A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: 2010 12" Squares CAL (with pattern links)  (Read 35339 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 31, 2009 10:20:23 PM »

Welcome to the 2010 12" Square CAL!

Every month, I'll post a link to a pattern for a 12" square. The goal is to complete at least one square each month, and by the end of the year, you'll have enough squares to make a nice lap-sized afghan. Even if you don't end up making every square, it's still fun to see the squares that everyone makes Smiley

January- Cute As a Button
Minor corrections: Note: The pattern writer made the corrections to the PDF version of the file (it says Version 2 once you open it), but I think the pattern printed on the website still needs the corrections (as of 2 pm on January 3rd, at least Wink ). So, if you download the latest version, you should be all set and can ignore the following corrections Grin
Round 1 should start off with a Ch 1, sc right before the first Ch 5
Round 2, in the 2nd set of parentheses needs a ch 4 added in so it should read (in next ch-5 sp shell, ch 4, sl st in back rib of 1st ch of ch-4, shell, ch-4, sl st in 1st ch of ch-4).

February- Sun Daze
Minor correction: In Round 6, it says to "skip next dc, dc in next dc" and a bit after "skip next dc" but Round 5 isn't all dc. So, if you change dc to "stitch" it works out just fine Wink

March- Easter Day Square
Minor correction: In Round 8,  it says, "(ch1, sk 1 st, 3 dc's in center dc..." but Round 7  isn't all dc. So, if you change dc to "stitch" it works out the same Wink

April- Tiptoe Through the Tulips
Minor, almost inconsequential correction, for clarity: In Round 4, it says to join "with a sl st CL in same space" so I'm sticking in a comma just to make it clear  Grin :
"with a sl st, CL in same space"

May- Eternal Braid (Note: There is a link on the page for a PDF download of the pattern, or you can use the list of "Quick Links" on the right hand side of the page)
Minor error: Round 10 says to stitch into the dc of the previous round, but Round 9 is made with sc.

June- Big June Square (Note: This is a direct link to the PDF of the pattern)
There are a couple of corrections to the pattern, and the pattern instructions only go up to Round 7 (and then pick up again at Round 13), so in case you need them, I've added them below:
Corrections:
Add to end of R3: 2 bpdc

Add to end of R4: 2 dc, 2 bpdc

Add to end of R5: 2 bpdc, 2 dc, 2 bpdc
Also, in middle of R5: after the 3dc, it should read 2 bpdc (instead of 3 bpdc)

Add to end of R6: (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 2 times

Add to end of R7: 2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 2 times

Additional Rounds:
Round 8: ch 3, 2 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 3 times, edge
[(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times, 3 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 3 times, edge] 3 times
(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times

Round 9: ch 3, 2 dc, 2 bpdc (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times, edge
[2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times, 3 dc, 2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times, edge] 3 times
2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 3 times

Round 10: ch 3, 2 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 4 times, edge
[(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times, 3 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 4 times, edge] 3 times
(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times

Round 11: ch 3, 2 dc, 2 bpdc (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times, edge
[2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times, 3 dc, 2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times, edge] 3 times
2 bpdc, (2 dc, 2 bpdc) 4 times

Round 12: ch 3, 2 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 5 times, edge
[(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 5 times, 3 dc, (2 bpdc, 2 dc) 5 times, edge] 3 times
(2 dc, 2 bpdc) 5 times

July- Shell Around Square
Corrections/Clarifications
Round 6- It isn’t stated in the directions, but just in case, the “(trc, ch1) 4 times” always happens in the next ch 3 space

Round 7- In 2 spots, the directions say to “ skip next dc, sp, and dc” but they should read “skip next trc, sp, and trc”. There also seems to be an extra ch 1 right at the end of the round.

Round  9- After the second “DSD cluster in next 3 dc”, the directions should read “ dc in next dc, skip next sc, dc in next 3 dc, dc in sp, ch 1”

Round 12 (both options)- “[sc in next 2 dc, 3 sc in next dc, sc next 2 sc” should read “[sc in next 2 dc, 3 sc in next dc, sc next 2 dc

August-Pavo

Round 1 is a bit confusing, so I think what she means is:
Chain 6 and join to form a ring (or use a magic ring). Ch 6, (tr in ring, ch 2) 7 times. Join with sl st in 4th ch of beginning ch 6.

And in Round 5, I think the 3rd “sentence” from the end should read:

Ch 2, sk 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2 # sk 1 dc, sc in next ch 2 sp

because in Round 6, she says to crochet into the ch 2 spaces a bunch of times and there wouldn’t be enough of them otherwise.

September- Dutch Square

Only 1 correction! Round 14: In the second sentence, replace the word "twice" with "6 times."

October- Double-Framed Lace
No corrections! Yay!

November- Mulberry Bush (Note: This is available as a free PDF download. When you get to the download site, click on the grey "Download Now" button- you don't need to install anything or sign up for anything.)

December- Winter Dream
I think I only found one minor correction. In Round 10, near the end it says "(make cluster, ch2) 8 times" and I think it should only be 7 times.

Note: Over at the Ravelry 2010 CAL, Ravelry user jmrphish has been posting step-by-step photo tutorials for the Craftster blocks. Her photos are great and clearly illustrate each round! Thanks, Jill!

The folks over there have been doing a great job with the Craftster squares, so you should check them out for inspiration!

And, here are the patterns for the Ravelry version of the 12" block CAL (They also have a 6" square every month and a charity square almost every month, but I'm only including the links to the 12". Click on the Ravelry CAL link above for more info.). Whenever possible, I've used the direct link to the pattern for those who don't have a Ravelry account:

January: E-ZEE V-ZEE Granny Square
February: Violet Crochet Square
March: Half-N-Half Square (free Ravelry download)
April: Wandith
May: Tilt-A-Whirl
June: Alter Ego Square
July: More V's Please (free Ravelry download)
August: Majesty Square
September: Manny Ann's Square (free Ravelry download)
October: Popcorn Delight
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 06:14:03 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009 10:40:22 PM »

Awesome! I'm glad you're hosting this again.  (You are SUCH an enabler!!! Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010 08:48:31 AM »

Awesome! I'm glad you're hosting this again.  (You are SUCH an enabler!!! Tongue)

Tee hee! Happy to spread the addiction Wink

Here's my completed January block. It's called "Cute as a Button" and it sort of looks like a plain granny square in the picture, but it has some variation. It's not hard to follow the pattern, either. There is one thing- the pattern says to slip stitch into the "back rib" of the 1st stitch of the ch 4 and I took that to mean the little loop on the "underside" of the chain. I don't know if that's right, but it worked out fine for me Wink

And, I used a K hook and thought that it came out gigantic. But, I guess A) I've been working on GDs too much lately so it looked huge in comparison and B) It's one of a very few blocks I've ever made that came out at exactly 12", so I'm used to smaller sized blocks.

I'm going with a pink theme this time around. I bought a bunch of pink yarn to do another CAL (Maybe the Ravelry version? I have no idea), and figured I'd use it for this. The pink is all Red Heart Super Saver and the white is from a Caron Pound of Yarn (which felt like I was working with cotton, for some reason).

So, I can't wait to see what color combinations everyone else is using this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 12:39:28 PM »

ohhh this looks like fun  Cheesy might have to join in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
tracethekat
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 03:00:03 PM »

Yay! I was waiting for you to post this!

I'm doing both this one and the one on ravelry to make one massive afghan. I am also going to combine some stash busting with some other yarns I collect along the way and/or swap for. Should be interesting!

I'm off to start now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 03:03:50 PM »

yay - I like the new square! I'm still going to be working in the (boring, yet earthy) cream/browns. Once I finish that blanket for my aunt, I may start anew with brighter yarns, perhaps in cotton or a cotton blend.

I'm doing the 50 projects-along this year and within my 50 projects I've made the vow to participate more fully and keep up with this crochet-along, as well as the wash-cloth along. Because the 200 block crochet-along fell by the wayside, I will continue to crochet a few of those a month as well to mix with the 12-inch. Who knows, maybe I'll revive that thread.

I'm going to try to swap less and make more things for myself and gifts for family and friends. I'm great at swapping but not all that great about gifts for others or myself. I noticed there are some good swaps coming up though. Maybe I should start a 12 step group for swap addicts  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010 03:10:51 PM »

I probably have enough yarn to do the Ravelry 12" squares, too. And, I may actually do that this year. I have 8 or 9 skeins of pink and 2 pounds of white, so I'm pretty sure I can make it Wink

And, I'm really limiting my swaps this year to crochet swaps only (for now at least). And, playswithneedles, I hear you on the great with swaps but not as great with gifts for myself and others. I'm thinking that if there is a non-crochet swap that I am desperate to be in, that I'll do it as a craft-along and just make an item or two for myself Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010 03:39:00 PM »

I don't really participate/post in the ravelry CAL, but I do check the patterns and print out the ones I like. I plan to use some of last year's for fillers. I think 8-9 skeins plus a couple of pounds is probably enough to do both!

And for me, I am good about crocheting on my own without a swap. But its the OTHER kinds of swaps that tend to hook me. And to justify breaking my new vow, I'm looking at a swap called something like "one for me and one for you." And if I make something from my project list for my partner and myself AND receive something from my project list - that's two down, right?!

I gave away/used alot of my stash when I moved two months ago into a tiny cottage. So, I'm limited by what little stash I still have left and the fact I have very little money. So no supply hoarding and I will be buying as I go. That in itself will probably lend more to the "willpower" not to swap than anything else.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
Mienna
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010 06:51:38 PM »

Cute square! I haven't even finished 2009's and 2008's still isnt' together! Ohh no. I don't know what colors to do this years in. 2008 was greens/purples, 2009 was blue/brown, hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010 09:14:06 PM »

I just dug out the bag that has my 2008 squares in it. I made it through July and I have the August pattern all printed out. I really want to finish! And then, I'll go back and continue working on the 2007 version, which I am about halfway done with. I think I'd be finished with the blocks if I stuck with the easy squares, but I want to do the experienced squares now.

That would be about 3 squares a month, which I should be able to do. I may be able to get the August '08 block made tomorrow, even. And, I may bring the September pattern with me, too. Of course, I still have to weave in all of the ends from my '09 blocks, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the September '08 pattern just yet... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Double Crochet
How to Decorate Your iPod
How to Half Double Crochet
How to Reuse Soda Tabs
How to Crochet an iPad Case
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...