A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: transfering patterns to fabric using carbon paper?  (Read 1544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ferociousdinosr
« on: February 01, 2005 09:05:14 AM »

Hello ladies (and gentlemen?),

I am currently working on a big-ass embroidery project: a carnie-style banner of Coney Island complete with boardwalk, El Dorado Auto Skooter, Nathan's Famous hotdogs, the Burlesque show, Astroland, the Coney Island Cyclones, freaks, geeks, and a very cosmopolitan mermaid.

I've completed all of the drawings but have been procrastinating literally for months because I've never tried to transfer images to fabric. But I need to finish this in time for a friend's wedding and besides I'm eager to getting to stitching (the fun part), so I have a question for you all:

I am thinking about using regular carbon paper to transfer my image to fabric. It is important, because the piece will be relatively large, that the lines I transfer don't fade away (as iron on transfer lines sometime do). In the past I've sometimes even used a ballpoint pen to freehand things. My question is for anyone who has tried this before--I'm a little worried that the carbon paper is going to get all over everything and am wondering if I should mask off bits of the fabric, transfering a little bit at a time. I am sure that I will eventually figure out the answer to this question through experimentation but a) I'm very lazy and b) if I can avoid it, I don't want to buy a lot of supplies that I'm not going to need (transfer pens, transfer paper, fabric markers, etc.)

xx, Sarah 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005 10:34:34 PM »

Hi there! I'm really sorry I'm not able to help better than what I'm about to say ... but honestly I haven't even SEEN any carbon paper in oh prob'ly a decade or more ... is it still even being made??

Assuming it is -- I wouldn't try carbon paper for this purpose *unless* there's been *a whole lot* of product improvement since the last time I tried it myself for the same thing.  That would be more than 5 decades ago by now (yeah I'm pretty old) -- back when the great-aunties & grandmamas were trying to teach me how to embroider like a proper little lady ... lol~

Well, the way carbon paper was back then it didn't just make a mess, it made a horrible hideous DREADFUL mess.

Soooo ... if this stuff is still being made and if I were you, I'd experiment first before I actually used it -- for example, take a sheet and rub it all over your hands, all over some pieces of the thread you intend to use, & all over a few scraps of the banner fabric.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005 10:38:44 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005 07:33:39 AM »

I don't think that I'd use regular carbon paper.  Go to the fabric store or department, and get some dressmakers carbon, and use that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ferociousdinosr
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 09:03:20 AM »

Actually I stopped procrastinating and tried it out this past weekend, first on a scrap piece of fabric, and it worked beautifully. Clear lines, no smudging.  And I'm not going to have to worry about the lines fading which is helpful because my project is like 24 x 29 inches. I bought a couple of packs of carbon paper at Pearl Paint--I think that people normally use it for transfering patterns to wood.

x, sb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deceptive.fragileness
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 04:42:49 PM »

I know this is an ancient post... but they do still make carbon paper. You may be able to pick a spare sheet up from your local tattoo artist. My hubby has some lying around since that's what they use to put the design of your tattoo on your skin. washes away easily with WAG.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Film Lab - Mixing Sources
Welcome to the Film Lab
Gestures in Silent Films
What Colour Temperature Is
Watch This Instead #63 - Hot Tub Time Machine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...