A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your stash?  (Read 8955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ming
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010 04:49:48 AM »

Those who keep their fabrics stashed away in plastic tupperwares for the long haul should wrap their fabrics in a cotton sheet to protect them from the plastic itself. This will also help with any fading issues if they are in the sunlight.

I used to have an album with a sample of each fabric piece along with notes on yardages, where they were purchased, what fiber content, price, etc. Unfortunately most of my fabrics are in storage stateside while I am in S. Korea and the small stash I have accumulated here is quite manageable visually.

I am helping a friend of mine organize her huge fabric stash this week, she is primarily a quilter and we're trying to figure out how to categorize her vast collection of cotton fabrics. Anybody have suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010 05:09:59 AM »

If it's for quilting, I'd make first groups with dominant colours, then separate big prints from small prints from plain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
ming
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010 05:33:12 AM »

The problem with some of the prints is that we can't really decide on its "primary" color. We thought about dividing things by theme if possible, and then perhaps the color? Being primarily a garment sewer I don't usually worry about frog prints or sushi themed fabric.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010 07:57:40 AM »

The problem with some of the prints is that we can't really decide on its "primary" color. We thought about dividing things by theme if possible, and then perhaps the color? Being primarily a garment sewer I don't usually worry about frog prints or sushi themed fabric.  Wink
How about organizing by color, and then a separate section (on the other side of the neutrals?) for fabrics with more than one "dominant" color?

I would organize by color, but since I'm not a quilter (well, once in high school..) I don't have that consistency of types of fabric to be able to do that.  I know I want to separate knits from wovens, but then I end up wanting too many categories.. How heavy it is, how much of it I have... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyBikerChick
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010 08:06:59 AM »

One of them shows these corrugated plastic boards you can put your fabric on, then put them on shelves so it looks like you have your own little fabric store. Thing is, they're expensive. I think they'd be easy to make, but the only way to do it without spending way too much money is to buy in bulk. I have an article on this and links in the article.
Is there any reason you can't use sturdy cardboard instead of the plastic? That's what they do in fabric stores.   Then you could write on them too, to note how much of it you have or the what it's made out of. 

I've thought about it. It seems like the plastic would last longer and would be easier to keep dust-free. The cardboard gets flimsy after a while. It's only going to be used for a limited time at the fabric shop. However, it might be worth doing it that way to get it started, then convert to plastic over time.

Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CreativeGenes
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010 09:14:09 AM »

I "file" my fabric in two filing cabinets. I purchased a pack of comic book boards to wrap my fabric around. (It was about $6.00 for 100 boards.) I wrapped all my stash (except fat quarters, I folded those) around boards. I had 5 drawers per cabinet so I sorted by fabric content first, then colors and prints. I dropped the sorted, wrapped boards in hanging file folders and hang them in the filing cabinets.
I absolutely love this system! It keeps all my fabric clean and I can open a drawer and see all my FQs, or another drawer and see all my flannel. It did take me about a week to get all my fabric wrapped and sorted and it is a constant battle,, as I bring in new fabric to get it wrapped and put away but when I go to browse fabric stash for a project it is WELL worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylenstevesmom
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010 10:50:45 AM »

I loved the idea of taking pictures of what's a paid storage. 

I should also do that with the other stashes I have all over the house too.

Now I'll have to go over there on a sunny day because there is no electricity (we are in a shared warehouse space, and they use it for landscape trailers only)!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010 06:53:05 PM »

Since you primarily sew garments how about by weight, Dress weight, pant weight, sheers- much like they do in fabric stores- that way if you plan on making paants you don't have to go through all the colors to find the correct weight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010 07:13:24 AM »

Since you primarily sew garments how about by weight, Dress weight, pant weight, sheers- much like they do in fabric stores- that way if you plan on making paants you don't have to go through all the colors to find the correct weight
I'm kinda thinking along those lines..  Not so much sorting strictly by weight, but by type..  I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the number of categories from getting out of control, and I'd like some way of sorting within categories.  I cut up a giant printer box to use to wrap the fabric around, so that's getting me started at least having most of my fabric more structured..  I'm thinking I'll eventually go with some kind of filing, I just haven't decided exactly what to file by or what the "master categories" are going to be.  Or what size counts as "main stash" and what I want to consider scraps..
ROFL, I sound so OCD!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010 05:46:09 PM »

I turned a kitchen pantry into a fabric closet, and distributed the previous occupants to other cabinets. The pantry has a door, so the fabric is kept away from dust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Interfaces
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Preferences
How to Use the Adobe Photoshop CS3
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Handle Color Management
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Personalize Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...