A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 205
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 138976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1100 on: May 28, 2010 06:30:03 AM »

vinegar on a cotton swab is supposed to get rid of that milky-eye mildew. I have to do that for my dolly too, in fact, I think I'll try it right now! All her skin is brown, she's my brown baby doll Wink.

ETA I cleaned her eyes and it worked great! I saturated a cotton swab and rubbed it over all the mildwey bits, just rubbing and rubbing until I felt like it had started to penetrate and soften the mildew, then I carefully scraped away at it with a wooden toothpick. I was making good progress with the irises but the whites were still murky looking so I tried a finger nail and what do you know? It scraped Right Off! It was like a scale covering her eyes and lids, they are just as bright as ever now. I treated her nose, mouth and ear crevices too but they need a scrubbing with a soft old toothbrush I think. And I have the reverse of you Always, there are some small spots that are stained white with mildew that won't come off. I can always try to tint her with sharpies though, her hair needs a touch up (it's vinyl too, a very short 'do).
I'm excited about making her some outfits, my little girl has just gotten into dressing her dollies but this is the only one I feel motivated to make clothes for. For some reason she is very concerned that they all have socks, I suppose I'll have to make a pair of those for each of them at least! Good thing they're little Cheesy.

Hey always, you could attach hair to the bonnets you make and change her hair style and colour with each hat she wears! You can find glue on wigs too though I don't know how they end up looking.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 09:21:54 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
momcuellar
« Reply #1101 on: May 28, 2010 10:43:51 AM »

thanks always.  I was pretty amazed how easy clothes making was.  I bought a book from Amazon and just adapted the sizes by using smaller hook and thread to H hook and WW yarn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1102 on: May 28, 2010 10:51:32 AM »

Great--I will try it when I get home! I used some single socks and sewed socks for this outfit...just made tubes and tied ribbons around the top...

She sits on an antique chair in my foyer so my thought was to have an outfit for every season and a special one for Christmas when my house is full of company! I seriously thought about finding another similar sized doll and cutting off the hair...but then I would feel bad for the other doll...silly, I know... Cheesy

I used zinc oxide to take the black spots off because I read it on a website for doll repairs!  It worked!  and, it took of sharpie ink on the vinyl as well!  Not sure about white mildew spots--I bet a brown sharpie would do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1103 on: May 28, 2010 10:59:19 AM »

That's a cool trick with the zinc oxide, I suppose that wouldn't work for my brown skinned girl though.
I'm confused about the sock thing, you made her outfit out of them? I'm not seeing it...
You know you can just buy doll hair right? No need to go baldifying any other dollies! Cheesy
Why am I not seeing these clothes of your momcueller? Maybe I missed a page, I'll go look again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1104 on: May 28, 2010 11:02:16 AM »

no no--I just made socks for her using one of my stray socks--I am not skilled at knitting socks...Cheesy

Crochet doll dresses were posted here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=348702.msg4064223#msg4064223
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 11:04:59 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
J_Kieviet

« Reply #1105 on: May 28, 2010 11:22:48 AM »

Yay, used up a few more supplies

-pack of beads
-jewellery fittings

Off to go use up some of my:

fabric
elastic
bergundy thread
plastic beads
stretch jewellery cord
wire
wooden pegs
paint
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 28, 2010 02:08:29 PM »

I just demoulded a partially finished quilt in an attempt to finish it. Top tips were.

Use a hairdryer on it for a few minutes. This fluffs the mould up. Then use a soft brush like a nail brush to brush it off.

Wet salt to a paste and scrub over the remainder. Leave until it dries, then brush off with the brush.

Neither do any damage to fabric even if not totally successful. I used them both a few times to fade the mould away, then lemon juice to bleach the faint stain tha remained.

Then I worked about fifteen minutes on the quilt. Still bored with it.

But I thought I'd post them as you could try them on vinyl and they are not damaging like bleach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momcuellar
« Reply #1107 on: May 28, 2010 05:30:09 PM »

was looking around the forum.  At the occasions forum there's a link to a bootie pattern.  To download the pattern, I saw the other patterns and boom, headbands hit me.  Light bulb:  Would it work to make headbands from stash fabric, sew wig hair to netting or light fabric and sew that under the headband for hair?Huh!!!!  Maybe I'm just a little hungry...but could it work??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
J_Kieviet

« Reply #1108 on: May 28, 2010 07:13:08 PM »

Ditched todays plans after realizing the fabric had to be washed, instead I started working on 80 tissue pack covers, used up 2 remnants and still have to cut about 40 more squares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
ysmeine
« Reply #1109 on: May 29, 2010 09:02:43 AM »

Those are great. I was amazed at all the intersting fabrics you had in stash, and thrilled to hear of their earlier lives. Love the zipper mouth by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 205 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Fun and Affordable Summer Grilling Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...