A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 205
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 136444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DncingDreamer

music is what feelings sound like

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 05, 2010 10:07:40 AM »

i am 100% in! i've been browsing the boards for a few years now but i'll finally going to participate. between looking at your inspiring posts & watching 'clean house' i've decided it's time to rid myself of some crafty clutter.

right now i have two projects in mind - a rapunzel scarf & something for my friend's upcoming little one (due in june so i still have a little while). her son got a green no-sew fleece blanket with a hand-drawn embroidered red sox wally the green monster on it so the new addition will probably have something similar.

i'm also debating giving a lot of my paper craft suchness away to my friend that scrapbooks. either that or i'll start decorating frames again...hmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #651 on: March 05, 2010 11:46:11 AM »

There's a lot of types of rip-stop, Always. Some of the stuff I have is soft and slippery, like parachute material. It's also available in so many different finishes. I've actually seen some that was real thick and hard.
  Are your lunch bags supposed to have a handle? Roll over top with velcro? Both? Do you want me to make you some? How thick do you want them?

thanks so much for the offer...but, I am using licensed Girl Scout fabrics for the outside for a specific charity event for my sister...I found out that the stiff stuff is what I am suppose to use--like for banners!  It gives the bags shape and is tough and washable...It seems like it ravels a lot so I am going to serger the seams...yeah--velcro (which I hate!) and I am making thin long straps to be able to carry over the shoulder...the outside fabrics are really cute---thin mints, badges, and going green...

I look forward to destashing the stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: March 05, 2010 11:46:44 PM »

Always... Definitely overlock, and use a tight stitch. You need to leave a decent seam allowance. Sometimes I even top-stitch the seams down, If I'm making something that needs extra strength. I hope you show us a picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarantha
« Reply #653 on: March 06, 2010 02:17:18 AM »

I'm so pleased with the stash busting I've done with this, I have to share:

I had so many little balls of yarn lying around, and also lots of yarn I was given by my grandma or other people.. stuff they didn't use since their crafting days seem to be over, but unfortunately I hated lots of it. But couldn't bring myself to throw it out, of course, even if it was the cheapest and squeakiest acrylic ever. So this was perfect... I got rid of so much unwanted yarn.

My husband is a bit nonplussed about these bowls. "What are you going to use them for, though" was his standard comment to these. Well... the big ones are perfect for storing yarn  Grin I didnt' take a picture of the biggest one that came out a bit lumpy. But right now it's serving as a pretty yarn bowl next to my favorite armchair.

The big one in the above picture actually has a bottom made of fabric strips, which is great for adding stiffness and helps keep its shape. Unfortunately I hate cutting those strips from old clothes.. you cut and you cut and you crochet it so quickly, it's very frustrating.

One last picture, a closeup of the stitches:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #654 on: March 06, 2010 10:04:28 AM »

wow--you would not know it was "ugly" yarn! They look good and useful!

oh thanks KLKing!!  I think I will do a overlapped topstitched seam so no raw edges will be seen...Not sure if the stuff can be ironed so it will also help keep the seams flat!  excellent suggestion!

I hate themed fabric like that because there is such limited uses for it..I think I have enough to make snack bags as well and maybe a few water bottle holders...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 06, 2010 10:14:01 AM »

Wink Oh pooh on your husband!  Kudos to you for finding a use for the yarn and t-shirts!  And I am sure I am not speaking for myself, when I say that I LOVE those bowls, and wish I had one!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tlh878
« Reply #656 on: March 06, 2010 10:32:11 AM »

I agree with Miss Barbara, I love those bowls and now I want one. 

How did you make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarantha
« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2010 12:41:08 AM »

thanks for the nice comments  Cheesy

Making those bowls is ridiculously easy: Take a 15mm crochet hook and at least 6-9 balls of unwanted yarn. I only used sc and ss to crochet the bowls.
Crochet first a flat round base holding as many strands of yarns as you need to give you a nice stitch. If it seems too floppy add more yarn, if it seems too unwieldy and hard to crochet with (although it is quite a different experience from normal crocheting in small scale), take some yarn away.
When you've got a big enough base stop the increases (I did the increases for the circle by feel, it didn't seem to follow quite the same rules as small scale crocheting at all times.. just increase whenever you feel you need to to get a flat round base) and simply start crocheting in the round. The first round of your sides crochet into the back loop only. Keep going until you like the height.
Note: I connected the rounds with a ss, then ch1 to start the next round. If you just spiral up it'll be hard to get your edge to be nice and flat when you fasten off, because all the stitches are rather big and the bump is rather big.

Whenever one of the yarn balls ran out I'd simply make a knot at the end to connect another ball or longish piece of yarn. You can tuck in the ends into the stitches and hide them, there's no need to get all fancy about weaving in. When your bowl is done, embellish with a flower, weave a ribbon into the top.. it makes all the difference.

For the fabric strip base (if you're more patient than I you could make a bowl just from fabric strips of course) cut long strips from old clothes .. mine were about 2cms wide and I just cut them as long as I could, going round edges - they don't have to be straight, just make them as long as you can or you'll run out too quickly.

I hope this made sense to you. There's not a lot to it, really. Be warned though, this really is a major stashbuster for yarn. These bowls seem to EAT it, it goes so fast. I've been thinking it could be a nice rug, too .. but I'd like sturdier yarns for that (at least a lot of cottons).. or it would be cute to make a wall hanging, if you had so many colours and so much yarn that you can have different colour schemes and didn't have to just jumble it all together like I did.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010 12:42:15 AM by sarantha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2010 06:53:58 AM »

Great bowls! I spent ages searching for a rectangular basket that didn't cost 4 times what I think they are worth when I could have just crochetted one! I have wire to make a frame, pretty easy to crochet something for walls and bottom. I'll have to give it a go, I could use a little yarn destash.

Ok, I am stuffing and finishing 4 sock monkey bodies and 5 fleece creatures today. It seems like a whole lotta stuff but once again, didn't make a dent in teh stash. Sigh. I don't know what to do here, I'm going to have to start making enormous projects if I want to use up some of this stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2010 09:12:26 AM »

wow--you would not know it was "ugly" yarn! They look good and useful!

oh thanks KLKing!!  I think I will do a overlapped topstitched seam so no raw edges will be seen...Not sure if the stuff can be ironed so it will also help keep the seams flat!  excellent suggestion!

I hate themed fabric like that because there is such limited uses for it..I think I have enough to make snack bags as well and maybe a few water bottle holders...
As for ironing, rip-stop nylon shrinks and melts. if you have to iron anything, make sure it is on a VERY low setting. A little steam is ok, but you want the heat at the absolute minimal to produce steam. And, don't use the dryer. I have done a lot of melting. a press-cloth is a good idea. Here's where a piece of see-thru chiffon will come in handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 205 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angelina Jolie: A Hollywood Style Star
How to Do Country Casual Style
The New Must-Have Pant for Fall
Best Boots for Under $100
10 Things You Might Not Know About Isabel Marant
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...