A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,966
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your stash?  (Read 11806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010 07:47:13 PM »

have you ever tried fabric organizers?  www.theFabricOrganizer.com   stores fabric on a mini bolt.  makes your stash look like a store.    Acid Free, reusable....   very easy and neat! .

ok i tried to post images... they are uploaded under user name dherrod....
Aren't those exactly the things we've been discussing as being awfully expensive for anybody with enough of a stash to need them?

comic book backing boards work well for this.  i just ordered some of the life magazine ones cause they are about hte same size as the fabric organizers

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010 02:48:43 PM »

Ok were do you get the comic backers from?Huh
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010 02:57:26 PM »

comic shops.
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010 03:03:31 PM »

I don't think we have a comic shop around here but will look into it Thanks!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010 07:54:31 PM »

Fabric is sorted in stacking bins for HOME DECOR, DENIM & CANVAS, QUILTING and KNITS.
Silk yardage folded and stored in office style shelving unit.

Smaller cuts of cotton are folded and sorted in office card flip file.

Check out this wonderful fabric folding tutorial at this post by Happy Zombie.http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=124

Check out my blog for organization tips!

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010 01:34:31 PM »

you can just google comic book boards.  the life magazine ones are more expensive, but i was trying to get closer to the same size as the organizer thingie.  i will have to double check my receipt to let you know what online place i got them from

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010 09:56:30 AM »

Here is mine, and I hate it like this.  I think what I hate the most is having these two shelving units crammed into this tiny 10x10 room.  It's mostly for garments except the top shelf.   I roll it and the shelves need to be deep.   
I'm looking for a closet system so it can all go in there with minimal hanging space.  I have finally convinced my husband to get rid of some old clothes so I don't need as much hanging room in there now. 
The man occupies a reach in and a walk in closet in the master bedroom.  I have one reach in, and the sewing room closet.  I would LOVE to get my hands on that walk in closet for my sewing stuff, but he officiates both football and basket ball and does competition shooting, so it's crammed with all that. 

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010 04:39:29 PM »

Hanging shoe organizers are the way to go for me, as I use the closet in my sewing room exclusively for fabric and notions.  I have a sweater organizer too, but it loses its shape easier, making each square shelf droop in the middle.

I like to categorize by fabric type/weight and stack them. I alternate the colors so I can differentiate easier. Previously I was using a plastic shelving unit with drawers. This is now my notions storage and I've acquired a second one to store my finished products.

visit KMakings Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KMakings

Duct tape will fix almost anything!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010 12:12:44 PM »

Wow! Just saw the picts of your fabric stash and I am so jealous!

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010 10:34:35 PM »

I have one of those giant shelve things that are designed for garages.  It holds 8 of those very large tuperware-like bins.  Most of them are clear but a few arent. 

I have:
1. scraps
2. girly fabrics
2. 'boy' fabric
3. 'neutral' fabric
4. fleece
5. knits
6. coorderoy
7. solid colors
8. 'other' (textured fabrics and things)

Also, the shelf is wide enough that there is room for smaller boxes at the end of each one so I have smaller boxes of:
-clothing blanks
- silks and dye

and also my emboidery attachment for my machine, embroidery scanner, and inbetween the boes is stuffed with fabric that wont fit in the big ones (mostly more knits)

I have 2 more in the closit
9. denim and other bottomweights
10. more 'other' labled 'weird fabrics' (swimwear fabric, silky stuff, weird textured stuff etc)

BTW I mostly make kids stuff and have 1yd or less of a ton of different fabrics, so its not practicle to fold or wrap any of it.  I use the boy/neutral/girly method for cotton wovens b/c thats how people order stuff, so its the easiest way to find a particular fabric. 

For browsing my stash, I have a pic of most of my fabrics here:
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Middleton Curls
How to Get a Wavy Half Up Hairstyle
How to Get Long Loose Waves
How to Get a Chic and Easy Wedding Updo
5 Things That Half-Buns Look Like
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...