A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your stash?  (Read 8637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maggiedoll
« on: January 01, 2010 03:44:19 PM »

With the holiday sales and then 50% off all red-tag fabric at Joann, my stash has grown considerably (and I've somehow misplaced a 6-yard piece of hunter green panne velvet that should go perfectly with the sheer fabric that was 50 cents a yard..) so I'm wondering how you guys store and organize your fabric, especially if you buy fabric without knowing what exactly you're going to use it for.  What do you keep it in?  In drawers?  Or boxes?  Shelves?  How do you sort it?  By color?  By type? Size?  By what you think you may do with it?  How long did it take you to settle on whatever system you use, and does it work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peace_piper
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010 05:36:55 PM »

Sorting by colour is a great idea. I usually just stack mine in some baskets and put it in shelves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010 06:55:50 AM »

Sorting by colour is a great idea. I usually just stack mine in some baskets and put it in shelves.
Sorting by color looks pretty, especially if you have lots of space, but then you have all different types of fabrics mixed together.  I ordered a whole lot of fleece when it was $2.25/yard at Hancock, and fleece is just so very big, putting it with thinner fabrics would kinda bury some of them!  One yard of fleece is bigger than 10 of taffeta.  Not to mention that where do you put multicolored fabric?  Maybe sort into knits, wovens, and specialty, and then sort by color.. gotta decide on what exactly to put it in, too.  Yea, I guess I'm a bit obsessive compulsive..  (just a tad!) but I'm very prone to messiness.. if I don't come up with a system that works, everything is just chaos. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylenstevesmom
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010 07:26:14 AM »

I'd love to hear from someone who lives in a small space, and has their stash organized well.

I gave up my sewing room 10 years ago to have another baby, with the idea that we were going to buy a bigger house eventually... well that didn't happen and I'm still sewing in the master bedroom... which is great BUT...

I've recently taken up quilting, so I have quilting fabrics, garment fabrics, and lord knows what else all over the house.  I even have stuff at paid storage.  I have no idea what's where, and so I tend to say forget it and just go buy more.

My New Years resolution is to organize my yarn and fabrics, so that I know where EVERYTHING is. 

I currently have stuff under the bed, in all the closets upstairs, in a trunk in my son's room, and in paid storage.

I have yarn pretty much everywhere as well, and have started to get rid of what I KNOW I won't use.  I have a wooden trunk on the main floor which I think I will stick the yarn, because that's where I sew.

I have lots of see through containers, so I do have the means... but not the ideas as to how to begin organizing stuff!!!

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!!

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatevs.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010 08:40:43 AM »

My stash probably isn't very large, but I use big storage containers with latchable lids.  I just went out and bought one after Christmas since Target had a lot on sale, and it works pretty well for me.  I now have 2- one for yarn and one for fabric.  They fit in the corner of the room that I sew in, and they're clear so I can see what fabric I have in them.  If you don't have a corner to put them in I know that they're also available in flat sizes with wheels so you can roll them under your bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyBikerChick
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010 09:41:34 AM »

Funny you should bring this up now. I've written several articles on my Examiner site over the last couple of weeks that are relevant.

One of them shows these corrugated plastic boards you can put your fabric on, then put them on shelves so it looks like you have your own little fabric store. Thing is, they're expensive. I think they'd be easy to make, but the only way to do it without spending way too much money is to buy in bulk. I have an article on this and links in the article.

Right now, I have them sorted mostly by color, except the novelties, and stuffed into boxes. The problem is that the little pieces get crammed in there, and then I rarely see them when I'm looking for something.

Make sure you store them out of direct sunlight. I have a friend who had serious fading on a lot of her stash. It was very sad.

Here's the link to my site with the articles:

http://bit.ly/5qzOAI
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010 09:47:04 AM »

I have most of my stash in a cupboard now, and some more in clear plastic storage boxes under my bed.  So what I try to do is put what I'm more likely to use soon in the cupboard for easy access, and I separate heavy and light fabrics in two different shelves.  I tend to separate summer and winter fabrics, especially because I find it very difficult to sew or shop for clothes out of season.  If I want to make a top in a light fabric for winter partying, I'll find the fabric more easily this way anyway.  Also, the bits of fabric that are too small I keep separate in a different plastic crate.

Theresa, take some photos of the stuff you have in storage so that you can check the contents comfortably at home before going shopping.  That way you won't duplicate what you already have and you won't make useless trips to the storage unit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
ellemir
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010 11:46:36 AM »

I had been struggling with this for ages. So I bought a load of plain calico shopping bags, the kind hobbyshops sell for you to decorate. I then embroidered what was in there., using my sewing machine. I used purple thread for the bag of purple silks, blue for the blue and so on so I can tell at a glance which bag is which. They are hung on my craft room wall in a useful order so i can find what i want. And being in the cloth bags will keep them dust free. i hope this will prove a cheap and practical solution
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010 12:40:30 PM »

One of them shows these corrugated plastic boards you can put your fabric on, then put them on shelves so it looks like you have your own little fabric store. Thing is, they're expensive. I think they'd be easy to make, but the only way to do it without spending way too much money is to buy in bulk. I have an article on this and links in the article.
Is there any reason you can't use sturdy cardboard instead of the plastic? That's what they do in fabric stores.   Then you could write on them too, to note how much of it you have or the what it's made out of. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkPanter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010 12:14:10 AM »

I use shelves, and organize by what I am using the fabric for and how big the pieces are.  Most of my fabric is used to make hammocks for rats and other small animals (I sell them on the internet) so that is most of what is in my stash.  It would be a LOT bigger but I am trying really hard to get rid of things before we drive from Alaska to Illinois next summer.  I don't have any room to take fabric with me, especially not bulky fleece (though I miss having the color variety I used to).

Here is a slightly old pic of my stash, I should take a new one.  Its a bit more organized now.  I've started taking up quilting, so I'm getting more high quality cottons.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TLJskprjruI/SwD7B-7XKmI/AAAAAAAAAEY/GKc9Q7NEH3Q/s512/SL370002.JPG

Pink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eyebrow Shaping Tutorial
How to Create Grunge Inspired Hairstyles
How to Create a Braided Bun
Blondes Vs. Brunettes
Runway Hair Curling Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...