in my stash and holy cow there's not a lot left....  I used to buy a British magazine every month that had sewing patterns in it.  I've got enough of those that, I don't need to buy patterns anymore, or I get them off the internet.

I gotta get organizing, and purging....

I do have 1 question.

I have a ton of knits, and I can't see myself using them in the future.  Would you sell them, donate them to a thrift store, or give them away on freecycle or something???  I'd like to see them used because I paid good money for them (I could only use 100% cotton for my boys).  Any ideas are welcome!

Theresa

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 06:28:36 AM by kylenstevesmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010 06:51:50 AM »

I have a ton of knits, and I can't see myself using them in the future.  Would you sell them, donate them to a thrift store, or give them away on freecycle or something???  I'd like to see them used because I paid good money for them (I could only use 100% cotton for my boys).  Any ideas are welcome!
If you want to get some of that money back out of them, why not ebay 'em?

If you don't care so much about that, maybe find out if there are any sewing-type groups around?  A Girl Scout troop would probably be quite happy to get them or possibly a women's shelter, or something like that..
I'm sure there are tons of people on here who would love to take them off your hands, too! LOL

If they're in paid storage now, just having them is costing you money.  And they're hidden away so you can't even look at them and go "wow!  I've got lots of awesome fabric!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLooZySue

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010 09:56:09 AM »

TRUST ME!! It IS possible to have TOOOO much of a good thing! sometimes I find myself feeling overwhelmed by all of it.... HAHA! coming to Texas? Put me on your list of "MUST SEE" tourist stops, LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Regards to unloading the knits.... Try opening a "destash" shop on etsy or even better Trendyindie.. might as well try and make a buck back for it all 80)

MAGGIE,
 Very rarely do I turn the fabric into what I saw.. because the darn thing morphs into something else, which at the time is WAAAY cooler than what I saw in the first place.. DOn;t worry I too buy stuff without even knowing what I'll use it for, but eventually the "images" start rolling in. 80)

the pattern stash right now really isn't all that well organized, currently it's by type... dresses, separates, children, jackets/coats, crafty things and Bags (OH how I love bags). I also have a box (or three) of my all time favorites, mostly consisting of some highly collectible vintage finds. yes I'd use them, but I'd trace them out onto interfacing first.

In the coming months I am going to be overhauling the patterns too, I really don't know exactly how many I even have. But what I plan to do is to scan the frontside and backside of each into my computer them place the two images onto a full 8x11 sheet of paper... print, put in plastic sleeves and create a catalog of sorts. Within the "catalog" I will have the divided into sections and the patterns will be stored in the appropriately labelled, corresponding box. I'm happy as long as they are narrowed down to at least one box, like Dress box A, Dress Box B, Separates Box A, B, C etc...should one box not be enough to hold all of one category.. I'm not going to narrow it down further than by the individual box no need to go all out Dewey Decimal style. LOL!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010 10:04:25 AM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Rhinestone Transfer
How to Interpret Sewing Patterns
How to Make a Split Stitch
How to Operate an Embroidery Machine
How to Write in Italic Handwriting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...