A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 205
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 DeStash-Along-CLOSED--Join us in the 2011 Destash Along  (Read 136930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2010 02:09:05 AM »

alwaysinmyroom: yep! Most of the striped hats were made by changing colours each round (without cutting the yarn). If you're careful to twist them together when switching then you don't get any holes.

There is a black and orange one where I wrapped two pegs with black, two pegs with orange, and repeated that around. It gives it a swirled appearance as there are an odd number of pegs. That uses more yarn, though, and it can be tricky winding the pegs. You have to be careful to twist the yarns together at each colour change, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2010 03:10:15 AM »

fantasticmio, I love the stripey hats, too! I need to try to figure out how to wrap the pegs for the color changes. I make hats for our local battered women's shelter (Most of them are needed for the kids that come in with the moms, so I make about 2/3 of the hats in kid sizes. Often these groups leave home in a hurry with nothing but the clothes they are wearing). I do some stripey hats on my Innovations knitting machine, but the KK ones look fun to do and warm!

I've been practicing crochet, which I learned just a few days ago. I'm de-stashing some old Sugar and Cream yarn as dish clothes, but I let my youngest put a bunch of brightly colored skeins of it into my cart at Walmart the other day, so I'm not ahead on yarn at all. At least I'm working on using it up, though.  Cheesy

Yesterday, I knitted one of these:
http://stitchandboots.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/87/
It was a good lesson on yarn over increases and decreases, and I mostly enjoyed making it. The thing that I had some trouble with was the knitting 2 together on the decrease. I was using some plastic #9 needles. I wonder if this would be easier on metal needles. Those stitches were tight to knit, and the needles were a bit flexible. I probably just need practice, but this seemed harder on my hands than it should have been. I hope I can figure out a better way of knitting the decreases. I'd love to make more of these.

I'll try to get pics up later on today, after I get batteries in the camera.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2010 06:24:10 AM »

hmmm--I actually like working with plastic needles better because they are flexible...mine are all bendy now, but I love them...since all of the stitches are knit, the decreases should be easier, not harder...I hate to decrease in purls!

Not sure how you are doing them, laughinglark, so I have no tips for you...maybe just knit looser in general?

Thanks Mio!  I am looking to expand the use of my KK...I would love to try a stripey hat using your tips!  The swirly ones sounds a bit more complicated, but I think I might try that as well...it is a good way to produce a lot of hats for charity--fast and inexpensive!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010 06:26:02 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MiLady
« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2010 05:40:47 AM »

Yeah, I can justify my yarn purchases like any good junkie... Wink

THIS is totally me!  I can justify just about anything if I need to.  Cheesy

I haven't done much destashing lately, but I did make a few things in January that I haven't shared pictures of yet.  I'm going to bed now, but will try to post pics in the next few days.

This is totally me too, faulty items that are reduced in shops, shoes, clothes, wool, fabric, notebooks..infact stationary of any kind, underwear (as long as it matches), anything that is pretty or glittery, has a snowflake on or is related to disney...the list goes on. I have no shame either. Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 05:41:36 AM by MiLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2010 06:21:04 AM »

I did manage to use up the three skeins I purchased to make baby/toddler hats for charity!!  My hubby is going to give on of the hats to my tester/model to see if she likes it and that it fits...she is one outspoken little four year old, but I am sure she will love the hat...three skeins made 5 hats!!! All crochet...onec approved, I will post pics!!

I know I said I was sick of yarn...that lasted about one day... Cheesy

I cut out lots of fabric and I needed a small break, so back to yarn....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2010 08:41:39 AM »

Well at least you are making things for charity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
LaughingLark
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2010 09:12:11 AM »

My first needle knit hat is done! It's knitted in the round, and since I was too lazy to make a swatch first, I knitted it way too big for anyone in my family.  Cheesy

My youngest wanted it, and has been running around the house with it on his head this morning. I learned a lot on this hat, even though it's not really wearable. I struggled with the decreases, and it shows, but they were easier to knit than on the dishcloth I did the other day.

I think I know what I had trouble with here, and I'll try another hat soon.  Smiley

Here are my dishcloths that I've been learning on. Eventually I'll be making ones that I can give as gifts. I really like making these, so I'll keep de-stashing and practicing my way through my cotton yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #547 on: February 18, 2010 09:16:49 AM »

At least your stitches are nice and uniform!!!

If the kid likes the hat, who cares! I made one that was way too big and just did a simple crochet chain and threaded it through the bottom and tied it into a knot on the inside...It has enough stretch for me to put it on but is tight enough not to fall off! Cheesy

You are doing great--and learning from each project! You go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2010 10:18:15 AM »

I actually got some de-stashing done as well. I managed to make some very fun and simple baby shower gifts. As soon as I get pictures taken, I will post them.

It's awesome to see everyone staying on track so well! This thread really is good encouragement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: February 18, 2010 11:15:52 AM »

I love that hat! That looks like a very happy child! One thing you could do is simply crochet a few rows of single crochet around the edge, skipping a stitch now and then. Also, if you don't want to do that, you could use Always' suggestion and just make a string tie. It's totally fixable!
And far too pretty to let it go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 205 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Spade Unveils New Looks For Fashion Week
Allison McNamara Shops for a Fashion Week Wardrobe
Alexa Chung on When She First Fell in Love with Fashion
Kirsten Dunst Steals the Show in a Stella McCartney Short Suit
VMA Fashion Throughout The Years
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...