A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Plastic Bag Fruit Bowl + Tutorial (Long awaited)  (Read 10819 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sophie_aj
« on: January 01, 2010 11:39:21 AM »

Recycling and Useful!

Materials

Plastic bags of different colours
Cardboard
Needle and Thread to finish (optional)
Scissors
Compass or circular objects to draw around.

Step 1: The Cardboard Template

Decide the size of the bowl you wish to make. Decide the size of the inner circle and then the distance from the inner circle to the outer circle will be the height of the sides. The one above is a particularly large one and I used a massive compass for it borrowed from my engineer friends, I guess there are not that many of them lying around!
Now take cardboard and draw an inner circle and an outer circle around it (the centre should be the same point or else your bowl will be lopsided - though this can be nice).

Step 2: The Cardboard Template - Slits

From the image above it should be clear what you are trying to come up with. If you want to be really accurate you can make the slits using a protractor and measuring 36degrees in between each.
Note - when you cut the slits you want them to be V shaped. The fatter you cut the V shapes the more they will come together and the deeper the bowl will be. If they are very narrow then the bowl will be shallower.

Step 3: Squish the Cardboard

Once you have got the template as above then you need to make the cardboard pliable. Do this by pushing your thumbs into it. You can then begin to see what shape your bowl might become. SOry I don't have a picture for this. ALso I wouldn't squish the centre and it might be a good idea to re-inforced the centre with sticky back plastic but this might not be necessary.

Step 4: Plastic Bags

You need to cut your plastic bags into strips which is very easy if you  lay the plastic bag flat and then roll/fold it from the bottom to the handles then simply make 4 cuts (usually about right). You will then end up with 4 lovely strips. The end strips will need a little incision into the handles and then slicing down the middle to make them the same as the middle two strips.

Step 5: Weaving

Very simple technique. Just in and out. One strip goes behind and infront and the other will go in front and behind. It is best to go with one strip "out, in, out" and then with the other "in, out, in" rather than getting carried away with one of the strips. This will make your weave tighter.

Overlapping strips - there are a couple of options, you can try and twist them together or you can just start a new strip and over lap and then tuck in the ends and tidy it up later. I prefer the latter.

Step 6: Finishing

I finished mine by folding a strip over the top and sewing it on with some strong thread and a blanket stitch but you could use a running stitch or whatever. I have seen others just fold the remaining  cardboard out as a little ridge.

Notes: I have recently made a square one of these and it worked really well too - obviously using a square shaped template with right angle slits at the corner.

Please message me if you have any questions. I have never written a tutorial before and maybe you need more photos. let me know :-)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 02:32:31 AM by sophie_aj - Reason: New Tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010 11:47:35 AM »

Ok, this is just purely awesome.  How did you do that?  I love all the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dittoz
The Punk Rock Monster Girl

shhh... i'm invisible.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010 11:58:59 AM »

Tute please!

Love the colors! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeMeBev

Creator of many things! Love custom orders..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 12:01:47 PM »

This is so cool...how did you make it? Or it a trade secret....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hipmama1970
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 12:03:08 PM »

That's really neat! I've never seen one like that. Cool beans, and a great (green) way to start a new decade Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 12:29:48 PM »

Tut please! I know I've seen this in a crafting magazine before but can't recall how it's done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blacksunshine782
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010 10:30:14 AM »

Oooh, could we have a tutorial? It's a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandybles

I <3 my pooch.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010 09:43:28 AM »

Fantastic! I love how well all the colors work together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happy*chickens
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010 07:20:37 PM »

i'm speechless! Shocked
is it sturdy? would be cool to make a folding one and carry it around in you're bag just because you can and this bowl is awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophie_aj
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010 02:33:05 PM »

Ok, you'll have to bear with me while I create a tutorial! Yeah it's fairly sturdy and very light. It could probably be modified to increase sturdiness too. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...